Q: DIS fault - current consumption showing reversed?

AnTTo

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new here. Just got myself a 2007 A3 8P and drove with it back from Germany to my home - Estonia.

I have familiar with A3 (wife has also) and noticed, that this car has some kind of a fault with showing current fuel consumption in DIS/trip computer. It shows fuel consumption reversed - when I accelerate then the fuel consumption goes down and when I drive economically then the value goes higher (up to 85l/100km or showing -- --). It doesnt flicker or anything, correctly related to how much I accelerate or slow down. Just showing reversed.

It does affect only average fuel consumption in DIS, nothing else. The real consumption based on calculating amount of fuel and mileage, is correct (actually in the highway I got very good results - 1 tank (55litres of diesel): about 1000+km drive which makes average 5,5l/100km).

I am assuming that this fault could be caused by fuel sender being faulty? Or there are some wires switched. Maybe someone have experienced same thing or can help how to repair this kind of fault??

Waiting for good responses.

Ando

Its on MPG setting rather then L to KM, have a look in the settings under the DIS

What do you mean? It certainly is showing L/km not mpg. I believe that I would notice if not like that. It is just showing opposite what it should be - when accelerating then the consumption number should go bigger but it goes smaller and when stepping off the gas then the number goes up.

Even if it`d be on mpg setting then shouldnt it act the same?

Its on MPG setting rather then L to KM, have a look in the settings under the DIS

lol that thing happens to me. thought it was normal as i can't remember how it was when i got the car. when i drive easy it goes up but when i drive it fast it goes down. funny thing.

Last edited:
And found the solution by checking the DIS menu. Under the SET -> UNITS menu there is choice to show fuel consumption either L/100km or KM/1L. Then - if you accelerate you get less km-s/miles per 1 unit of fuel, slower and calmer drive - more km-s/miles.

Changing to L/100km makes the DIS show what I am used to see.