AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

When should I stick my winter tyres on ?

Just an info probing question, I've bought some snow tyres for the winter, but as we have not had a good frost yet I'm a bit reluctent to stick them on at the moment and wear them out in the mild weather.
    They are meant to work from +7c and with the weather taking a turn for the worst this weekend, but not for very long, I was wandering when is a good time to put them on ?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I'm wondering the same with my Golf - I've been told "when its consistently belo 8 degree" but temps are all over the place at the moment... I guess Dec-Feb is a safe bet though?

1st Gear

Status
    Here's my suggestion.....NOW.
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

Neutral

Status
    My suggestion would also be now.

I managed to destroy my garage door last night by slipping down the driveway into it in the car.

Luckily the door took the damage and there's not a mark on the car.

3rd Gear

Status
    Put mine on yesterday.....they are at their best at temperatures below 7 degrees but you wont lose much as long as the temperature stays below 10 I reckon' , and as others have said, now looks like the time :-).

Amazed at how much higher the pressures are that you run these at though.....49psi on the front of my S3 SB !!!

Seems to ride well enough, but I am used to 225/35 19's !

Neutral

Status
    I concur with the others. I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. Ambient temp was generally around the 8-10 Degrees mark and I noticed no difference is how the car drove. Now its down to 1-2 degrees, they're coming into thier own

On a side note, I havent increased my pressures for them, I've kept them at the same 38 front 32 rear. Should I increase?

pjr
    Neutral

Status
    That seems rather high! - The sticker in the door reveal of mine suggests 32 for my summer 225/45x17s and 33 for winter (M+S) 205/55x16s - not an S3 right enough, but 49 seems very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Amazed at how much higher the pressures are that you run these at though.....49psi on the front of my S3 SB !!!
    Current - 2014 VW Golf GTI (220PS) - Tornado Red
    Previous - 2010 A3 1.6TDI Sport Cabriolet - Brilliant Red

Neutral

Status
    What sort of life do the winter tyres have, I know it depends on when you fit them & the road conditions there used in, but generally how long do they last?

2nd Gear

Status
    Get them on now and i think they should be used from november till feb/march but just my opinion
    S3 gone but not forgotten, now on a Golf R

3rd Gear

Status
    Apologies, the fronts are at 45, not 49 ( brain fade ) which is the recommended pressure on the door sticker for my S3 winter tyres
    ( 225/40 18 XL M & S ), rears are at 39.

Still seem pretty high to me, but there you go....Vorsprung Durch Technik and all that !!

No idea on longevity i'm afraid....first set i've ever had, but I would expect them to last several years.....there only on there for 3 months or so each year !!

6th Gear

Status
    Mileage and temperature dependant but I would expect to get at least 3 seasons out of them on average mileage. There is nothing like the feeling of being unstoppable when the snow arrives, never got stuck once last year in the wifes BMW even found myself going off the beaten track down side roads .
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    If you decide to fit winter tyres, it is best to do so between October / November and March depending if you live in the north or the south. Of course, as many other people say, the temperatures fluctuate, but in order to be prepared for any weather circumstances it's best to put them on for the whole winter period.
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

MPG the new BPH

Status
    where can i get cheap snow tyres for my spaire wheels 225/ 45/ 17

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

3rd Gear

Status
    Camskill has always been the cheapest I have seen, but you'll need to get them fitted at your local tyre fitters.

MPG the new BPH

Status

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Neutral

Status
    Stuck the winter tyres on yesterday after seeing a gritter on the way home on friday, just want it to snow now so I can try them out ;-)
    Wil keep you updated on how we are getting on :-)

MPG the new BPH

Status
    any cheap tyre sugestions please ?

Neutral

Status
    I went with Goodyear Ultragrip 8, got them from MyTyres complete with steel rims, came to about £560.
    Hope this helps

3rd Gear

Status
    if you wait till it snows, no one will be able to fit them. (unless you want to do it out in the snow, though if it snows while you are out?)

It is a sort of myth that they wear really really quick, I have had winter tyres on for 2 years on my van, and still only 50% worn, Last Year i had them on my S3 for over 6 months, and tbh they hardley worn at all, and I do not drive slow all the time, it really is how you drive.

1st Gear

Status
    Megeve, this morning, with my continental winter tyres. Best thing since sliced bread I say!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Eye View Post
    I went with Goodyear Ultragrip 8, got them from MyTyres complete with steel rims, came to about £560.
    Hope this helps
    thats good for rims too 17"?

MPG the new BPH

Status
    spencer Quattro?