Another 2.0TDI Superchip Review

I

imported_Spin140

The guy responsible for organising the group buy with RSD & S/chips from the mkivs-forum posted this after his re-map yesterday..

Well, I have been down to Superchips HQ today.........all I can say is WOW !!!!!

A major amount of gratitude goes out to Jamie (Technical Director) and Dave (Workshop Tech).....they spent LOADS of time with me.

I am sure Jamie has plenty to be doing with the usual rigors of everyday business life but in fact devoted two hours solid to showing me around the Superchips offices and workshops.
I also learned alot about how S/C carry out the chipping and how this relates to the franchised S/C dealer networks around the UK and the world.

Best of all though was the result from the primary reason for paying the visit.....the remap!

Dave did the original rolling road........showing the car to have around 153bhp as stock.....not unexpected and pretty well "bang on" the figure that most PD140's show.

The remap was loaded and the RR run up once more.

Smoke was around the same as stock - not alot really - certainly very acceptable.

We then took the car out on the road.......well, in fact Dave did his usual route on the bypass and I passangered with Jamie in his 2,0FSiT Audi A3 Sportback (chipped to 243bhp).

It seemed strange to be following my own car but it was very rewarding......

The key point from all this was that a) my TDi was not smoking much at all AND 2) that the TDi was able to stay ahead of the 2.0FSiT under acceleration from the roundabouts.
In fact in general their performance was on a par.

OK, so the Audi had 2-up........but there's more.......

Jamie suggested they do another map and give the TDi another 10% because the smoke was still low....to which I agreed, of course!

The final RR results were superb in both bhp and torque.....

On Superchips' rollers, the best final run achieved 188bhp / 295lb.ft........which has therefore shown a 35bhp and (IIRC) around 54lb.ft improvement over the stock figures obtained earlier.

I declined another road test as i felt i'd tied up the guys for alot longer than i should have and made my way home.....3 hours after arriving....THAT's how much these guys care about getting it right!

The drive home was inspiring....I managed to give it beans on several stretches.

My main praise comes from just how drivable the car is now.......and does NOT exhibit any of the unwanted traits you'd dread....like crazy torque delivery giving excess wheel spin.

The torque is laid nicely across the revs and power is not too peaky though.......giving a very deceptive amount of shove at almost any revs.

The turbo comes up and spools without too much delay especially if you're changing up and have some revs to build upon.

The big problem now is; just how to keep this side of the law!!!

In a nutshell - you MUST get this done if you're at all thinking of a remap....it's 110% value!

............It seems that wether you choose RSD or S/Chips either way you won't regret it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I

We then took the car out on the road.......well, in fact Dave did his usual route on the bypass and I passangered with Jamie in his 2,0FSiT Audi A3 Sportback (chipped to 243bhp).

It seemed strange to be following my own car but it was very rewarding......

The key point from all this was that a) my TDi was not smoking much at all AND 2) that the TDi was able to stay ahead of the 2.0FSiT under acceleration from the roundabouts.
In fact in general their performance was on a par.

OK, so the Audi had 2-up........but there's more.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Get real, as if your oilburner is really capable of staying ahead of a 243bhp 2.0FSIT - i think not! Im sure they portrayed that mind to make you extra happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
out of interest.. what car do you drive Nervus?

[/ QUOTE ]

An S3 and when its sunny a Porsche 911 (996) Turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What difference does it make what i drive?

[ QUOTE ]

Get real, as if your oilburner is really capable of staying ahead of a 243bhp 2.0FSIT - i think not! Im sure they portrayed that mind to make you extra happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On the mid range then yes I don't doubt a tractor would be able to keep ahead of a chipped 2.0FsiT, fron a standing start then now the pertol will pull away and at the higher end as well but in real world speeds - 20/30mph - 90/100mph then I wouldn;t be against the Taxi

J.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the mid range then yes I don't doubt a tractor would be able to keep ahead of a chipped 2.0FsiT, fron a standing start then now the pertol will pull away and at the higher end as well but in real world speeds - 20/30mph - 90/100mph then I wouldn;t be against the Taxi

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, In gear comparisons i.e. both in 3rd and pull to 70 say in third then of course the oilburner will destroy most petrols.

