Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

A3 rear suspension knocking - Audi recall?

For the last couple of months on the odd occaison I've been hearing what sounds like something large and heavy fall over in the boot. I thought nothing of it until last week when I was driving around with the rear seats folded down, and heard it again. It's this rear suspension problem, innit?

I remember it being mentioned by Richy on here late last year, but at that time Audi were still investigating whether a recall was necessary. However, dealerships had at that time been informed that they should change the suspension under warranty if a customer complained.

Now, it rarely happens with me and I haven't been able to work out what causes the knocking - it only appears to happen are low speeds and at only subtle changes in direction. So, unless there is a safety issue is there any point in me having the suspension swopped?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: A3 rear suspension knocking - Audi recall?

if you're under warranty still, then there's no harm in getting them changed.

taking mine to audi tomorrow. i have the same symptoms that you have described, and as soon as i described it the engineer quite honestly told me about the problem being known. I also have some soft clicking noises apparently coming from the door seals, and a metallic rattle from the engine heatshield.

once sorted, off to RSD for diesel power! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Doesn't sound like the same problem, as the noisy rear suspension mentioned here a few times is more like "a rubber ball bouncing around in a plastic bottle" kind of noise, not like something falling over.

1st Gear

Status

Blimey

I have had the same thing, but thought it was just something in the boot, like the warning torch/light I have!

I'll be calling my local dealer tomorrow!

Cheers for the tip!

Funkycat

imported_tobycruse

When i come off a round about quickly, so teh car is drifting a bit, i get a very wierd noise coming from the suspension. It doesnt last long, bout 5 or 10 mins then goes away, but it sounds like something is banging against the spring. But as i said it only happenes when the car is chucked around a bit!!!

Neutral

Status

I have a sound from the rear suspension like a spring loudly creaking every time I apply the brakes to come to a stop. I don't get it when I gently brake to slow down it seems to happen when I'm braking a bit harder to come to a stop. Its like it creaks when the car tips forward under the deceleration just before the stop.

I had assumed this was the famous rear suspension issue necessitating the rear shocks replacement under warranty but everyone seems to describe a different noise and now I'm wondering whether its my rear shocks/springs at all and maybe its the brakes??

I'd love to find out what this is and how it should be rectified before I bring the car back to the dealers. I just have this fear of being told, "we found the problem sir and fixed it", only for me to have to bring it back a few days later, " we definately found the source of the noise this time Sir and have fixed it".....only for me to have to bring the car back etc etc

It would be great if I could say to the dealer straight off, "I have the rear shock absorber problem covered under audi service bulletin xyz which requires replacement of part no. x with replacement part no. y under warranty."

You know, try and take Audi Service department ineptitude out of the equation from the before it has a chance to show itself!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]:D

Neutral

Status

Replacement suspension for me was replaced when it was making the chewing gum in the bottle sound...

the other knocking I had was... well, you know those little plastic balls at the end of the string that raises the parcel shelf when opening the boot? It was them!

Neutral

Status

My noise definately isn't the parcel shelf balls because

A. its not that kind of noise
    and
    B. My dogs ate those rubber balls already! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Mmmmmmmmmm........

Just been out to check mine! Accessed the boot through front door by folding the rear seat forwards (so as not to open boot door if you get what I mean!), can see the shelf balls hanging down, knocking them against the side of the boot would seem to create the same knocking noise I have heard when cornering, so I begin to doubt if there is an issue with the suspension on my car.

Most of the time I have stereo on, or the "doris" on the Sat Nav chatting to me about central Birmingham/London, so would not always hear the knocking noise.

I will put a quick call into my dealer this morning to establish status from their side though.

Funkycat.

Neutral

Status

my car went in to East Kent Audi yesterday.

The rear shocks need to be replaced (the known knocking problem) and my door seals have been making some noise as well. They were quick to find the problems, but I now have to wait 3 weeks to get them fitted!

They weren't so eager to fix the overreading speedo or the slightly misaligned steering wheel though.

6th Gear

Status

I don't think I have the shock problem,but the rear springs don't half creak like hell.
    They creak when you get in/out and they creak when you park on a slope (making the springs extend when you apply the handbrake).
    I seem to remember my A4 doing this when new as well though.

Neutral

Status

Mine creaks like that, I thought it was the brakes moving slightly with only a light handbrake on and vibrating the thin metal dust cover.

I think I tried it without the hand brake on and it didn't do it, but I might just have planned to.