Rubbish Steering on the S3?

benppl

Reaction score
I’ve got a 61 plate S3 BE DSG.

Having come from a line of BMWs I can’t help but feel disappointed with the steering and lack of feel on turn in from the s3?

Beemers are so sharp and you just know it’s going to go where you point it, with the S3 I don’t really get that feeling? It always does get there but just with no feedback to the driver!

My biggest complaint is with the speed of the rack! A full half turn is not uncommon for most bends which, tbh..just feels like hard work?

Pretty happy with the rest of the car, its certainly built better than my M3 or Z4MC. Engine is ok (bit boring) but the S-Tronic box is amazing.

Anyone else disappointed with the steering?

You could ask dealer if they can tighten it up with some adaptions, older racks had a vcds setting you would adjust, but newer they removed or hid it from us :)

Depends what you feel is boring about it, not enough power, to easy driving, no driving interaction?

Power wise, if you're unhappy, £400 or so later you'll be smiling, £2k later you'll have red knuckles :)

try lowering the car + Arbs and poissibly a Whiteline Antilift kit. Should tighen it all up a fair amount and help to give you more feedback. I agree with you though. Steering feedback is the S3's biggest let down. Especially compared to a M3 or Z3MC. Both of which i have driven.

You could ask dealer if they can tighten it up with some adaptions, older racks had a vcds setting you would adjust, but newer they removed or hid it from us :)

Depends what you feel is boring about it, not enough power, to easy driving, no driving interaction?

Power wise, if you're unhappy, £400 or so later you'll be smiling, £2k later you'll have red knuckles :)

Ill look into that,

The overall feel is very clinical from what I’ve been used too is the only way I can describe it. I never get a urge to go out for a good run in it. It’s not a car I dislike or anything for the work commute and round town driving, its great!

WALK's and uprated ARB's may help a little but wont affect rack speed or steering weight

try lowering the car + Arbs and poissibly a Whiteline Antilift kit. Should tighen it all up a fair amount and help to give you more feedback. I agree with you though. Steering feedback is the S3's biggest let down. Especially compared to a M3 or Z3MC. Both of which i have driven.

I've promised myself I wouldn't modify this ha! My MK4 R32 was the same until I did the above mods, not sure what I was expecting tbh lol

Wrong site for those promises mate :)

Steering is largely BMWs trump card, even on a 2.0 smoker its excellent so very few daily drivers will compare.
However the S3 is such a good car at so many things its a worthwhile comprimise IMO. To the point where I have gone from S3 to BMW and would still consider another S3.

It NEEDS a remap though, wakes the car up and makes it pretty quick, very close to E46 M3 quick. I found that H&R springs made a big improvement to turn in feel too.

I could never own another Stock S3 though.

Happy modding:yes:

Paul

Last edited:
Bluefin is cheap but not rated! Revo is rated but expensive :(

Last edited:
My rack is 1st gen (when will it fail???) so I was able to stiffen it up a bit. Dont know why they changed the ability to alter this unless it was to increase the relaibility of the rack.