Who stays in too high a gear when really going for it??? erm.... except my girlfriend.

[ QUOTE ]
in real world speeds - 20/30mph - 90/100mph then I wouldn;t be against the Taxi

[/ QUOTE ]

There's definitely truth in this... The tidal wave of torque, however short lasting, is quite effective at in-gear acceleration.

However, given any stretch of road, the TFSI would be going bye-bye...

Does anyone on this thread have any interests regarding skilled driving, or are you all too obsessed with power and straight line acceleration? Please stop bickering about your respective engines - I am very pleased for anyone who gets good tuning results, but as for which car is quickest, I think you'll find that the answer is... whichever is being driven by the quickest driver!

good point well made jungle...

...who's up for a session at Buckmore Park?

[ QUOTE ]
Nervus you are an ignorant little person.

You clearly have never been behind the wheel of a remapped "oil burner". Knowing the guy who wrote the review which has been quoted above, he is not the type to just write up rubbish for the sake of it.

Nobody said the TDI was eating the FSI Turbo for breakfast but that it wasn't able to leave it behind. To actually leave another car for dead you need roughly 100bhp more to completely waste it. A tuned FSI Turbo does not have 100bhp more.

And to the other person, you can rest assured that a remapped 2.0 TDI has plenty of top end, I had mine at figures I wouldn't repeat on a forum at the weekend but suffice to say it was a good deal beyond stock max speed since being Superchipped.

As for the tidal wave of torque being quoted by the 3.2 driver - it lasts from around 1,700 rpm and pulls to the red line, that is not short my friend.

A Superchipped TDI is in fact as quick as your 3.2 in MOST in gear times - based on 2.0 TDI remapped car Vs an R32. Do a search on the web, it's amazing the stuff you can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorant am i? Well i bet i have owned and driven more cars in my relatively young years than you will in your lifetime. Oh, and yes i have driven a 'chipped' oilburner but it was a golf GTI TDI ~ 180bhp. There is no way that a chipped diesel of 180hp will be able to keep up/ stay with (call it what you like) a VAG petrol turbo of ~250hp if driven properly - fact, get over it, if its performance your after you bought the wrong car! Thats even if you push it all the way to the dizzy redline heights of 4.5-5k rpm wow!

Additionally, i dont have a 3.2 or R32, just an S3 and the 911, but with porsche not making a diesel 911, i bet i will not know the meaning of torque - right? ****!

[ QUOTE ]

Ignorant am i? Well i bet i have owned and driven more cars in my relatively young years than you will in your lifetime. Oh, and yes i have driven a 'chipped' oilburner but it was a golf GTI TDI ~ 180bhp. There is no way that a chipped diesel of 180hp will be able to keep up/ stay with (call it what you like) a VAG petrol turbo of ~250hp if driven properly - fact, get over it, if its performance your after you bought the wrong car! Thats even if you push it all the way to the dizzy redline heights of 4.5-5k rpm wow!

Additionally, i dont have a 3.2 or R32, just an S3 and the 911, but with porsche not making a diesel 911, i bet i will not know the meaning of torque - right? ****!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think this answer kinda backs up what Mark said.

Let me guess your dad's bigger as well...

I have had my 2.0 TDI sport for the last year, and would like to get it go a bit faster. I am interested in getting one of these re-maps. I understand about the warranty conditions, but when I purchased my car I also bought the Audi Inclusive service package. Does anyone know if a remap will make this void - increase wear on clutch / tyres etc?

[ QUOTE ]
I have had my 2.0 TDI sport for the last year, and would like to get it go a bit faster. I am interested in getting one of these re-maps. I understand about the warranty conditions, but when I purchased my car I also bought the Audi Inclusive service package. Does anyone know if a remap will make this void - increase wear on clutch / tyres etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi David,

Official line from Audi would, i'm sure be a void of cover. As you say they would say additional wear due to higher than designed for loads blah, blah, blah...

