Petrol Smell? Pls Help

belfastone

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hope maybe someone can help..
I recently purchased a 2002 1.6 a3 - Nice little car but needed a few things sorted, understandably as there was 135K on the clock.

But after replacing these issues there is still a smell of petrol from within the car, seems to come & go, and usually via the air vents?? - Surely this isnt a good thing! I also get the ABS light come on at times.. and usually its linked! - light = smell of petrol. powering off the car and back on again usually clears the ABS light.

For example, im sitting at lights idle.. the rev counter drops below 1 then the light pops on.. usually afterwards there is a petrol smell.

I mentioned this to the mechanic & he said, they wont be related as the ABS is nothing to do with the engine, he also said ****** all about the petrol smell. Im guessing because he doesnt know why - Hes only replacing the parts the ECU is telling him too.

The car is driving 100%... no lack of speed at all.
Ive had it in the garrage, getting bits and pieces done to it, over £700 so far
Full Service, filters, pads etc
New ECT Sensor
Lamba sensors x 2
Air mass pump
Each of these were replaced as the engine management lights were on, and the ECU said so..

Anbody any pointers??.. anybody experience something similar?
Thanks for reading..

Marty.

Haven't heard of an issue like that before. If its linked to the ABS light as you've said, my first port of call would be to get the car scanned to see what fault codes its throwing up.

Where a bouts are you located? You username suggests belfast?

just a suggestion but does this only happen when cold? and is it ok when warmed up?
is it petrol or burnt petrol fumes you are smelling?
is exhaust ok? is brake servo and vacuum pipes to it ok?
more info please

Last edited:
Yeah im from Belfast.. The fault codes were only relating to the work which was recently completed.

No its when warm or cold Santa..lol
Its def petrol fumes not from the exhaust, ive no idea what a vacum pump is but I will get a check on this at the weekend.
Thanks!

Let us know how u get on. I have vagcom and based in bangor so if you need it scanned at any point let me know:arco: