A1 or A3 1.2tfsi?

Reaction score
A friend of mine has past his test this morning and has been looking at getting an A1 1.2tfsi. The one he's looking at is a well specced low mileage 10 plate from a main dealer and is coming up at £16000. Alternatively there is an A3 1.2tfsi on a 10 plate with 10,000 miles not quite as well specced but still nice for £13500 at another main dealer. Does anybody know what they compare like in costs to insure, and does either have any downsides? Thanks.

I wouldn't want to spend that much on a first car, unless he's loaded that is..

hi mate audi liverpool have a sline a3 2.0tdi for 13k with 28 on the clock 8p3. go for tdi to lower insurance thats the reson i stared on the dervs. first car 206 gti tdi insurance sooo much lower that a standard 1.6 focus.

Not exactly loaded, but he's 20 lives at home so has no bills and takes home about £1500 a month which burns a hole in his pocket. I did tell him that for the £600 a month he's going to pay for the priveledge he could probably get an S3 8l and insure it. Maybe i'm a bad influence. :yes:

hi mate audi liverpool have a sline a3 2.0tdi for 13k with 28 on the clock 8p3. go for tdi to lower insurance thats the reson i stared on the dervs. first car 206 gti tdi insurance sooo much lower that a standard 1.6 focus.
Thanks mate i'll pass that on. Will getting a 5 door make a difference too?

tbh mate i had a 17 yo mate with a new IS200 ( in the days when they where over 20K). his cus had an rs focus at 18. but they both couldnt runn the buggers.

i would say get somthing newer than a 8l s3 i would never have one. if he wants sothing quick what about a 1.9 or 2.0 tdi quattro ? if hes just passed tho thats a quick way yo kill himself. and bth the lad with the lexus totaled it in the rain after 6 months.

Last edited:
Yeah tbh he's after the looks and just the fact he's got an Audi more than speed, hence the 1.2. I had a 1ltr metro for my first car and treated it like the banger it was. It's just hard to justify getting a sub £1000 car and then paying £2000+ to insure the thing. I feel for the youngsters now, no wonder so many just don't bother.

If it was me id get a less expensive car keep it for 6 months to a year then get something like the a3 he will appreciate it much more and can insure a bigger engine. That's exactly what I done had a 1.2 vauxhall corsa then year later I bought BMW 1 series diesel i appreciated the car alot more than if it was my first car I believe. But good luck to him nonetheless.

Sound advice mate, and just what a lot of people have told him. But throw into the equation his mate over the road whos just got a special edition corsa, and a new bird on the scene who's got well to do parents and drives a mini cooper convertible, and it's advice that goes in one and out the other. Tbh he is actually quite sensible and hopefully he's not the type to wrap it up quickly acting like a knob!

how about a 04/05 plate Audi A3 1.6 petrol? its cheap to buy and cheaper to insure than a 2.0 TDI... if he just passed he not even get insured on the 2.0 TDI.
my mate just picked up his first car which was a A3 1.6 petrol with about 70k miles on the clock for £3k. still a tidy looking car as he didnt want to be 'like others in a corsa' but also good for a first car.
IMO all new drivers should not be allowed to drive anything over a 1.4, and it should be at least 10 years old... that way they can crash it and the insurance companies wont need to make big payouts thus making insurance cheaper overall!

Sounds like a good idea, maybe set cars for boys and girls you should e-mail David Cameron. Probably against their human rights though. I'll get back on autotrader and see if i can push him in the right direction.

The value of the car isn't the main concern with insurers - it's the third party claims that arise!
More the power and how likely they are to crash into other things/cars tbh

The trouble isn't the cost of fixing or replacing the newly passed drivers car. It's the cost of fixing the £30k+ Audi or BMW that they hit plus all the other expenses..... don't get me started on insurance.

Out of the 2 cars I would think the A1 would be better. It's a bit more modern and I'd think it would suit that engine better. The A3 just seems a bit big for a 1.2 in my opinion. My wife has a 1.2 Seat Ibiza and it wouldn't pull you out of bed in the morning.

