Heres a question for everyone... and some images for you to gaze at! *gearbox*

barnzy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, okay so noticed a rattling and awful gear change problem from the gearbox...

automatic thoughts on a diesel... duel mass & clutch release bearings.. no biggie 365 quid in parts later...

i have just dropped the bow out of my car only to notice a big void in the box... look below and tell me your thoughts

what has caused this and can i get away with just replacing the bearing and finally has this happened to anyone else?
looks to me like the end cap has come off and scattered the bearings everywhere! across work car park for instance.

f3cqv9.jpg

Common problem, just replace the crappy bearing.
My mate had the same thing happen to his A3, same year and engine.

yeah it looks like its ruined the box thou :/ as the outer bearing shell is look inside the cast ally?

Yeah he had the same problem, you can repair it with a alloy resin or something along those lines. He did this a 4 months ago and hasn't had a problem so far.
But if you are thinking of keeping the car long term then maybe get a new gearbox case. But just the side where that bearing goes, and it doesnt have to be Audi, any VAG group 2.0tdi box shell will do i think. Keep an eye on ebay they come up for under £100 sometimes, get one thats broken on one side but still has the side you need intact.
As for the gear change problem it most likely is the clutch, again ebay sometimes has good deals on these things. Got my clutch and flywheel for £270 (2.0 tdi)