Badger5Chris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

RSD Oettinger Remap

Got it done today at RSD in Daventry as part of the uk-mkivs.net group buy. Got there 10.30 (after getting lost in Northampton!), and the car was ready by 3pm.

I'm still in shock. I just can't believe it's the same car!!

Very crudely put, each gear now provides the same or greater acceleration as one gear lower in the standard car. So 3rd and 4th are now as 2nd and 3rd were in the standard car, while 5th and 6th are unbelieveable when you hit the naughty side of the national limit.

What I find even more astonishing is the nothing but completely refined manner the engine delivers the power. As with the standard engine, the torque comes in at 1700-1800rpm. The only difference is that there is more of it. No sudden jerk; just there when you need it. And then it's there all the way through to 4000rpm and beyond. Linear as you like. And it's the same story as gear follows gear.

However, there is no need to go all the way to the read line. So those like me who do not like to rev the Bejesus out of an engine, and only go as far as the end of the torque band at about 3000-3200rpm, will benefit the most.

What I didn't like about the standard engine was that it seemed to be inconsistent. Catch it at the wrong moment (within the torque band), and although you seem to get the same acceleration as always, it didn't seem as good. More accurately, the engine didn't have the same full note and seemed to be labouring. To analogise, it was like hammering a nail into a loose board - same input power, but not the same "pull".

That's gone. The engine actually sounds more "solid", and always deliveries the same result - a large grin on my face! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No clutch issues so far. Although I can easily imagine how a colder clutch/drive plate may react to so much torque at such low revs. The answer is simple - don't hammer the car when cold (you shouldn't do that whether it's remapped not) and just be sensible when applying the power.

I have not done any timed runs of any sort - just in too much shock at the moment. But put it this way, in my favourite game of slip road GP (holding back from the cars in front, judging the flow of traffic on the motorway in advance, and then applying the gas to arrive at speed to quickly advance to the outside lane) I was hitting speeds 10-20mph above my normal, which means I will have to be really careful so not to pull out in front of Mr Plod!

So-much-power-through-the-front-wheels wise: absolutely no problem.....in the dry, though. Yes, 2nd gear will chirrup if you stamp on the gas pedal like a maniac. But anything bar that and the chassis handles the power perfectly. The Sport suspension is superb, and just soaks it up like it's second nature. 3rd gear, no problem at all. All the power goes down and you are taken smoothly around the corner at frightening pace.

I do not know what the power output of the engine is now, but I don't think I care. I guess it is around the 175-180bhp mark. But whatever it is, knowing the figure will make not one jott of difference to the performance experience.

I am, and I think going to remain, totally astonished that the car doesn't arrive from Neckarsulm this way. Apart from the additional potency, it feels far more refined than the standard car. And the remap also seems to have solved the lumpy idle which I got everytime after some enthusiastic driving, despite a software update last year.

MPG-wise, after a combination of heavy footedness and steady driving I managed 48mpg. However, big pinch of salt please. After the elatedness has died down and I return to driving more like a responsible person, I will be able to compare like with like. But that's unlikely to happen anytime soon! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

In one way, I'm a little sad. This puts another nail in the coffin of me ever owning another car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif[/img], and certainly ever owning a petrol engined car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. What more could anyone want or need from a car?

Oh, and smoke. Smoke?! What's that? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Uber Post Whore

Status

Re: RSD Oettinger Remap

Sounds great Karcsi. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

What difference has it made to your car insurance and did RSD give you a waranty with the remap.

Status

If they stopped huddling then maybe the stuff would be done quicker [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

J.

6th Gear

Status

I suppose one should take the yearly increase in insurance costs into account as well.
    Difficult for me as it is a company car.I've no idea if the MD would sanction the mod and,even if he did,if he'd expect me to pay the increased premium.
    I'll have to test the water.

imported_Spin140

Congratulations Karsci, you have a new baby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Glad you are enjoying it, reading the various reviews it certainly seems the S/C & RSD remap offer very similar gains and characteristics, bet you enjoyed the drive home [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suppose one should take the yearly increase in insurance costs into account as well.
    Difficult for me as it is a company car.I've no idea if the MD would sanction the mod and,even if he did,if he'd expect me to pay the increased premium.
    I'll have to test the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, he'll not sanction that, otherwise you're likely to spank him in his TT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

Hell Japper..
    He drives like an old woman.
    You'd be able to spank him in a Polo tdi,never mind a chipped A3..
    He's one of those 'kangaroo petrol' drivers.
    He's constantly on and off the throttle,even on a clear road at a constant speed.
    Very strange behaviour and actually makes you feel quite ill...

Status

That kangeroo petrol can be very annoying....