DSG - First thrash

No bowfer your wrong. I had a manual TDI for a day and hated it for one reason alone - the amount of times I had to push the clutch down to change gear because of the short rev range, having always had petrol engines up to then. I then had a TDI with a DSG for a day and it was marvellous. Some months earlier I had a drive in an TDI A4 with the multi-tronic gearbox and liked the way that would look after the 1st and 2nd changes that come up quickly with a diesel when you pull away quickly say from a junction. The DSG behaved in the same way and it was just what I liked.

During my normal driving I use tip-tronic all the time unless I'm creeping in a traffic jam when I switch to D. In tip-tronic I nearly always let the DSG handle the changes from 1-2 and 2-3 when it reaches max revs in the lower gear. After that I normally do all the up and down changes myself using the lever or paddles except of course the change to 1st whenever I stop.

So I was well aware of exactly how the DSG would behave and it was that behaviour that convinced me to change to a diesel from my 4 previous manual A3 1.8T Sports.

I can see you point about the DSG not holding the max revs, but I personally would hate it if it did, unless of course it was driver selectable. That, of course, would give us both what we want. Perhaps one day...

I'm still waiting for my 2.0 TFSI but here in Australia it only comes with DSG, manual wasn't an option.

I'm now slightly worried by this flaw with the DSG as my driving style around the tight windy roads is based on approaching a corner with high revs to assist with breaking and control so you're ready to punch it on the exit. It must completely unbalance the car if it changes up when you least want it to.

I for one hope that someone works out how to re-programme the DSG.

Yeah mchantry,my driving style over the twisty scottish roads is the same.

This 'foible' is really really getting on my nerves now,as I found another example of when it becomes a pain this morning.
Going round a greasy roundabout and powering round it I got the inevitable,and expected,understeer.
Of course,the revs rose (I always have the traction control switched off as I find it excessively obtrusive),but normally I'd happily let the revs rise until the power naturally 'runs out',thereby holding the wheelspin at a level I'm happy with.

Get my drift (sic) ?

No,no though.
The ****** DSG goes and changes up for me when I really don't ****** want it to !!!!

It's one of those things I doubt anyone would really take notice of until you own one for a while.

It should be an easy thing to fix for those with the software expertise.

Let's hope Eeef's mate is the man !

[ QUOTE ]
Let's hope Eeef's mate is the man !

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately not yet.

He hasn't looked at the software breakdown for DSG just yet but has no doubt it will be possible to change Torque limiter, shift points and maybe safety parameters if required. Tiptronic gearboxes can be altered to suit just about any driving style or power output within reason so he suspects that all the same attributes will be in the DSG software.

There's hope there though Eeef !
Cheers for your efforts,and please remember to tell the forum if (when?) it does become available.
I'd be willing to drive a fair distance to get this sorted.

mtm and AmD i believe offer a software upgrade for the RS6 slushbox, so it must be similar.

This so called problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif with the DSG?

Is it because it is in a turbo diesel or would the software be the same if it was in the v6 3.2 petrol

Same for all Audi DSG cars I believe.
The DSG R32 Golf doesn't do it though,according to others.

[ QUOTE ]
Did the Fiesta Look Like this one ?

fast_fiesta1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hidious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
This so called problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif with the DSG?

Is it because it is in a turbo diesel or would the software be the same if it was in the v6 3.2 petrol

[/ QUOTE ]

It on all A3 DSG's, i don't know for sure about the TT. It does not do it on R32's as already mentioned and really does depend on driving style whether it bugs you or not.

The TT changes up in manual mode if you hit the rev limit!

Personally I can't understand anyone wanting to run thier car on the rev limit but each to thier own I suppose...

As I have only just got the car haven't done a track day in it but even then I don;t generally go driving around on the limiter, whats the point, stesses the car and means your not going as fast as possible.

J.

I disagree marriedblonde.
I checked where my car changes up last night and it's at around 4500rpm on the,probably inaccurate,rev counter.
Just short of the redline.

The car is still pulling strongly which suggests I'm being denied the opportunity of going as fast as possible,and makes the 'forced change' all the more infuriating.

If the car had run out of steam by the time the 'forced change' comes,then I wouldn't be complaining.

I'd like to drive a manual version to compare.

Very odd as mine seems to have lost all steam by around 4K but that could be because this is my first diesel and my last car was considerably faster...

But each to thier own like I said, personally I'm quite happy not to be bouncing off the limiter

J.

Test drove the diesel - have to agree with marriedblonde - going past 4k was pretty pointless anyway. Short shift and keep it in the torque band, surely thats the way to go.

On my 2.0T DSG, I have sometimes forgot to up shift in manual (usually after just being in auto) and it has NEVER changed up for me, flat out after at least 1 second on the rev limiter at 7k before I changed up myself. Maybe if I left it there for longer it would, but I couldn't bear to do that.

Also, in D or S, flat out, it doesn't change up until well into the red line when its well out of breath - about on the limiter 6800-7000, which is very poor. You can feel the car slow up before each change. This only happens on 100% throttle, on less it changes up earlier. But this defeats the object really.

I usually manually change up at about 5500-6000 tops, as the peak power is 5900 i think.

Any other 2.0T DSGers??

"NEVER changed up for me, flat out after at least 1 second on the rev limiter at 7k before I changed up myself"

Now that's interesting,and weird at the same time.
Still,shows again that it's model-specific and not generic.

Although this problem dosen't bother me and I do agree that a manual should be just that, I stiil find that changing up at around 4200 revs is about right anyway.

The max. torque is from 1800 - 3500 rpm. So I would think that using the top end of this is more worthwhile. Might seem slower but bet it isn't.

Again, it's a diesel and needs to be driven to it's strengths which is torque not revs / power.

Just my opinion.

I don't think we're necessarily talking about being able to bounce the rev limiter all the time, but there is absolutley nothing worse to unbalance a car when you're close to flat out in a corner for it to change up a gear when you're not expecting it.

The same goes for when you are blasting down a short straight approaching a corner and you might hit the redline just before reaching the corner but want to hold that gear to allow the engine to brake for you when you lift off the throttle. If the DSG automatically changes up for you at the last minute that can seriously alter the balance and level of control you have over the car.

All we're saying is manual mode should be just that "manual - meaning the driver chooses and not the computer".

My RenaultSport Clio 172 used to love being driven like that and being able to balance it one one rear wheel going into a corner could only be achieved when you have complete control over the car & engine.