• BP Ultimate

2 5.13%
  • Shell V-Power

37 94.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel

BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power?

Hey guys,

Decided I want to use a better quality fuel in the new car. Which one do you use / prefer and why...

Does it really make much of a difference?

Ta much...

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Tesco 99 is my usual flavour based purely on convenience, nearest Shell is 8 miles away.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    Tesco 99 is my usual flavour
    mine too , not because of the convenience thing because around by me its cheaper by 9p per litre
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    mine too , not because of the convenience thing because around by me its cheaper by 9p per litre
    Does it give the same sort of extra benefits as it would if it was Shell or BP?

3rd Gear

Status
    Have to be honest....I have only ever used either V-Power or Ultimate in all my Audi's.

I figure we spend so much on the car, and then either 'modding' it or keeping it on the road that it would be a bit silly in my opinion to then put cheap fuel in it.

Maybe i just believe the hype, but I've seen enough tests of premium fuels v cheap fuels to get comfort that the extra cost of premium fuels is worth paying.......I wouldn't get myself in top physical shape and then eat crap food....it's the same principal !! ( actually, I just wouldn't get myself in top physical shape :-))

1st Gear

Status
    I might be wrong, but back when I had my scooby, im sure it was posted on scoobynet, that Tesco fuels are ESSO??

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser89 View Post
    Does it give the same sort of extra benefits as it would if it was Shell or BP?
    yeah i think so mate its 99 octane so it gives a small increase in power but it makes my engine run so much smoother it was a little lumpy on idle on tesco99 its fine also i get a good increase in mpg too , but i do run a tank of shell in her every 5 tanks of tesco99 as its got really good cleaning qualities in it , i know my car is only a 1.6 but audi recommend all fsi engines to run on super unleaded so they know what they are doing it says so inside the fuel filler cap on mine to run it on 97 I'm not going to argue for more mpg lol

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    yeah i think so mate its 99 octane so it gives a small increase in power but it makes my engine run so much smoother it was a little lumpy on idle on tesco99 its fine also i get a good increase in mpg too , but i do run a tank of shell in her every 5 tanks of tesco99 as its got really good cleaning qualities in it , i know my car is only a 1.6 but audi recommend all fsi engines to run on super unleaded so they know what they are doing it says so inside the fuel filler cap on mine to run it on 97 I'm not going to argue for more mpg lol
    Sounds good... Think i may follow the same principle as you.

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser89 View Post
    Sounds good... Think i may follow the same principle as you.
    its like i said in an earlier post i only use tesco99 over shell because its 9p cheaper and the shell garage is way out of my way like the other way from where i live so its my chosen fuel

Neutral

Status
    Little while back fifth gear did a test on fuels, videos still on YouTube. Proven torque and bhp increases through the rev range on performance cars. No improvement in run of the mill 1.3 fiesta.
    Best fuel was tescos super (or whatever the call it) better than ultima/optima etc

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leeroywarner View Post
    Little while back fifth gear did a test on fuels, videos still on YouTube. Proven torque and bhp increases through the rev range on performance cars. No improvement in run of the mill 1.3 fiesta.
    Best fuel was tescos super (or whatever the call it) better than ultima/optima etc
    its tesco momentum99 mate

2nd Gear

Status
    used bt ultimate once in an old skyline and hit quite high knock (between 70-80 on WOT) ,tesco 99 is my preferred choice as my clubcard likes it and its decent fuel,i think bp is 97 octane too whereas tesco and v-power are both 99

6th Gear

Status
    Tesco 99 for the R32 - the missus does thw weekly shop there.

Shell V-Power for the Polo and the S2000 as its rated at 99ron when it comes out the pump.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leeroywarner View Post
    the thing is a 1.3 fiesta has a simple ecu and wont react to fuel like a car such as an S3 etc will,in fact there was a test with an impreza (think it was evo mag) and the results were surprising,think there was about a 20 hp difference

Neutral

Status
    Normal stuff for me, I've read mixed reviews about the 'high octane' fuels and have decided its not worth the cash ( IMO of course )

Rarely neutral

Status
    For a modified car,running high levels of boost,it's essential to use as high an octane fuel as possible,i.e 99RON if available,to avoid timing pull at high boost and intake temperatures.

