170bhp or 140bhp 2.0 TDI?

daveturbo

Reaction score
Can anyone advise which would be a better car to go for out of the two diesels...Pros and cons for both would be really useful aswel.

Thanks, Dave.

The 170 is not great on fuel if you do so much as touch the right pedal lol, can also be a bit less smooth to drive around town and at low speed as the power makes it quite jolty (obviously this can be cured with careful pedal control) the 140 is a slightly better all rounder i have heard, brings a good balance between power and economy and there are more around and a bit cheaper.

I've had 2 170 engines (CR and PD) and also a CR140 and I'm due my 3rd CR170 soon.

Fuel wise I got about 430 to a tank in the PD170, the CR170 and the CR140 can both get 500 to a tank easy and the 170 has that extra power.

As for being jerky in town - I can't say I've noticed that.

I have a 170 CR buy only had it a few weeks. Have too say i'm loving the power and its very smooth and quiet for a diesel, although i'm finding its not great on economy. So far out of 2 full tanks i've had 455 and 475 miles with mixed driving but hoping this might improve when i've bedded it in and got more used to it.

As for being jerky in town - I can't say I've noticed that.

Same here, no problems and as said its silky smooth.

i have had two 140s a 2006 + a 2009 i love them very responsive.
the 06 can idle a bit rough -
the 09 is a dpf its very quiet and revs smoother rather than the 06 that tents to deviver power in a lump.
about town and a roads i get 47 mpg.

I've had 2 170PDs and 1 140PD. The first thing I noticed with the first 170 was just how smoother and quieter is compared to the noisier 140. From start up idle to driving it's quieter. No experience of the CR diesels but I have read they are both quieter (and so they should be if they want to compete in todays diesel market!!!).

Fuel economy in the 170 is not bad but not as good as the 140, most difference is urban where the 140 excels. HOWEVER, there is a detune map by VAG dealers for the 170PD which reduced the power to reduce DPF issues and this seems to give better MPG too and less pronounced turbo delivery - a bit more like the 140; my current 170 is like this and mpg is just the same as the 140 really with the exception of urban is still a little bit lower, but not massive. Most journeys show 50mpg as did the 140. Long term average is 44.5mpg which isn't bad considering runs to the shops etc.

My first 170 was like 3DTDi describes, it felt laggy up to 1800rpm then really took off. I had the DPF deleted on this and a remap at JBS Designs and it was REALLY quick and mpg supposed to increase (I did see 57mpg using manual brim to brim calcs on a run) and the low rev lag had gone.

Last edited:
140 here. I'm consistently on 49mpg and I'm by no means an economical driver. That's a mixture of both town / motorway driving mixed with a bit of pottering around the streets.

I've had it rise to 50mpg by driving sensibly for a few days, using Cruise Control as often as possible etc... but where's the fun in that? Especially for the sake of 1 more mpg! :racer:

The CR diesels are much quieter and smoother than the PDs. I've had 2 PDs, a 140 and a 170 and now have a 140CR which has been remapped to around 170. Because of the increasing difficulty in get the current A3s remapped and the insurance issues with a remapped car I have a new Sportback 2.0TDI-170 on order with delivery quoted as mid February.

I understand that to remap a current A3 the ECU has to be removed - it can no longer be done through the diagnostic port.

I've had 2 170PDs and 1 140PD. The first thing I noticed with the first 170 was just how smoother and quieter is compared to the noisier 140. From start up idle to driving it's quieter. No experience of the CR diesels but I have read they are both quieter (and so they should be if they want to compete in todays diesel market!!!)..

That what i have

I've had a 140 Golf and now a 170 PD, can't say I've noticed a big difference in fuel

I regularly get 500 miles plus from a full tank mixed driving, the most I've had is 550

The 140 was in the 5 hundreds as well to a tank

I have a 170 11 plate s-tronic and regularly get 500-550 miles per tank and find it very smooth and responsive.

Ive got a 140 remapped to 180 and 303 Lb/ft, average 500-520 miles a tank, best I've had was 580 and that was cruising at 80 for a whole tank through Europe.

Tha1s what im doing this week ! (The 140 to 180, not the blast thru europe)

never driven a 140, but the 170 in my TT was a peach (still is) normally round the 45-48 MPG (all urban roads to work and start stop). I remapped it through Bluefin and hugh difference in performance but still silky smooth and fuel is only slightly altered unless I have a good blast in it then down to about 35, no DPF issues yet either!

I've a 07 170 DSG and it can be really poor urban but ok motorway. In traffic today and in and out of car parks today on a 9 mile trip and the computer said 24mpg!

It's due to get all four injectors and the loom changed next week so I hope that might help.

Motorway cruising at 65-70 mph it's getting 46/47mpg

No fault code on VCDS done yesterday so don't know what else to look at in term of economy. It was serviced oblong life a month ago

PD170's are dire.

As for the read out on the screen - thats a bit iffy. My mates A3 with a CR170 regularly reports 55+mpg where my Leon CR170 is 42mpg yet both cars get bang on 500 before the fuel light comes on.....

CR = Common rail - the latest type of diesel engine used by Audi. Previous versions were PD for Pumpe Duse (pump nozzle). The CR type has been used since about 2009 in the A3 and is much smoother and quieter than the older PD versions.

The sticker in the spare wheel wheel will have one of these codes (for a CR engine)

ID codes: CAGA, CAGC, CAHA, CBAA, CBAB, CFFB, CBBB, CBDB, CBDC, CEGA, CFCA, CJAA

CBBB is the 170 bhp CR

i am sure cr is not new tec tho so i am very suprised that its only the newer ones with it:uhm:

VW launched the PD engines because they didn't want to pay the royalties for the CR technology so they created they own in house tech, they gave up in the end!

thats bad really as they charge a premium for their cars with old tech. i am sure my old 206 hdi gti was common rail and that was like 2005

I like my 07 170 PD but if I could change it I would flatten the power band so thhat there is more below 1900rpm as it can feel a bit gutless when trying to edge out in traffic or pull out quickly from a junction.
On the other hand motorway cruising is effortless

A remap would fix that, I'm convinced the VAG remap (that reduces power) also flattens the power band. Alterntively a power remap for more power would also likely fix the sub 1800rpm lag. It definitely does with the DPF-off + remap!

my 140 gets me over 500 miles to the tank easy... and i often manage a respectable 60MPG on the motorways. in town driving i can still get 45MPG. mixed town and motorways usually i get around 55MPG.
the 140 does not suffer from DPF issues like the 170 does (PD engines) and can still be remapped to get around 175BHP so it still gets the power if you need it.

Why's that? It's smoother and more powerful than the 140. The only issues could be with the DPF which affects most newer diesels.

My bad that should have said dire on fuel.

I much prefered the power delivery on my PD170 to my CR170.

Well im booked in with my 140 for a remap later today........will it put a smile on my face?????

My 170 PD is also quieter than my 140 PD, I can only presume because of the different injectors the 170 has

Im wounded. Car was booked in for remap but im now told its too new and no maps are available yet !