DSG - `paddle' versus `tiptronic' gearchange.

MajorSparky

Reaction score

I've recently taken delivery of an A3 2.0TFSI DSG and am over the moon with it. But with less than 1,000 miles on the clock, I'm still learning how to get the best out of it. So, could someone confirm whether or not it's my imagination, or is the manual gearchange in (what I call the) `tiptronic' mode smoother than the gearchange using the paddles? The DSG in fully automatic mode tends to shift to a low gear at quite low speeds, so the revs are typically between 1,500 and 2,000 around town. Under these conditions, rather than putting my foot down to get the revs up for decent acceleration, I use the manual mode, but have found that using the paddles tend to give a less smooth, more jerky, faltering gearchange than when using the gearlever. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?

[ QUOTE ]

I've recently taken delivery of an A3 2.0TFSI DSG and am over the moon with it. But with less than 1,000 miles on the clock, I'm still learning how to get the best out of it. So, could someone confirm whether or not it's my imagination, or is the manual gearchange in (what I call the) `tiptronic' mode smoother than the gearchange using the paddles? The DSG in fully automatic mode tends to shift to a low gear at quite low speeds, so the revs are typically between 1,500 and 2,000 around town. Under these conditions, rather than putting my foot down to get the revs up for decent acceleration, I use the manual mode, but have found that using the paddles tend to give a less smooth, more jerky, faltering gearchange than when using the gearlever. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, i've noticed this too, but I think it's down to the switch behind the paddle. Hard to explain but mine seems to be better now that I have tightened the paddle hinge screws up a bit. This gives a smoother feel, and less 'clicky' feel to the action and strangely enough seems to have smoothed the changes.

Could have been coincidence, and was maybe me getting better with the paddles ?