Worst fears confirmed yet another BKD cylinder head has died!

staitesidestory

Reaction score
I posted up a couple of weeks ago about having to keep filling up the coolant. My worst fears were confirmed today as Audi have had the car for 2 days and have decided that it is the cylinder head that is the problem :-( No good will is going to be offered as the car is a 2004. £1800 is still not really acceptable as in the last 2 months I have had to have a turbo and now a cylinder head all on a car that only has 60000 miles on the clock. So much for good old Audi reliability think I will definatly have to think twice about what car I have after this one as I have completly lost all faith in Audi's reliability and customer service.

how many owners do you have to that mileage?
it sounds weird.
plus how long (MILAGE WISE) have you had THE CAR FOR??

Im the second owner and the first owner was a friend of the family. I have had it for nearly 2 years and covered 20000 miles myself. It has a full main dealer service history as well.

£1800 ! If that is what they are quoting you to replace a BKD head you are a mug to pay it. £1200 max with a good independent using all Audi branded stuff and paying full RRP on everything with labour.

do they know what is wrong with the cylinder head??
i know diesel cylinder heads are made of steel and not
aluminium like the petrol counterparts.
the cylinder heads on these cars are solid.
i think the only weakest link would be the HEAD GASKET.
Get the cylinder head pressure tested for leaks and then
go for an uprated HEADSET which should contain a
HEADGASKET oil stems and valve seals.
i know the price of things have shot up but i dont think the cost should exceed
£750 in the worst case scenario.
pressure testing should be around £100 skimming should be around £70 if it warped
(but i doubt it).
total labour should be around £400-450.
An uprated headset should be around £250 or maybe a bit more.
please dont let audi do it cause they are only going to use standard parts.

The cylinder hear cracking is a known fault on the early 2.0 bkd engines. yeah I ain't going to pay the £1800 I have found somewhere to do it for just over £1200 now so going to take the car back off audi and get it done by a local trusted independent. is a joke that Audi won't pay out anything towards it, considering the amount of info all over the internet about the problems right through the range of vw's and Audi's.

do they know what is wrong with the cylinder head??
i know diesel cylinder heads are made of steel and not
aluminium like the petrol counterparts.
The head is made from Aluminium, that's why it can't be welded and fixed, it's just got to be replaced with a later revised version.

As AidenUK says the head of most modern diesel cars are aluminium not steel. Early BKD heads of version A from 2004-2005.5 are the ones most prone to cracking and tend to crack between the valves in the head with the ones i have personally seen.
002-4.jpg

thats scary.
its the more reason i stayed away from diesels and bought a TFSI petrol.
the diesels i saw were way over-priced and imagine if you top-wak dollars
for a bkd and this happens.

any idea whay mine might be leaking oil from the rear passenger side of head ?

we think its the head is this possible ?

no oil in water

sure not rocker cover weaping and running to lowest point

pipework leaking etc? or does it seem to come from the head gasket joint.
core plug weaping

had all turbo pipes replaced so not them.

might be from tandam pump will replace that gasket soon.

core plug ?

£1800 ! If that is what they are quoting you to replace a BKD head you are a mug to pay it. £1200 max with a good independent using all Audi branded stuff and paying full RRP on everything with labour.

Hi devon Mikeyboy,

I think I'm in the same boat for the cylinder head, car's at a recommended independent from a good friend of mine(I'm in Germany) that used to work at VW/Audi. Without any tests last night, he said could be EGR cooler or head. BUT, he said price for replacing cylinder head would probably be €3,000 or 2500 pounds.

I know your post is about 2 and a half years old, but do you think I'm getting bent over at this price?

At todays exchange rate, 1200 pounds is about €1500 = almost half of the price I was quoted.

Thanks for your help.