ESP and ABS

1inchpunch

Reaction score
I take it if you switch the ESP off then the ABS doesn't work in an Audi? I'm assuming this because my car was even crapper than a rear wheel drive BMW in the snow this morning and previous experience in other cars has been that ABS does work even if traction control is off.

This morning I had ESP off so I could get up a hill but when coming down the brakes just locked and the car turned into a big scary sledge. Fortunately the kerb stopped me from hitting a wall.

Thank god the snow has melted now.

ABS as above is active all of the time and ESP will activate under braking if I remember.

Is yours a Quattro? ... No problems like you described here last year on the snow and ice.

Oh dear, it seems the A3 is the worst thing I've ever driven in the snow then. It was fine going up hill (something the BMW couldn't do) but the brakes were just locking all over the place coming down. This was crawling and I mean CRAWLING in first gear with gentle pressure, not sudden or hard braking.

Sadly it's not Quattro which I assume would be slightly better.

Another thing you may or may not know, if you press the ESP button on the dash, it doesn't actually turn it off.

All it does is not cut in as soon, if you are wellying the car around and you almost get the point of stuffing the car or loosing control, the ESP will kick in again even though you've turned it off and try get you back to normal.

Oh dear, it seems the A3 is the worst thing I've ever driven in the snow then. It was fine going up hill (something the BMW couldn't do) but the brakes were just locking all over the place coming down. This was crawling and I mean CRAWLING in first gear with gentle pressure, not sudden or hard braking.Sadly it's not Quattro which I assume would be slightly better.
It's actually a LOT better,which is of course no consolation!
Another thing you may or may not know, if you press the ESP button on the dash, it doesn't actually turn it off. All it does is not cut in as soon, if you are wellying the car around and you almost get the point of stuffing the car or loosing control, the ESP will kick in again even though you've turned it off and try get you back to normal.
I think this may be incorrect,as whenever I've done this with mine,there is no evidence of the ESP cutting back in under hard accleration where the traction control would cut in with ESP engaged(and by that I mean same corner,and same conditions).

Another thing you may or may not know, if you press the ESP button on the dash, it doesn't actually turn it off.

All it does is not cut in as soon, if you are wellying the car around and you almost get the point of stuffing the car or loosing control, the ESP will kick in again even though you've turned it off and try get you back to normal.

Not sure that I'd agree with that. I had the ESP off during last years snow and never experienced it kicking in again. Maybe I'm not wellying it hard enough?!

prob summers mines not that bad. wtf didnt i get a quattro

surly not ? they are startking from £15K with with 40k on the clock