Poor fuel from MK5 GT TDI (BKD)

AjayB

MK5 Golf GT
Reaction score
Back on here after a while as i have got rid of the A3 i originally had!
My Golf GT TDI is really poop on fuel :( (or is it just me) but on half a tank of fuel (£30) i dont even seen 200 miles and this is me trying to be really careful. Somtimes when the engine is cold and im driving the trip says around 49mpg local driving, but on most occasions it struggles to get over 35mpg around town. 2 weeks ago driving to Birmingham from Bradford around 120 miles there and 120 back used half a tank, and the other half only got me a further 150miles around town(cost me 77£ to fill her up)! Its a 2004 BKD engine code 140 remapped to around 180 by Awesome GTI.

Last night i filled up £25 because the fuel light came on, i've done around 35 miles around town today and it seems to have used alsmot half what i had in from the £25! :( The MPG seems to be higher when the engine is cold, i can reach up to 40-50MPG sometimes, once its warmed up it drops to around 30MPG, today it struggled to get above 28MPG! I'm so confused!

The car has recently had a full service and engine flush by Awesome GTI and has a K&N air filter fitted! Also EGR has been cleaned!

Is it just mine? or do all the rest get the same sort of figures?

Really considering going back to an A3 now!

Last edited:
I go from Woking to Birmingham and back which is about a 250 mile trip on around £30.

If your doing even 200 miles on £30 that's still 44mpg! which is pretty decent to be honest and locally these diesel's aren't really that good unless your driving like a total granny.

I get 150 miles on 15 litres which is about £21. 45MPG.

200 miles from £30 doesn't sound too bad tbh, perhaps a touch lower than I'd get.

Reactions: AjayB
i normally get best results from my car by filling it to the max and then watching how much mileage it does from that. i just dont feel like the MPG shows a correct figure when it starts from half a tank, maybe thats just me.

surely £30 can't be half a tank when it takes about £70-£75 for a full tank?

Well when i filled the car up with 30£ it went to half a tank on the clocks! And yes your right a full take on the Golf takes £77 so i might have to give it another go. What kind of MPG is your trip showing Ash?

No fault codes on the car what so ever, checked it with the Vagcom a few weeks ago and all the injectors seem to be working within the correct parameters. The Engine temp is always at 90 yes, but the trip tends to show a better MPG when the engine is cold? What could be causing this? Although yesterday the Coolant warning did appear on the dash out of the blue!

Car was serviced around 2000 miles ago. Maybe its just me expecting the car to be superb on fuel lol

Well when i filled the car up with 30£ it went to half a tank on the clocks! And yes your right a full take on the Golf takes £77 so i might have to give it another go. What kind of MPG is your trip showing Ash?

No fault codes on the car what so ever, checked it with the Vagcom a few weeks ago and all the injectors seem to be working within the correct parameters. The Engine temp is always at 90 yes, but the trip tends to show a better MPG when the engine is cold? What could be causing this? Although yesterday the Coolant warning did appear on the dash out of the blue!

Car was serviced around 2000 miles ago. Maybe its just me expecting the car to be superb on fuel lol

Thats why buying a diesel makes sense only when you do motorway miles but town driving.

Don't believe the DIS either. I've never had a VAG car yet that is accurate. My (1) readout typically climbs to 52-55MPG each day on my way to work & the overall (2) is up to 55MPG, yet I know I get about 45mpg real life on my typical weekly commute.

it depends on how you drive and where you drive. as i do mostly motorways i usually get about 60MPG. but there are days that i drive around in London and i can only get between 40-45mpg, and thats due to the stopping and starting (traffic lights, speed limits and general traffic) and booting it at traffic lights.

last time i was experiencing issues with mpg i did a full service and it all came back to life

Is it me or have I read a few cars with issues which seem to have awesome maps on aswell, did you check the mpg before the map, is it smokey, is there allot of black sooty bits on the rear bumper, valance etc, have you changed your MAF.

When i put my foot down sometimes i do see quite a bit of black smoke yes, but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary for a remapped car? but then again this is the 1st car i've had remapped. I think the car seems a bit more thirsty now since the remap has been on the car, i messaged Awesome on FB a few days ago about the issue but they seem to be avoiding the message as they have replied to other messages and not mine. Might ask them to remove the Remap if it continues to carry on like this and go Revo.. How do i check the MAF, quite new to all this stuff so i'm learning as i go along.

I know this has nothing to do with the post but i'm also getting a whine from what sounds like the rear of the car, can hear it at around 1500-1900RPM and then goes away, also hear it when the car is stood still for a while but once revved slightly the noise dissapears for a while.. Awesome diagnosed this as a faulty fuel pump so got this changed at the same time as remap but the problem still persists. Ive had a refund on that from awesome though which isnt too bad. Also getting a clicking noise from the dash on the passenger side, just clicks away even hen the car only has the ignition switched on. Sometimes the noise doesnt appear... any ideas?

i messaged Awesome on FB a few days ago about the issue

Why would you use facebook for something like this, just pickup the phone, talk to a real person if you want something resolved.

Why would you use facebook for something like this, just pickup the phone, talk to a real person if you want something resolved.

Just haven't had time to ring them as i've been busy with my Uni Assignments which tend to lead onto a quick log on to Facebook for a nosey around.. Will get on their backs on monday though!

Any ideas on the other problems im suffering?

Ive also read that the K&N Air Filters can cause problems too sometimes..Anyone heard of this? might change it to a BMC Panel Filter to see if anything alters.

Last edited: