D.I.S flickering

FranA3

FMDETAILING
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
hi all now i don't know if this is a problem in the making or its been doing it for ages and not noticed but on the way home from work today i noticed my d.i.s is flickering not a great deal but enough to notice it is doing so like i said it may have been doing it for ages and not noticed but i noticed it today , as far as i can tell its just the d.i.s doing it the rest seam ok , it only does it with the lights on , just wondering if it something like the alternator or something like that no problems tho :( , anyone got any ideas , its not a major problem (yet) just wondering what could be causing it
cheers
fran

Fran, here are some ideas. You have mentioned that the DIS was flickering when you were driving home. OK, so when you reach home while the car is stationary, does it still flicker? If not, you probably have a bad connection behind the DIS, and the vibration is causing the flicker. If the DIS continues to flicker when stationary with engine at idle, then its probably related to the generator/charging electrical circuits. Now turn off the engine and see if it still flickers. If so, it is something wrong with what is driving the DIS display electrically. Try all this and see what happens. A long-shot, but it might steer you in the right direction regarding a fix. Good luck mate.

thanks for the info mate , it does it when stopped or moving , i noticed a few weeks ago the car seamed to struggle for literally a second then fire up as normal like a battery that isn't fully charged but its been fine before and is fine now I'm a bit clueless tbh lol its charging as it should do too i put a multimeter on the battery and its charging ok hmmm :think:

Sounds as though a voltage regulator/diode has gone down to me. Variations in voltage in charging should be smoothed out by a regulator or diode. The alternator pumps out a/c (obviously !) and is rectified by hefty diodes built into it and if any alternating current is getting out it will quite likely affect the led's. It will still provide a charge to the battery but it will be noticeable if the engine is running.

Another thing is there could be a dicky winding in the instrument lighting adjustment potentiometer. Roll that up and down a few times to see if it clears it. Finally, using VCDS go into 'instruments' and change the last digit to 4. This will put the instrument lights onto full all the time and see if it clears. If there is no improvement then I can only suggest substituting another instrument panel.

Good luck !

thanks mike i don't want to change the dials if thats the case it can stay like it lol , i hope its something simple i don't like things complicated haha