Parcel Shelf too light? Bouncing when hitting bumps.

Jonny-Smith

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive just bought a 3 door 58 plate A3 S line

The car is unbelievable good however does anybody else have problems with their parcel shelf bouncing when they go over potholes/speed bumps? It just seems that the parcel shelf is too light and therefore bounces.

Its not to do with speed either as i am slowing right down.

I have also had the parcel shelf out and checked that it is slotted in correctly.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jonny

mine does that too really annoying still trying to find a fix for it , I've tried putting some insulation tape around the lugs that worked sort of but I'm thinking of getting some felt tape now and putting it down the sides where the shelf sits on the plastic could work :)

mine does that too really annoying still trying to find a fix for it , I've tried putting some insulation tape around the lugs that worked sort of but I'm thinking of getting some felt tape now and putting it down the sides where the shelf sits on the plastic could work :)

That could work good idea, let me know how it goes please.

It's just really annoying there isn't any other rattle on the car apart from the clunking of the parcel shelf bouncing!

That could work good idea, let me know how it goes please.

It's just really annoying there isn't any other rattle on the car apart from the clunking of the parcel shelf bouncing!
i hoping it will work its driving me nuts but like yours no other noises from the cabin just the shelf it bugging me lol will let you know how it goes :)

how about some foam on the bootlid to squash it down... only need a couple of squares

A couple of big, heavy, chavvy 6x9's in the parcel shelf to add enough wait to stop it bouncing. Re-live your youth and all that...

A couple of big, heavy, chavvy 6x9's in the parcel shelf to add enough wait to stop it bouncing. Re-live your youth and all that...
:lmfao: , i used to keep a polish bottle in the cargo net under the shelf that worked to a degree

I'm gonna try some Blu Tac where the shelf sits to see if that cures the problem, it's a very annoying noise!

Thought about the Velcro route, but I didn't want it making that ripping noise each time i opened the boot, and also it wears out over time.

I used door draught excluder foam tape from the local DIY store......it's adhesive on one side so you can either stick it to the shelf or the place where the shelf rests, and if you get a dark colour then you really can't see it ( I mounted mine on the underside of the shelf which also hides it ) and it works perfectly.

Very cheap fix, and like you the noise was driving me mad !!!

what about those silly cables that are used to raise the parcel shelf, i mean when the boot is closed those things can fly around anywhere... wish audi used the same things that the Golfs did - a retractable string!

what about those silly cables that are used to raise the parcel shelf, i mean when the boot is closed those things can fly around anywhere... wish audi used the same things that the Golfs did - a retractable string!

lol i boody hate them

i am going to get some felt tape on the weekend to give that a try i did stick some insulation tape on the place where it sits and i did quiet it down a bit so will get some felt tape and double it up just to make sure

Took me a while to figure out the dangling rubber ball problem on the parcel shelf strings - the rattling/bouncing shelf problem is on borrowed time now too, glad it's not just me.

Looks like those anti scratch felt pads are winning!

lol i boody hate them

I have a mod for that, mine retract beautifully with no rubber conkers hanging down & make no noise :p

Cue joke about Nige and his conkers hanging down and making a noise. Its an age thing mate :) support pants will fix it. :undwech:

Cue joke about Nige and his conkers hanging down and making a noise. Its an age thing mate :) support pants will fix it. :undwech:

Intentionally left open for the friday nighters lmfao.

[QUOT=itwasntme187;1434647]Sharing is caring :wub:[/QUOTE]

Mate shared this a long time ago, I'll see if I can find the info on here for you, but I'll give you a hint, 8L parcel shelves dont use rubber conkers, given you use etka, that should give it totally away lol.

I was thinking off cutting the balls off (que the puns) and putting something soft at the bottom of the string that wouldnt pull through the shelf,the only problem is what ? or maybe some sponge round my balls so they dont make a noise when there rattling against things:whistle2:

Just put a big knot underneath and tape it to the underside of the shelf, the strings won't fall down as the boot closes but they don't need to.

I've noticed mine bangs on bumps, I always thought it was something on the suspension but on the 3rd A3 doing the same thing it must be the shelf!!