Badger5Monster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ads

Thread: S Tronic S3, any driving tips when changing down into tight beds

Neutral

Status

S Tronic S3, any driving tips when changing down into tight beds

Have had my STronic S3 for a week now. On A roads, Dual Carriageways etc it rips. But on some of a 'drivers road' I'm finding the lack of clutch a bit weird and even though I tap down a couple of gears, not having a hand on the stick can leave me not knowing what gear I'm in I guess and reluctant to look down when cornering etc. Any tips to improve the experience greatly appreciated. I learnt to drive in the country where there were awesome lanes and roads so do like a bit of a shred

2. # ADS
    ADS

On a journey...

Status
    It took me about 3 months to fully appreciate just how intuitive and intelligent the S-Tronic gearbox is. I just can't think of any situations now where I don't fully trust it to just do the best possible thing in all driving. Unless I just want to hear the turbo spool-up slowly by holding a tall gear, I leave all the hard work to the S-Tronic and don't trouble it with my human inputs!

If you must, you can shift manually with the central gear lever (i.e. like a manual gearbox) - just push the stick left when in "D" or "S" and then shift forward and backward to change gear - this seems like the simplest way to re-create the manual gearbox experience.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

3rd Gear

Status
    It does take a while to get used to S-Tronic, but once you are used to it, and in M mode it becomes 2nd nature, like the manual gear box once was

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Butler View Post
    It does take a while to get used to S-Tronic, but once you are used to it, and in M mode it becomes 2nd nature, like the manual gear box once was
    I agree. I'm on my third A3 with an S-tronic and would never want to go back to a manual. I drive almost exclusively in 'tiptronic' mode changing gear using the stick or paddles. It's great being able to change between gears without having to play with the clutch.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Just stick it in manual mode when you feel like having some extra driver experience or put it in D when you drink coffee, hold your left arm on your missus thighs or whatever:]. What I do like about S tronic is that extra pop everytime you change gear, dont get that with manual gearbox
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    It took me about 3 months to fully appreciate just how intuitive and intelligent the S-Tronic gearbox is. I just can't think of any situations now where I don't fully trust it to just do the best possible thing in all driving. Unless I just want to hear the turbo spool-up slowly by holding a tall gear, I leave all the hard work to the S-Tronic and don't trouble it with my human inputs!

If you must, you can shift manually with the central gear lever (i.e. like a manual gearbox) - just push the stick left when in "D" or "S" and then shift forward and backward to change gear - this seems like the simplest way to re-create the manual gearbox experience.
    You all should bought manual S3
    S-Tronic is great but manual is manual!
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

2nd Gear

Status
    but s-tronic is quicker to 60 and gets lower emissions
    V8 baby... oh yeah

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin0478 View Post
    but s-tronic is quicker to 60 and gets lower emissions
    That's true but i personally like it manual,it gives you that cherry on the top!
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

Interior Next!!

Status
    count gears in your head???
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

2nd Gear

Status
    dont you get a display on your dis like i do in my a6 lemans tip.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

1st Gear

Status
    just glance at the rev counter and you will know if you are in the "appropriate" gear for the fun you want to have
    2009 A3 1.6 TDI Sport Phantom Black, iPod and RNSe

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pinterovski View Post
    That's true but i personally like it manual,it gives you that cherry on the top!
    Dsg/S-tronic is the cherry on top of the other cherry!
    Double cherry FTW!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pinterovski View Post
    You all should bought manual S3
    S-Tronic is great but manual is manual!
    I think the sound of the s tronic going through the gears on the paddles is maybe one of the best sounds ever! have spent more time driving in d mode and up and down thru the paddles, am getting used to it more just some of the tight bends just need that bit more confidence