AH FabricationsChris Nott

Status

Question Thermal management for ancillary engine components as part of Stg 2+ modifications

It won't be long before the stage 2 modifications commence after Xmas. I have all the relevant bits apart from the code (and a clutch plate), and before I refit the parts from my S3 8P2, I've been cleaning all the bits up ready for re-installation in the New Year.

I was going to get some reflect-a-gold tape for the intake, but I'm REALLY not a fan of the colour gold, too ostentatious for me, so have been exploring alternative options. Heat seems to be such a big issue for these engines at Stg 2 + especially if like me you aren't running with I/C or WMI, so wondering if some careful choosing of bits like the ITG metal pipes for the CAI, the exhaust system (in black to match the car) will be easy to get coated whilst they're sat about. Wondering if there is any other bits that could be considered too (although the bit I should do (exhaust manifold) I can't be bothered to take off as I'm lazy.

I came across these guys who are semi-local to me, and wondered if anyone had used these guys, has any thoughts as to whether these treatments might be good, detrimental or otherwise.

Zircotec, Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Exhaust treatments

Zircotec Performance white ceramic coating

Zircotec Diamond Black thermal coating

Thermal barrier coatings for components

2. # ADS
    ADS

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Looks good, might be interested in doing this as well. You got any quotes from them?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Looks good, might be interested in doing this as well. You got any quotes from them?
    No, only found the website last night so going to try and visit them when I'm off next week and take the bits in to show them. Don't imagine it will be cheap, but then nothing ever is unless you are trying to sell to someone else and they want it for peanuts!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    No, only found the website last night so going to try and visit them when I'm off next week and take the bits in to show them. Don't imagine it will be cheap, but then nothing ever is unless you are trying to sell to someone else and they want it for peanuts!
    Ha, very true! Keep us updated...
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Zircotec are the business.

I've used a good bit of Zircoflex around the turbo area on mine to protect the cables and diff areas.

I got the tip from JonnyC who's used it on his cars which are dafter than mine by a good margin.

The ceramic exhaust coating is expensive and from 20 000 miles experience without it, probably unnecessary.

Likewise gold tape....looks shiny and so on but it isn't a substitute for a big intercooler and water meth probably isn't needed below Stg3.

You can get turbo exhaust side heat jackets from Owen Developments but you do need to be careful with these as they naturally retain heat around the bearing section and will need a few minutes to cool after a hard run.
    Last edited by S3Alex; 16th December 2011 at 10:11.

Status
    Thinking of coating ITG pipes, then getting a sheet of Zircoflex to supplement the ITG's heatshield.

I'm also considering getting a bespoke air scoop fabricated which directs air from the original intake and towards the head of the filter.

It might be a cheaper option than having TBE coated, but see how much quotes are. Was quite tempted by black exhaust with black car (+ it's low maintenance!)

Rarely neutral

Status
    The ceramic coating is white as far as I know.

I didn't get all of my system coated and haven't had any heat problems so far.

On the intake side,a cold air feed to the intake is all very well but won't make a big difference after the air has been through the turbo.

If you want to squeeze the last bits out of the K04, then a larger intercooler such as the Proalloy is the best way to maintain cooler air temps at the manifold.

5th Gear

Status
    I think RS3 has got some coating put on exhaust hasnt it?
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    I think RS3 has got some coating put on exhaust hasnt it?
    Where did you see that ?.....I've seen no mention of it elsewhere,or on the exhausts being removed from RS's over on the other forum.
    In any case,I'd think it very unlikely that Audi would do that as an OEM treatment,but I think that Warren's main concern is heatsoak into the induction system.....coating or shielding areas with ZIrcoflex or Zircotec ceramics is a very effective method of doing this,but the major area of intake air heating on a Stg2+ or above car is the stock intercooler,which really doesn't manage well at those levels.