But, I can't see your local dealer letting them know, as they know they're getting good repeat buisness from you for the 3 years.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think this answer kinda backs up what Mark said.

Let me guess your dad's bigger as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it wasn't intended that way. I got branded an "Ignorant little man" for giving an opinion based on first hand experience and then got flamed for responding.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Hey lets all be friends, how did that song in the playground go ?

Something like..." make friends, make friends never ever break friends..." :)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Oh what a jumped up little to55er you just came across as there.

"I bet I have owned more cars than you in your lifetime"...yep, that was the one that really showed you up.

Well I'm a few weeks 23 and I've owned 4 cars so far since first buying in 2000- number 5 will be on the way next year. So the figures are not too bad so far...all new cars by the way too. I'm gonna stop now though because I'm starting to sound like you.

In a nutshell I hate diesel bashing idiots whose only way to say negative things about them is to post misquoted and incorrect figures when comparing them to petrols.

Take a PD150 and 1.8T 150bhp Golf GTI for example. They both have same bhp but the PD150 is quicker. Why is that do you think nervus? (I would be too!!!).

I'm not talking about a 180 Golf, I'm talking about my 194bhp A3 and I'm telling you, a 250 bhp will not LEAVE IT BEHIND. Yes it is faster but mine will more than likely have a lot more torque and if you know so much as you claim you do "in your short years" you'll know that a car with a little under 50bhp more will not just eat the lesser car for breakfast. It will be a slow gradual pull when they do manage to pull away.

I'm glad your Porsche makes you feel like it does though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But you're still ignorant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Karcsi clearly that would be the case, agree with you. But 50bhp is simply not enough to completely leave a car for dead.

Turbo petrols do have a fair bit of torque true but remember that diesels respond better torque wise to remaps so I would hazard a guess that a chipped 2.0TDI would probably still have more torque than a chipped 2.0 TFSI.

[ QUOTE ]
People, don't forget that a turbo charged petrol engine has quite a bit of torque as well. So, ignoring perhaps the way Nervus has elaborated his opinion, I think a 250bhp TFSI would show a clean pair of heels to a chipped TDI. I would hope so, other wise there would be a lot of seriously peeved off TFSI owners! They are already no doubt cheesed off that their standard motor is only on par with a chipped diesel. If an extra 30-40bhp can transform the TDI, then why shouldn't an extra 50bhp do the same for the TFSI?

I'd love to see a test between a standard TDI, TFSI, 3.2 and their chipped versions - straight line and around a track.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted 0-60 and 0-100 times on another thread here, but can't find it. If I remember correctly the chipped TFSI was only 0.3 secs slower to 60 than an S4 ( 5.8 vs 5.5 secs ) and by 100 was near as the same time.

I think a chipped 2.0TDI would be around low 7's to 60 and then should lose very little from 60-100 which is where th TDI is best.

So the chipped TFSI will pull away, albeit very slowly. As stated many times in this thread, you need a substantial power to weight ratio increase to 'blow' another car away !

Found it,

An A3 2.0TQ manual with a superchip produced performance figures that are not far off the S4.
0-60 -> A32.0t=5.8sec, S4=5.5sec, A33.2=6.3sec
0-80 -> A32.0t=8.5sec, S4=8.4sec, A33.2=10.4sec

The superchip upgrade is rated at 244hp@6183rpm and 235ft/lbs@2572rpm. Quite conservative considering what MTM apparently has on the way.

This thing is going to be a rocket!

Interesting thread.

One thing that the new 2.0T FSI has is loads of low down grunt. It feels incredibly like a diesel for pull. This is something the S3 for example couldnt match and the R32 owner can only dream of. But the engine is not stunning anywhere in the rev range, but just good throughout.

I have my doubts though that after a rechip a chipped 140 could really keep up and with any extended acceleration it would really struggle.

