Winter Tyres," I have a plan"

jamessg1962

Reaction score
Just a thought i had don't know if it's been tried before.
I was thinking of buying another reduced size spare wheel ,probably from E bay , Then getting winter tyres put on them and putting them on the front of my car .
Anybody got any recommendations whether this is viable or legal . I know the spares are supposed to be ran only up to 80 KPH but is that only because its smaller than normal wheels. Don't know if this would apply if you had two on !!!
Any comments appreciated .

Cheers James

Wouldn't give you any benefit, winter tyres have a high content of silica and the rubber reaches optimum grip at much lower temps than summer or space saver tyres.

The difference has to be felt to be believed, I am a total convert since last year and I've been driving 20+ years well worth the outlay.

Buy a set of 16" steelies and put 4 winter tyres on, if you just buy 2 and put them on the front, you will have front end control, if you leave standard tyres on the rear, in the snow theres a chance you will be facing the other way. They also make a big difference just driving in the wet.I'm running 205/55 16's and they went on this morning.

i put them a set on the wife's car last weekend, 225/40/18 £150 each from Camskill. They seem a lot better in the wet so far, wife doesn't see the point of them unsuprisingly!!

I actually have a spare set of Hankook 225/40/18 Ice Bears, brand new, they are currently on a spare set of VW Monza alloys that I was going to use on the GTi but this has now been sold, if anyone is interested give me a shout as already have a set on the S3 that I got off flea bay.

Decided to keep the above so no PM's please - obviously worth more to me than I thought :)

Might just wait until theres a foot of snow, shortage of tyres and only me that can deliver them :)

I put Michelin Alpins on my MK4 golf for the winter and I can't believe how good they are!
Took the PS2 shod S3 out just after to compare....no comparison!
Braking distance is less than halved with the winter tyres.
Fair enough to say the S3 ain't the 1st choice in the snow now!

From a technical point of view, this may work. In rally for example, winter tyres are extremely thin. The only problem may be that the rims may prevent your brakes from cooling down, so over time they will heat up. From a legal point of view, you're probably best contacting the AA for more advise, you can be more sure to get a correct answer.

Only 2 winter tyres is a recipe for spinning, a set of steelies is the way forwards.

I put Michelin Alpins on my MK4 golf for the winter and I can't believe how good they are!
Took the PS2 shod S3 out just after to compare....no comparison!
Braking distance is less than halved with the winter tyres.
Fair enough to say the S3 ain't the 1st choice in the snow now!

thats good to know feel like crying should have skinted myself and got a quattro

Here's a question - I've got a 2004 A4 diesel quattro. Can I fit 225/45/17's on the front and 235/45/17's on t'rear? Different opinons from everybody so far, so all you techies, whats the real score here??