(Another!) Single-din to Double-din Query... [S3 MRU!]

Treat

Reaction score
Firstly, hello all! Been a member on the forums for a month or so, never posted anything just been having a nosey. Haha

I own a 2005 A3 2.0TDI 140.

I'm sorry to post yet another single-din to double-din question, but I can't find an answer when searching. (S3 MRU, I noticed you were on many of the threads about this mate, hoping you may be able to help!) I have read the guide here: DIY:Single to Double Din Conversion for Audi A3 and am very eager to get started!

Basically, I'm wanting to change from single-din concert to the double-din concert. Mine is naff, the CD player has been a nightmare since I've had the car, always refuses to play CDs, skips tracks.. and yes I've tried loads of CD player cleaners, scratch resistant CDs.. the lot! Fact is, it's a write off!! I know, I know.. I should have waited and saved up for the RNS-e, but I just can't justify the price.. and besides, I have a TomTom! :o.k: haha

I managed to source a Concert 3 / Concert 2+. The question I have is regarding the connector (Pic: ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting) I believe this is a 'Quadlock'? I'm assuming different to the single-din! What will I need to connect this? If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated! There are that many cables on eBay, most seem to be for aftermarket units though?

I haven't actually taken the single-din out as yet, the radio keys haven't arrived!

As said, any advice is appreciated! :thumbsup:

Adam

Not sure I can answer your question but have you got all the other double din parts that are required ?

The quadlock is on the back of an RNSE unit but the other end should have sockets for the existing plugs ( I think !!! )

I should wait and see what's on the back of your current set up before you proceed.

You'll need ISO to Quadlock adapter, £30 on ebay, plus you will find radio signals will be degraded as the newer units use a different antenna system, hence why the rns-e uprade is your best option as it uses same antenna system on cars from 03-mid 06 as antenna swaps are about £300 supply/fit.

Hi NHN, thanks for that mate

To be honest, I'm really not fussed about the radio, I only ever listen to the breakfast shows and that is rare!!

If I have a CD player that actually works and will let me skip tracks, I will be happy! Might even look at getting the iPod interface at some point for Podcasts etc.

Hi All

Sorry to dig up this old thread, thought it might be better reviving this one then make a new one..

Managed to follow RU55SSO guide to completing the retrofit for the cage to double din from single.. All completed no problems

The problems start when connecting ISO to quadlock adaptor to the double din concert no power??

Read on google that it may need some power running from fusebox..

Any dummy guides out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

check the pin-out, on radio should be description of connectors, on brown or black iso connector (2 bigger ones) there is red cable and brown, red is positive, brown is ground. If you can post photos of connectors

Hi Marek

Thanks for the reply

See picture

I also have one larger black and red one

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 83
yeah, on this picture, connector on right has only 2 cables, brown is negative and red with white strip is positive, can you remind me radio you putting in? I will try find the pinout for you.

The stereo for timebeing will be a double din concert until rns e is feasible :yes:
Thanks for your help