Anyone else use car washes ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
I ask as I'm often looked at with horror by the older members of staff,who obviously still believe car washes 'wreck your car'.
They'll happliy drive around with filthy cars until they get fine enough weather to handwash.
I do handwash when I can but I'm not averse to using a carwash.
In fact I just used one just now as my car was so peppered with white seagull crap it looked like an Iraqi runway.

[ QUOTE ]
I ask as I'm often looked at with horror by the older members of staff,who obviously still believe car washes 'wreck your car'.
They'll happliy drive around with filthy cars until they get fine enough weather to handwash.
I do handwash when I can but I'm not averse to using a carwash.
In fact I just used one just now as my car was so peppered with white seagull crap it looked like an Iraqi runway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooooooooooo....definately not.

If you get splatted with bird cr*p or the weather is, well aberdeenshire like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif then use the jet wash, with the lance only, no brush.

Asda are the best at 50p per minute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I don't like jetwashes Japper.
You often see the 'jetwash effect'on cars driving by.
The car looks like it's three different shades.

Mind you,if it's Audi bumpers then they are a different shade.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I use an IMO one near me weekly and my previous cars have never looked the worst for it. I hand wash and wax every couple of months and just stick it through the autowash weekly to keep the worst off.

You try handwashing in winter in the North East of Scotland !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I have handwashed my car once in the week that I've owned it.
Two things I noticed.
It takes far less time to wash than my A4 did and Akoya needs far less drying/waxing than black to look good.
Both of those positives will mean it'll probably get more hand delivered TLC (oooh-err) than my A4 did.

In fact,my A4 goes away today.
Wave bye-bye everyone !
Wave bye-byyyyyyye !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Jet wash, especially this time of year with all the salt and crud on the roads....

I would never put my car through a carwash, however when I was in Leeds and had no facilitys to wash my car and it was disgusting. So for fear of my car being written on I braved up to a handwash car wash. Everything was going smoothly untill the brought out the plastic thingy that "scrapes" all the water off...I was trying to stop myself screaming when I could hear the little bits of grit scraping across my roof and bonnet. I got out the car after the car wash to see tiny little scrapes across my car....I'll never use any type of carwash again..

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm not averse to using a carwash.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a bad man!!
smack.gif

I'm sure car washes are fine, personally I'd never use one. If your anal about keeping your car clean and shiny then you'll never use one as they do leave swirls in the paint. depending on the colour of your car will depend how bad they show up.

In the winter when it's freezing cold I still hand wash my car once a week (along with claires) pair of rubber gloves keep your hands dry and I'm no southern poofter so don't mind a bit of cold. During the winter I even wash my car when it's raining - yes the neighbours think I'm mad.

The jet wash car washes are ok I suppose but the detergant they use to remove all the road grime also removes the polish on your car, still I never use them either.

J.

I used to use car washes until i took a previous car through an Esso wash near Barnsley one day - it was a black car, and the car wash was faulty (i found out later) - there wasn't any water being put through the brushes...
... so after the "damp" plastic brushes had spent 4 or 5mins going backward and forward over the car, with me inside starting to get suspicious about the excess scratching noises, and lack of suds i drove out to find the car looked like it had been washed with a cat ! there were scraches everywhere.

The attendant wasn't at all concerned, but i took further details, and rang the owner of the site, he then instructed attendant to close the wash (i had already told 3 queuing cars to not use it). After a quote from the garage for about £1000 of work to get the paintwork back to condition the petrol station owner wasn't impressed and asked if he could have chance to repair the paint with a mobile valeter - we sorted out with a letter, so i could still have the option of claiming on his insurance if the valet didn't work, but i'm pleased to say that after about 5 hours work with a polishing mop, and lots of waxes / creams the valet brought the paintwork back to better than it was before i went to the car wash.

So i do cringe everytime i see a car in a garage car wash - it doesn't take much to block a water supply hose, and then you'll have the same problem i had - but as stated above the brushes may be softer than the plastics i got scrathched with about 8 years ago.

I use jet washed if weathers bad but never the drive through,

With the jet washes always try to use it at an angle so the car is not bearing the full force of the pressure.

I sometimes use the Aral Superwash in Luxembourg. I never noticed anything wrong with the paint work afterwards (touch wood). It can't be that bad, if I've seen guys in SL500s and Porsche Cayennes lining up to use it.