I know young people insist on trying to out do each other with flash cars, I was the same at that age. If I could turn back the clock I would have saved what I spent on cars, drove a banger and would have a much better car or far more impressive savings account balance now.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe set cars for boys and girls you should e-mail David Cameron. Probably against their human rights though. I'll get back on autotrader and see if i can push him in the right direction.

nah mate i dont agree with the sexist idea... i couldnt care less if the boys were driving a pink Fiesta or a Yaris... although i would and laugh at the pansy :p

Human rights? I work for Amnesty! Seriously i do...
i dont think it would affect any right to limit a new driver to a specific type of car to lower the danger of accident, do you?
in the end its just a limit on the engine spec and max value of the car so that repairs would be cheaper and insurance write offs would be cheaper. i mean the points system on the licence is limited to 6 points for new drivers and thats not affecting any rights.

And can you think of how many daddys out there can thank me for them not having to spend £15k on their daughters shiny new first car cos the girl is a spoilt brat and he knows there would be no way he can get away with giving her a banger for the first car? ok yes its their own fault that the child turned out that way, shouldnt have given the spoilt little princess EVERYTHING she wanted! :p

I feel sad when i think of the next generation coming into their adult lives, so much pressure keep up with peers and to impress others... they dont want the same cars as other kids as its too common. if they had that limit on the cars they wouldnt really have a choice...

so who knows what email address i can send the letter to, so it gets to Cameron

If he's adamant on getting either the A1 or A3 for the looks then I'd go for the A3 as frankly the A1 is a bit ghastly.

nah mate i dont agree with the sexist idea... i couldnt care less if the boys were driving a pink Fiesta or a Yaris... although i would and laugh at the pansy :p

Human rights? I work for Amnesty! Seriously i do...
i dont think it would affect any right to limit a new driver to a specific type of car to lower the danger of accident, do you?
in the end its just a limit on the engine spec and max value of the car so that repairs would be cheaper and insurance write offs would be cheaper. i mean the points system on the licence is limited to 6 points for new drivers and thats not affecting any rights.

And can you think of how many daddys out there can thank me for them not having to spend £15k on their daughters shiny new first car cos the girl is a spoilt brat and he knows there would be no way he can get away with giving her a banger for the first car? ok yes its their own fault that the child turned out that way, shouldnt have given the spoilt little princess EVERYTHING she wanted! :p

I feel sad when i think of the next generation coming into their adult lives, so much pressure keep up with peers and to impress others... they dont want the same cars as other kids as its too common. if they had that limit on the cars they wouldnt really have a choice...

so who knows what email address i can send the letter to, so it gets to Cameron

In principal I agree with the idea of putting a power limit on the car you can have right after passing your test. The motorbike test works that way so why not cars? However, as we've seen with the bike test, there will be a massive loop hole left in the structure which will mean anyone willing to pay a little extra can do a fast track course to get on the bigger machines before they are really ready.

The best bit about the idea of limiting the cars young drivers can have is the thought of all those premiership footballers driving around in Ford Ka's :)

WOW £16000 on a first car!! I remember getting my first car it was a Fiat Punto 1.2 for £1000 and it served me well for 4yrs and built up my NCBs. Only ever took out third party,fire & theft on this as it was basically disposible and kept my premium at and minium!! Anyway if he is confident that he is a good driver and confident to deal with any issue on the road having only passed this morning than i would say get a A1 if your going for the 1.2TFSI. The engine will feel quicker and more responsive in the A1 as it smaller and lighter chassis.

Last edited:
A KA with range rover wheels and privacy glass! Sounds like Max Powers back. I spoke to my mate earlier and the insurance quote for the A3 is about 2 grand dearer than the A1! with the same engine and a lesser spec that sound a bit rediculous but i'm sure there's reasons. A power cap on new drivers is a quality idea, then they'd all be driving mk1 fiestas with 1 seat and plastic windows to be faster than their mates.

He only takes 1500 a month home and hes affording a car like that? I'm in the same position but only 19 until april, if i was him i'd go for a older car like a 07 A3 to give him more tolerance on insurance, all depends on the person themselves like, just my opinion but he will be devistated if he makes a mistake and the car gets a bang!

