RNS-E battery drain

Thecook101

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2007 A3 3.2 Quattro with factory fitted RNS-E satnav/telephone/radio. Car has been great with no problems. On Sunday morning I came out to a dead battery. No lights etc had been left on and the car had been driven on Saturday night. Was curious to see what had drained the battery so called AA to check it out. Traced a 3 amp drain to the satnav and removed the fuse (19) from the engine bay fuse box as a temporary fix. Had the car in at Audi today and they came back with "2.8 amp drain and sat nav and telephone unit needs replacing. Cost £2000! "

Now fair enough - if it is broken then it needs replacing, but with the fuse in the entire RNS-E system works flawlessly so I can't see that the problem is with the unit. The problem seems to be one of it not switching off rather than not working. I understand this could be a CAN bus issue but it is an original fit and has worked fine until now. Does anyone have any ideas as to possible fixes? I have thought of moving it to switched power but not sure if this will have any other affects..?

£2000 seems a lot to pay to turn something off ;)

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site.

It uses canbus signals to turn on/of with ignition so switched supply wont do much except annoy you having to manually turn on/off when car is used, ideally you need someone with more knowledge to play with it for you.

If its out of warranty mate, give me a shout I can get the unit/units swapped out for less than 2k.

Thanks for the responses. Seems it is the Bluetooth module that is faulty. Have disconnected it until I have time to replace it.. Cheers.