Oh no matron, car washes are the work of Satan, particularly if you have a dark car.

I'm with Bravepilot and Marriedblonde. I put on a rubber glove and on that put the Megs lambswool mit and I'm off. Use a clean sponge below the rubbing strips though, you don't want the mit contaminated with a load of fine grit, though I do always thoroughly rinse it out before re-use.

I read somewhere that some car washes recyle the water! Unless they sieve it, may as well sandblast the car!

Remember what the Audi manual says - if you are using a car wash, turn the auto wipers off or things could get bent!

Nothing beats a good handjob imho,well, in this context anyway!

I'm sure carwashes are not going to be as caring as handwashes, but if you are not too fussed (ie its a company car) I would still recommend you check out the car washes available to you before using them.

Some carwashes still use nylon brushes which basically whip the crap out of the car, and these will always lead to the swirly effect mentioned above. Look for a system using brushes made from long strips of fabric rather than the old fashioned plastic stuff - its much kinder to the paintwork.

Anyone remember the time on Jackass when either Stevo or Johnny Knoxville were strapped to a car bonnet going through a car wash, wearing nothing but their skids!

I wouldn't do that to my skin, so wouldn't do it to my car!

Tesco pay as you go jetwash for me. Absolutely brilliant when I have two filthy mountain bikes on the roof after playing at Glentress. The low pressure option gets all the mud off with nice warm water easily, leaving me to jet the top and back of the car clean. The only problem in this is the Thule rack feet on the back window let dirt and the rest of Scotlands finest mud in around the seal.

Other than that its the ARC drag through which washes and waxes.

I'll give you a laugh.
When I first started here,all those years ago,I used to offer to jetwash the MD's black cars ( Peugeot 505 Gti,original Golf Gti,Merc 190 sport thing) just so I could drive them.
Jetwash them,my ****...
I used to take them out the country roads for 20 minutes then put them through the cheapest automated carwash...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

Ill just finish this thread off by saying the last time I went through a car wash in Janurary 2005 £800.00 worth of damage occured.

My 18" alloys have been scuffed, scratched and chipped in places, whilst the front bumper has been damaged.

Let me explain....

BP have introduced a new style car wash where your car gets tracked along rails within the car wash rather than the car wash move over your car.

You have to drive onto a track on the right hand side of the car wash. This in turn grips, traps the wheels and moves the car along the rails through the car wash buffers, sprays and shamies.

The old car wash you would sit stationary whilst the mecahnical buffers would judder and carress your car safely.

Anyway to cut a long story short the rails/grips tore my wheels to bits and the front of the car wash didnt move up in time and ripped a bumper section clean off.

BP vs me and my Audi A3 - I win after 1 month of negotiating - there first offer was a refund of the car wash price!
BP and HSBC risk assesors VS me and my Audi A3= I win again after my Insurance company threating with Court action
Engineer came round the other day and he says the alloys need replacing (there that badly damaged that they cant be repaired) and a new bumper.

Most of the "pull through" type washes (like the IMO-ARC one I use) have warnings about cars with low profile tyres and wheels being damaged. The one I use will check tyre profile and sizes and if they're too low they simply wont let you through.

I can't think of any pull through carwashes in Aberdeen at all.
Thank gowd,by the sound of it.

I've always thought their disclaimers are worthless.
Someone is always liable.

neversaydie,

Firstly, sorry to hear the trouble that your going through, but I had to laugh at BP's first offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Now let me think.....BP want to refund a fiver when they damage your pride and joy to the value of £1k+

I bet it took you all of 1 sec to refuse and rip his head off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What was BP's profit last year?
something in the £9bn mark?

Unbelievable parasites....

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the "pull through" type washes (like the IMO-ARC one I use) have warnings about cars with low profile tyres and wheels being damaged. The one I use will check tyre profile and sizes and if they're too low they simply wont let you through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your correct it would have been fine had the controller noticed the size of the wheels prior to giving them a good clean, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
However no signs otherwise I would have used my nod - I didnt even know until I was half way through that these type of car washes exsisted!

I have never used a carwash ........
Never will.
Proper job, Zymol shampoo, rinse with filtered water, blow water out of difficult places with compressed air, hand leather (Pittards only of course) total anarak .....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif