Strange noise from the cabin heater blower

brads

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got any ideas on the cause of the stange noise coming from what I think is my heater blower. It sounds like a whirling / whining sound that can be stopped by turing the heater off. It isn't constent and changes frequency. Never heard the noise until today.

Thanks

Check your cabin filter, it may be blocked putting strain on the motor.

If it is your heater blower motor, then it is probably the bearing in the motor.
It is possible to grease the bearing, but the motor has to come out of the car.

I did this my self and after 2 attempts and 2+ months the noise has not come back.

If it is your heater blower motor, then it is probably the bearing in the motor.

I did this my self and after 2 attempts and 2+ months the noise has not come back.

Thanks, does anyone have a how to guide of how to remove the motor?

How easy was it to remove the motor and do yourself?

Holy thread revival Batman! I think I have the same problem with ours, or so I hope. When the heating comes on there’s a repeating whirring noise, almost like a frog/alligator that varies with acceleration that seems to come from within the vents.

I assume the blower is under the glovebox? How do you take it apart?

I assume the blower is under the glovebox? How do you take it apart?.
With tools :thumbs up:

There’s about 7 screws to remove the glovebox complete, it’s easy peasy, one is under the dash end cap. The cap pulls off and the screw is not the obvious one you see first which is brass coloured, it’s the one deeper inside, you’ll see what I mean when you get in there. Use a 10mm hex socket for all the screws.
The heater box will be obvious when the glovebox is out

Here’s a video demonstrating the noise. You can hear it right from the start (you may have to increase the volume to max).

There’s about 7 screws to remove the glovebox complete, it’s easy peasy, one is under the dash end cap. The cap pulls off and the screw is not the obvious one you see first which is brass coloured, it’s the one deeper inside, you’ll see what I mean when you get in there. Use a 10mm hex socket for all the screws.
The heater box will be obvious when the glovebox is out

Thanks! Yup, I know how to remove the glove box (had to do it to install the puddle lights). It was for the motor itself.

I'll attach a pdf on how to remove the motor around 10pm when I finish work, if you need it

Reactions: maxpayne
easy job to remove it.

Attachments

• blower.pdf
    318.7 KB · Views: 1,018
no problem.

you should be able to do it, if you google mk5 golf blower noise, youll find posts of people doing the same thing to sort it, some with detailed photos.
dont use wd40, use a 3 in 1 or machine oil to lube it.

btw looked up new prices, not good.
talking £54ish for a sketchy brand on ebay, to £150ish for the oem valeo on mister-auto.
oil is like £2, know what id go for!

no problem.

you should be able to do it, if you google mk5 golf blower noise, youll find posts of people doing the same thing to sort it, some with detailed photos.
dont use wd40, use a 3 in 1 or machine oil to lube it.

I have some ceratec for brake calipers at home. Will that be any good?

Depends on the access you have to the bearing. All the posts I've seen mention using a fluid lubricant

Good and bad news.

Good: Managed to take the glovebox and fan out. It was pretty easy.

4783821eaa3711c13c9240c7c32150b3.jpg

The blower motor was very clean, almost new. I spun it by hand and it did so smoothly. Didn’t see any resistance or any noise when manually doing it.

Bad: despite oiling up as much as I could the noise is still there. Maybe I didn’t do it properly as on some forums people drilled a small hole to inject the oil. Maybe it’s not the blower motor and something else?

I have the exact same issue on my 06 2.0 TFSI (found your thread via Google).

Have you made any progress?

I have the exact same issue on my 06 2.0 TFSI (found your thread via Google).

Have you made any progress?

Afraid not. Haven’t had the time. The car was at Audi to troubleshoot another issue.

On my video someone else commented about having the same issue too. He promised an update as he was going to look into it too.

Wasn't the blower motor. Here's my own video of the sound mine's making from within the car.

That said, under the hood it sounds like it's coming from the general area of the alternator.

Wasn't the blower motor. Here's my own video of the sound mine's making from within the car.

That said, under the hood it sounds like it's coming from the general area of the alternator.

Mike what happens when you keep the fan running but turn on ECON mode?

In my case, the sound disappears which definitely indicates a non blower motor root cause in my book.

I guess the next step is to investigate the compressor but again in my case cooling works fine during summer with no noise so I’m not sure if it’s a bad compressor either!

I've been trying to reproduce the issue to test the ECON thing but it seems fairly random.

Heard the noise agian yesterday and like you (@maxpayne), it goes as soon as I press ECON.