Thanks mate i'll pass that on. Will getting a 5 door make a difference too?
TBH yes my a3 sport 3dr 2.0 tdi is £7 grand cheaper thank my sline at £13k but my insurance is £50 less.
i looked at this when getting mine and i would say get a 5 door any way if he wants to be realistic( cost of car+ insurance) and not want an audi. i would say a golf tdi 5 door. just bang some gti wheels on it or the audi a3 sport wheels that look like the gti's.

He was set on a new shape polo and was going for 16" monza wheels and a drop. Then someone took him to Maidstone Audi to have a look
about and now he's set on a glacier white a1 with oem 17's. Nice little car and the insurance isn't too bad compared to stuff a lot worse, but
£16000 for your first car is mental!

Sold them last night for £150 in perfect condition and 3 5mm michelin tyres on! Had to get rid due to them being in the garage taking up too much space! How do i change my sig? I'm on an iphone so can't reduce a pictureto the size to fit on a sig! .. I just think 16000 is a lttle much for a first car but each to their own! I ha a Grande punto for my first car, fair dues i had it for 4 month before i changed but it got me used to the roads in a little car with a small engine until i was good enough to progress, that said the car was £4000 so still not the cheapest

i drove about in a crappy 1.2 corsa b for a yr and half before i went to a 1.6 focus.... built up my no claims and experience... never paid more than a grand on my insurance.

i throw this one and wait for the replies......

isn't a A1 a ladies car?????:undwech: waiting for them :lmfao:

Yeah, I was going to say that. It's like driving around in a vagina unless it's the s-line with all the bells and whistles.

Something else this guy may want to think about is that if he's making £1500 and he's going to spend £600 on a car then i'd assume at least another £150 on insurance then how long is that going to be for? Does he still want to be living at his parents in several years time? Will he be able to afford any repairs or even a new set of tyres if needs must. On his salary it just seems stupid.

He was set on a new shape polo and was going for 16" monza wheels and a drop. Then someone took him to Maidstone Audi to have a look
about and now he's set on a glacier white a1 with oem 17's. Nice little car and the insurance isn't too bad compared to stuff a lot worse, but
£16000 for your first car is mental!

Thats like my bird taking me to look at a new rs3

i drove about in a crappy 1.2 corsa b for a yr and half before i went to a 1.6 focus.... built up my no claims and experience... never paid more than a grand on my insurance.
:arco:
pretend the fingers are the other way around ! lol

It is a bit girly that's why I tried to throw the a3 into the mix. It's only 285 a month for the car the rest of the 600 is the insurance! I do quite
like the look of the competition line though, it just needs a 2.5 turbo and Quattro.

i throw this one and wait for the replies......

isn't a A1 a ladies car?????:undwech: waiting for them :lmfao:

Yeah, I was going to say that. It's like driving around in a vagina unless it's the s-line with all the bells and whistles.

Something else this guy may want to think about is that if he's making £1500 and he's going to spend £600 on a car then i'd assume at least another £150 on insurance then how long is that going to be for? Does he still want to be living at his parents in several years time? Will he be able to afford any repairs or even a new set of tyres if needs must. On his salary it just seems stupid.

glad it wasnt me who said it lol.
@ 1 inch punch what you use to snow foam your car ( avitar )

It is a bit girly that's why I tried to throw the a3 into the mix. It's only 285 a month for the car the rest of the 600 is the insurance! I do quite
like the look of the competition line though, it just needs a 2.5 turbo and Quattro.
£285 on a car you dont own ?

Not too sure on the details but it does sound a bit like leasing. He's back at work tomorrow so I'll show him all these posts and see if they can
convince him to tone it down a bit. We'll see.

Personally.. The A3! The 1.2 TFSI in the A1 in comparison to the A3 is a different engine. The A1 gives out 85 BHP whilst the A3 has 105 BHP.

I'd be interested to see how it drives under 1500 RPM though?