I have not owned a Golf 2.0 140, but have had a Fabia VRS, chipped to 180 and 295lbft by AMD. Also had an S3 chipped and std and an R32. Current steed is a MKV GTI, so hopefully I can make some good comparisions:)

Jonathan

I drove a V GTI in Dec and thought it pulled low down like my then standard 2.0TDI.

Not many petrol cars do that and it's a good selling point to a PD diesel driver because that one thing I would miss now if changing would be the low down grunt.

Mark N where did you get your car chipped at?
See Ireland as your location so was wondering.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm the r32 has no low down torque....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when compared to the 2.0T engine IMHO. Great sounding engine, but not the best performing for its large capacity. I'll always miss the sound, but not the lack of mid range grunt.

lol at this tread and esp Mark_N, five cars you say? Well now i know who to turn too for advice. Your Ignorant, you little pipe!

Im glad there are some people who can look at things objectively instead of just assuming that they have the quickest car in the planet because its just been chipped.

A chipped FSiT may not leave you for dead, but it will leave you for sure. I thought it was claimed it could not leave you. Now it just 'not leave you by much' get over it, im sure your car is very, very fast.

go onto www.civictype-r.co.uk and tell them how you can keep up with them, im sure you will have an interesting debate as they are all blinkered narrow minded idiots too!

[ QUOTE ]
lol at this tread and esp Mark_N, five cars you say? Well now i know who to turn too for advice. Your Ignorant, you little pipe!

Im glad there are some people who can look at things objectively instead of just assuming that they have the quickest car in the planet because its just been chipped.

A chipped FSiT may not leave you for dead, but it will leave you for sure. I thought it was claimed it could not leave you. Now it just 'not leave you by much' get over it, im sure your car is very, very fast.

go onto www.civictype-r.co.uk and tell them how you can keep up with them, im sure you will have an interesting debate as they are all blinkered narrow minded idiots too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that is getting bored of this insult throwing. Heated debate is interesting, this is not. We are all happy with the choice of car that WE choose, end of....

I agree. We all buy our Audis to suit our own particular requirements. The fact that one goes faster than another to me is completely irrelevant. Is it so comfortable, does it have 2 door or 4. Is it an econimical diesel or a higher reving petrol. These are all important points to the individual. Does it have a quality interior and exterior finish. If the only reason for buying a particular car is does it go faster that x, then personally I think your buying the wrong make of car. That's not what Audis are about.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you little pipe!

[/ QUOTE ]

pipe?

Would you like to borrow my insults dictionary you...you...you window

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you've gone too far with that one!!!!!

J.

Back on thread: One thing is for sure, a chipped 140 is a darn site faster than a standard PD130. Drove my father's A4 130 at the weekend and, although no slug by any means, it felt really slow compared to my chipped 140. My father was gobsmacked when I took him out in mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Quite conservative considering what MTM apparently has on the way.

This thing is going to be a rocket!

[/ QUOTE ]

What have you heard then? MTM have a chip out already but its similar in output although a bit more torque than Superchips. I'm holding back on doing mine for the moment.

MTM always seem a little conservative on their performance claims and often yield way better results than they garantee!

I never said I had the fastest car on the planet.

I just disagree with your 1990s view on diesel engines, particularly chipped ones.

Funny, I took the mick out of your "I've had so many cars" by saying I had 5 and YOU then attempted to slag me for taking the mick out of what you said? So you slagged your own snobbish attitude off. Good one that.

And as for your pipe comment. PMSL. Oh dear. And the word you were looking for was YOU'RE not YOUR.

Now wasn't this thread about Superchips? Cause I'm done with I drive a Porsche, Daddy bought me everything and I'll own more cars than you boy.

lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

= I can't defend myself anymore cause I know I'm an arrogant tool.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

= I can't defend myself anymore cause I know I'm an arrogant tool.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

ah for goodness sake give it a break. I keep checking back here for more good quality information and keep getting this rubbish.......