I don't think in overall terms it makes a lot of difference using V-Power,Ultimate,or Momentum,as long as you use something in that range.

If the car and settings are stock,it won't make a huge difference.

flying oyster

Status
    i use v max when i can and when i run back to wales once a month my mpg is always better on the vmax than other fuel
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    For a modified car,running high levels of boost,it's essential to use as high an octane fuel as possible,i.e 99RON if available,to avoid timing pull at high boost and intake temperatures.

I don't think in overall terms it makes a lot of difference using V-Power,Ultimate,or Momentum,as long as you use something in that range.

If the car and settings are stock,it won't make a huge difference.
    on my car i need as much extra HP otherwise its so slow lol

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markie A3 View Post
    I might be wrong, but back when I had my scooby, im sure it was posted on scoobynet, that Tesco fuels are ESSO??
    yea tesco buy there fuel from esso as they dont have their own refinerys, but tesco add there own addatives to the fuel so the normal stuff is not as good as buying it from esso.
    A3 2009 2.0TDI sport aruba blue - 17" alloy wheels, half leather and alcantara seats, bluetooth telephone prep, aux, electric lumbar support, puddle lights, vanity lights.

mods so far - tinted windows, my11 rear lights.

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    1st choice Shell V power, 2nd BP Ultimate and if i'm caught short the nearest bush for a quick squirt then a top up at prev choices.

I heard that the higher the performance engine the more noticable gains can be had.
    Regards
    HeliFella

I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

3rd Gear

Status
    Petrol using premium fuel (tesco 99) does make it run better

Diesel using premium fuel can't see a difference

From the research I did a while ago, all the fuel comes from the same refinery except for premium fuel like ultimate

the brands like esso and shell will put additives into the tanker on regular fuel on collection

Where as someone like asda will not. That's my 2 pence.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Some of you will remember the write up I did on this a few years back with Tesco std and Tesco 99 + 4 runs on the RR over the month.
    Tesco 99 gave exactly 10 bhp more on my mapped 3.2. Not noticeable when driving, about 2.5% increase.
    Its the most extra power you can get out of a 3.2 this side of a few £grand .
    I have always been an advocate of Tesco 99 and a few years ago i was shouted down by most here for saying it was as good as V.Power. :-) How times have changed now people area a little hard up
    Only time any fuel really made a difference that you would notice on the road was a tank of BP Ultimate that was like un-mapping the S3 for 300 Miles.!!!! Must have just been a bad tank full but never again !!
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Neutral

Status
    Interesting that BP have dropped their '102 Ultimate' unleaded now citing that they didn't sell very much of it. Or could it be that at £2.40 a litre its not actually that expensive now!!

My two cents is v-power or Tesco 99 in petrol cars. My 350z hated BP ultimate for some reason!! I'm a real believer in the cleaning qualities of V-Power and that premium fuels just seem to make a car 'feel' better. I'm sure its a placebo effect but considering i'm now paying upwards of £70 to fill my car up, £2.40 on top makes very little difference to me.
    Matt.

A3 SB BE 170 TDI Quattro- Phantom Black
    If women can multi-task why can't they approach a roundabout and look right at the same time?

Rarely neutral

Status
    Time for the water/meth kit Paddy!

1st Gear

Status
    Tesco 99 in my S3, or VPower if I get caught short on the motorway.

Sideways

Status
    I filled my 3.2 up with normal bp unleaded ( accidentally ) when i first got it, and it ran horribly with a noticable lack of power. Now its always tesco 99, runs a hundred times smoother. Not sure about an increase in mpg though, the missus has got a heavy right boot!