Last edited:
285 a month to lease an A3? I'd want to be driving alot better than an A3 if i paid that without owning it after 3-5 years, my mates just got a top spec white on black Audi TT convertable with RS kit for 18000 and he pays not much more than that and he owns it, Leasing is aload of ****, if i was him i would do what i did.. I paid 6500 on a decent A3 in good condition, i paid it off in cash because beleive it or not, i SAVED for it whilst driving a ****ty Grande punto, now i'm in a good position for whichever path i lead, new car, house, multiple holidays etc, that given my salary is abit more than 1500, but i am still only 19.. Don't rush into nothing, think about the future not about the next couple of months of the 'new car feeling' .. Not trying to be nasty just trying to give my opinion

285 a month to lease an A3? I'd want to be driving alot better than an A3 if i paid that without owning it after 3-5 years, my mates just got a top spec white on black Audi TT convertable with RS kit for 18000 and he pays not much more than that and he owns it, Leasing is aload of ****, if i was him i would do what i did.. I paid 6500 on a decent A3 in good condition, i paid it off in cash because beleive it or not, i SAVED for it whilst driving a ****ty Grande punto, now i'm in a good position for whichever path i lead, new car, house, multiple holidays etc, that given my salary is abit more than 1500, but i am still only 19.. Don't rush into nothing, think about the future not about the next couple of months of the 'new car feeling' .. Not trying to be nasty just trying to give my opinion

Jesus you'll be putting Richard Branson in his place at this rate!! :/

£285 a month for a NEW A3 in my opinion is a fair deal. Obviously because the car is new, it will loose more value (as it has more value to depreciate) hence the higher cost.

To be honest it's everyones opinion what they want to do. I've never looked into leasing or finance, so I don't fully understand how it works - but if there working and can easily afford it..then why not?

Last edited:
Insurance: As long as he stays with the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI, it's not going to make much difference with the A1 or A3 - his age will bump it up to silly money, and the car will be a couple of hundred either way on top of that.

I wouldn't go for an A3 with the 1.2TFSI though. In an A1/Polo sized car it's reasonably nippy, but the A3 has that little extra weight and I'd want the 1.4TFSI for reasonable performance (basing my opinions here on trying the Polo and Golf with the same engines - the 1.2 in the A3 has more power, but still feels sluggish)

As for people saying not to get the car - if he's got the money why not? The running costs are the same if not less with the newer car. Insurance can again actually be less on a new car than a banger if you're young (they figure an 18 year old in a banger is careless, probably with good reason)... as long as he can afford the initial outlay, he's not going to be spending more day to day.

Although if I were him, I'd be going for a Polo SEL 1.2TFSI (105bhp). Veeery nice little cars.

Insurance: As long as he stays with the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI, it's not going to make much difference with the A1 or A3 - his age will bump it up to silly money, and the car will be a couple of hundred either way on top of that.

I wouldn't go for an A3 with the 1.2TFSI though. In an A1/Polo sized car it's reasonably nippy, but the A3 has that little extra weight and I'd want the 1.4TFSI for reasonable performance (basing my opinions here on trying the Polo and Golf with the same engines - the 1.2 in the A3 has more power, but still feels sluggish)

As for people saying not to get the car - if he's got the money why not? The running costs are the same if not less with the newer car. Insurance can again actually be less on a new car than a banger if you're young (they figure an 18 year old in a banger is careless, probably with good reason)... as long as he can afford the initial outlay, he's not going to be spending more day to day.

Although if I were him, I'd be going for a Polo SEL 1.2TFSI (105bhp). Veeery nice little cars.

I think I'm going to try and persuade him to go for the polo he wanted originally. It was a 1.2 moda which was quite well specced and 0%
finance for 3 years meant that for £201 a month he'd then own it. The only downside is the small deposit, but tbh he can afford it and it's a
much better deal. And cheaper insurance, £2500 for the polo, £3200 for the a1, and £5000 for the a3!

I think I'm going to try and persuade him to go for the polo he wanted originally. It was a 1.2 moda which was quite well specced and 0%
finance for 3 years meant that for £201 a month he'd then own it. The only downside is the small deposit, but tbh he can afford it and it's a
much better deal. And cheaper insurance, £2500 for the polo, £3200 for the a1, and £5000 for the a3!

:ohmy: £2500 to insure a polo? £5000 to insure an A3? some on here have paid less than £5k for their A3 let alone the insurance!!
thats just silly!! if insurance cost that much for me i would make sure that i get a job with a company car so that the insurance is covered or just walk to work! thats just a ridiculous amount to pay

i pay over £1000 i am 25 and have 6 yrs ncb and no points