Washer fluid

roston100

Reaction score
Am I ok to use off the shelf washer fluid for my 04 plate TDI? ie from my local petrol station? Am sure I heard before that it had to be specific fluid - though that may have been someone winding me up!

Thanks

I think someone was winding you up. Just use any type you wish.

Reactions: roston100
You might be thinking of engine collant which requires a specific audi one G12 i believe. But for washer fluid use what you want.

Yes, use what you want but make sure you either get the concentrated type ( more expensive ) and dilute 50/50 or if you want to buy the cheaper 'ready for use' type do not mix it with water. They look the same in the container so read the label !!

I fell for that last year and ended up with a new rear wiper motor due to freezing fluid and pipes popping off !

The Audi one is supposed to contain chemicals to prevent limescale which blocks your jets up I think, but not sure that justifies the price difference.

The Audi one is supposed to contain chemicals to prevent limescale which blocks your jets up I think, but not sure that justifies the price difference.

You can buy a filter from Audi for a couple of quid (ish) which fits into the top of the washer bottle. This is so fine it stops any gunge getting into the bottle in the first place. Don't understand why it isn't fitted on all Audi cars unless mine had one and got lost by the previous owner ! Never had a blockage problem since.

If making your own mix, just dont use loads of washing up liquid, as it can froth up so much it blocks the jets for ages lmfao.

Vag group made a thing on VW cars with the fan style washer jets as they blocked up for a past time and VW got funny when replacing blocked jets in saying consumers should be using their washer fluid.

To be honest I do use their fluid as I think it's quite good and its reasonably priced but then the mileage I do a bottle will last me a year or so.