S Tronic S3, any driving tips when changing down into tight beds

dave_garnz

Reaction score
Have had my STronic S3 for a week now. On A roads, Dual Carriageways etc it rips. But on some of a 'drivers road' I'm finding the lack of clutch a bit weird and even though I tap down a couple of gears, not having a hand on the stick can leave me not knowing what gear I'm in I guess and reluctant to look down when cornering etc. Any tips to improve the experience greatly appreciated. I learnt to drive in the country where there were awesome lanes and roads so do like a bit of a shred :blackrs4:

It took me about 3 months to fully appreciate just how intuitive and intelligent the S-Tronic gearbox is. I just can't think of any situations now where I don't fully trust it to just do the best possible thing in all driving. Unless I just want to hear the turbo spool-up slowly by holding a tall gear, I leave all the hard work to the S-Tronic and don't trouble it with my human inputs!

If you must, you can shift manually with the central gear lever (i.e. like a manual gearbox) - just push the stick left when in "D" or "S" and then shift forward and backward to change gear - this seems like the simplest way to re-create the manual gearbox experience.

It does take a while to get used to S-Tronic, but once you are used to it, and in M mode it becomes 2nd nature, like the manual gear box once was

I agree. I'm on my third A3 with an S-tronic and would never want to go back to a manual. I drive almost exclusively in 'tiptronic' mode changing gear using the stick or paddles. It's great being able to change between gears without having to play with the clutch.

Just stick it in manual mode when you feel like having some extra driver experience or put it in D when you drink coffee, hold your left arm on your missus thighs or whatever:]. What I do like about S tronic is that extra pop everytime you change gear, dont get that with manual gearbox

It took me about 3 months to fully appreciate just how intuitive and intelligent the S-Tronic gearbox is. I just can't think of any situations now where I don't fully trust it to just do the best possible thing in all driving. Unless I just want to hear the turbo spool-up slowly by holding a tall gear, I leave all the hard work to the S-Tronic and don't trouble it with my human inputs!

If you must, you can shift manually with the central gear lever (i.e. like a manual gearbox) - just push the stick left when in "D" or "S" and then shift forward and backward to change gear - this seems like the simplest way to re-create the manual gearbox experience.

You all should bought manual S3:racer:
S-Tronic is great but manual is manual!

but s-tronic is quicker to 60 and gets lower emissions

dont you get a display on your dis like i do in my a6 lemans tip.

just glance at the rev counter and you will know if you are in the "appropriate" gear for the fun you want to have

You all should bought manual S3:racer:
S-Tronic is great but manual is manual!

I think the sound of the s tronic going through the gears on the paddles is maybe one of the best sounds ever! have spent more time driving in d mode and up and down thru the paddles, am getting used to it more just some of the tight bends just need that bit more confidence :thrashi: