Which tyres do i need?

Dannyhall

Reaction score
I'm looking at 225/35/18 87Y .. Is that right? And what is the 87Y standing for?

No, standard size on the A3 is 225/40/18.

87 is a load index
Y is a speed rating

Right cheerse, Out of interest, what alloys would you recommend? S3 alloys or RS6 (sLine) alloys, S3 ones being them same price but the RS6 coming with tyres

as C_W said,225/40/18 are the tyres you need (225 being the width of the tread,40 being the percentage of the size of the tread (225) and the 18 is obvious),and i would have said a 94 or above load rating really

Sline if your car is a sport or se, S3 if its a Sline, RS6 if its an S3
simples just dont get any bad boiiiii wheels like motor world ones

Reactions: FranA3
Haha i'm in a sport so i'm guessing the S3' .. I'l be getting some BBS sometime next year anyways

and i would have said a 94 or above load rating really

That will give a really hard sidewall and be more uncomfortable for no need. A6 and 5 series only need 93 and they can carry alot more weight when loaded up. 92 is perfectly acceptable on an A3 in those sizes.

That will give a really hard sidewall and be more uncomfortable for no need. A6 and 5 series only need 93 and they can carry alot more weight when loaded up. 92 is perfectly acceptable on an A3 in those sizes.

im on 94's all round and find the ride fine,run 38 psi front and 36 rear,i know the 3.2 is a touch heavy on the front though so maybe the 3.2 is happier with a 94 rating