Which oil? Longlife 3 530PD?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I had my car serviced about 3 months ago which involved an oil change. Checked the level today and it has dropped by about a third.

First of all is this normal to lose so much in 3 months? Never lost that much oil before the service anyway.

Secondly, I rang up the garage and asked what oil they used so that I could match it when topping up and he said Longlife 3 530PD. Best get it from VW as there is no off the shelf oil alternative.

Is this right? Am I best sticking to the OEM oil, or is there an off the shelf alternative I can use? Just wondering as I'd like to get some today asap.

Anyone? :)

Sorry to be impatient, I leave work in an hour and would really like to top up my oil on the way home.

Ta

I had to top up my 140 Golf with a litre of oil once, i got a low oil warning so i filled up with whatever the garage had, It didn't cause any problems but using the same oil is preferable

Quantum Oil Range - Synta, Longlife, Platinum

You can buy the longlife oil from this site, £9 for a small bottle. I'd stick a piece of cardboard under the car overnight as well to rule out leakage

I had to top up my 140 Golf with a litre of oil once, i got a low oil warning so i filled up with whatever the garage had, It didn't cause any problems but using the same oil is preferable

Quantum Oil Range - Synta, Longlife, Platinum

You can buy the longlife oil from this site, £9 for a small bottle. I'd stick a piece of cardboard under the car overnight as well to rule out leakage

Thanks for the reply.

I had to resort in getting a litre of Castrol Edge 5w30 for longlife services (audi/vw) from Halffords - £16.99 for a litre !!

Good idea on the cardboard tip - I'll try that tonight :)

Castrol make quantum for Audi/VW so the 2 oils maybe similar, good old halfords prices! lol

Last edited:
Castrol make quantum for Audi/VW so the 2 oils maybe similar, good old halfords prices! lol

I know yeah, it was one of those moments of desperation where I had nowhere else to go haha

Pretty much sums up 95% of their business model :)