2008 Miltek Cat back - remap needed?

AdriansS3

Reaction score
Hi guys I have had my 2008 S3 for a month now and love it but would like to improve the sound slightly. I am undecided about a remap as I have been reading about problems people seem to be having(misfires etc) and it worries me as the car runs brilliant at the moment.

If I fit a cat back exhaust is it essential to get a remap and could the car loose any performance running on the standard ECU settings. I understand I won't gain anything but I would hate to fit the exhaust and loose power if the ECU cant deal with upgraded exhaust.

Thanks
Adrian

Last edited:
You don't say where in the world you are, by AMD essex were doing an offer. Buy a Cat-back milltek exhaust and get their own remap for half price. I don't know if that still current.

its not necessary you need a miltek all stainless steel exhaust will do the same thing but if you get a miltek your paying for the name, you dont need a remap after an exhaust because you wont lose any power, if anything you will gain more performance even better if you get a decat done, with a decat you will get people staring at your ride as the turbo spool up is so loud its amazing people are fascinated from such a minor modification, and also you get more performance as teh exhaust gasses dont get tangled within the cat and take time to come out the tail pipes, oh yh prepare for a little bit off black smoke and soot on your tailgate if you get straight tailpipes :) thats all i can say really

its not necessary you need a miltek all stainless steel exhaust will do the same thing but if you get a miltek your paying for the name, you dont need a remap after an exhaust because you wont lose any power, if anything you will gain more performance even better if you get a decat done, with a decat you will get people staring at your ride as the turbo spool up is so loud its amazing people are fascinated from such a minor modification, and also you get more performance as teh exhaust gasses dont get tangled within the cat and take time to come out the tail pipes, oh yh prepare for a little bit off black smoke and soot on your tailgate if you get straight tailpipes :) thats all i can say really
A decat is fairly pointless below Stg3,and adds in a lot of hassle around MOT time,so personally,I wouldn't recommend it,and I know from my own experience that a sports cat will work perfectly well up to that sort of power level.

Get the remap as you should not have any misfire issues with the car on stage 1 but you may have to think about buying a clutch later down the line.

If you want to do a cheap mod and improve the note of your car, detach the vacuum pipe to the butterfly flap on the left exhaust pipe, cable tie it open and your car will sound "throatier" but not by much to be honest.

Thanks for the reply guys. Boydie I had always planned on doing a stage 1 remap right up untill getting the car but then read a few stories about some people having problems even with Stage 1 although they may have already had problems which became more noticeable after remap.
With the stage 1 do I need to upgrade the Fuel pump or anything else or is the clutch the main thing! My car has only done 20 000 miles and I only do about 5000 a year and I am not someone who races away from the lights loading the clutch so do you think the standard clutch may last a year or so or is it too hard to say!

At Stg1 you don't need the HPFP but you should budget for a clutch,which you would definitely need at Stg2 or above.

The HPFP is required for Stg2+.

Along the way you would also need a decent intake such as the ITG or Forge but it's not a necessity for Stg1.

Yeah no need for a fuel pump with stage 1.

With your low mileage it is really up to you if you want a clutch - I wouldn't replace it straight away, I would run it to failure or until it is slipping quite badly before changing it.

Some people last a long time on stage 1 without clutch issues, some go with factory power.

Mine slipped 3 months after revo remap during the winter. Went away spring/summer then I changed it a year later.