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    I use Sainsburys 98RON Super-unleaded and at 128.7p/litre cannot grumble. Ive tried a few tanks worth of BP and seems to be roughly the same performance and MPG. I dont know if its a main stream supplier of Sainsburys fuel but seems OK to me.

Brodster
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

Rarely neutral

Status

Interior Next!!

Status
    V-POWER adl.. i have three of them in close proximity.
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    SHELL ADL, V-Power Locator App on the iPhone

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

6th Gear

Status
    Always used V-Power in both S3s, apart from once or twice when I couldn't get to a Shell station I'd use Tesco99 but only enough to get to a Shell station.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

6th Gear

Status
    Have to be honest only ever used Shell V-power in mine as i have V-power membership card and get money off fuel by accumulating points via vouchers.

V-power does make a difference as throttle response is improved, acceleration and MPG if driven sensibly.

I tend to only use shell, BP fuels with past cars as i find the supermarket fuels dont feel as responsive.
    Ron
    Audi A3 8P2 2.0Tfsi S-Line Special Edition Bluefin

3dr Mauritius Blue || Full Leather|| BOSE || MFSW || Auto Lights/Wipers || Auto Dim Rearview Mirror || Heated Mirrors
    Mods: S3 Aluminium Pedals || S3 Vents || 2010 RNSE || OEM Bluetooth || Dension Gateway 100 || MY09 Rear Lights || Single Xenon Headlights

6th Gear

Status
    I use v power. Have used Bp ultimate on two occasions and both times felt the s3 was alot slower. Not again.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
    Have to be honest only ever used Shell V-power in mine as i have V-power membership card and get money off fuel by accumulating points via vouchers.

V-power does make a difference as throttle response is improved, acceleration and MPG if driven sensibly.

I tend to only use shell, BP fuels with past cars as i find the supermarket fuels dont feel as responsive.
    I got one of them cards....I bought a 1000ltrs and got a £5 voucher....Thats half a pee a ltr back..And the fuel is 6p a ltr more expensive than Tesco 99.
    Work it out It cost £3 more to fill the tank and they give you 25p back for loyalty..........lol
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    I use Sainsburys 98RON Super-unleaded and at 128.7p/litre cannot grumble. Ive tried a few tanks worth of BP and seems to be roughly the same performance and MPG. I dont know if its a main stream supplier of Sainsburys fuel but seems OK to me.

Brodster
    Sainsbury's super is 97 isn't it?

Neutral

Status
    Ok. I work very closely with this and know much of what goes into all the fuel from major retailers in the uk and can tell you the following. V power is the best fuel you can buy as its 99 ron and has enhanced additives, tesco would be the very next best imo especially if its cheaper. BP is poor old stuff due to lower octane and the experience comments are pretty near to the reality. You will get more go out of your turbo nutter petrol with a premium fuel its a fact, again I know this from test data. Forget the diesel equivalents.

No placebo my friend and you should be a fuel tester.

"My two cents is v-power or Tesco 99 in petrol cars. My 350z hated BP ultimate for some reason!! I'm a real believer in the cleaning qualities of V-Power and that premium fuels just seem to make a car 'feel' better. I'm sure its a placebo effect but considering i'm now paying upwards of £70 to fill my car up, £2.40 on top makes very little difference to me."

3rd Gear

Status
    Legin, no benefit to premium diesel then mate?

3rd Gear

Status
    I use Sainsburys super unleaded, would love to be able to use Tesco's but the closest one to me is 8miles away!!!

2nd Gear

Status
    My Leon cupra r was mapped to v power so swore by it.

I put tesco 99 or vpower in the s3 though.

Bp is only 97 so wouldn't touch it.

Clive Atthowe who does revo etc in Norwich said he has proven shell is the best in scoobies which he also tunes and usually run 15bhp more.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Legin, no benefit to premium diesel then mate?
    It is a very small benefit if at all and certainly not worth paying extra so yes I would avoid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast