EBA

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Anyone else had a problem with this being a little over zealous?

Two seperate incidents this morning where the car decided to do a bit of extra braking for me, but it isn't particularly subtle.

Equivilant to standing on brake pedal with both feet and pushing as hard as you can.

Fekin dangerous in my opinion. What's the chances of getting it disabled?

Not had this sorry !, only had the ABS come in once on loose gravel over the weekend.

Steve K
I think you may be confusing EBA with ABS.
ABS stops the wheels locking but is completely seperate from EBA.
EBA senses you slamming the brakes on hard and assumes you're in an emergency situation and applies more pressure to the calipers without you actually pressing the pedal harder.
It can be a right pain when driving in a 'sporty' manner.
Gives you assistance you didn't ask for and don't want/need.

I think I must drive like miss daisy, never had it cut in on my old Leon Cupra R which had it fitted in 2.5 years and not on the A3 yet either. Guess you must be doing too much tailgating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wife always moans at me for breaking too late /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but I haven't had this come on so can safely tell her 'I'm a late but progressive break'er' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No tailgating,I promise.
Plenty of late braking over twisty scottish roads though.
You brake late and hard,using your 'skill and judgement' to drag the brakes towards the apex,and the bleedin EBA cuts in.
You're then forced to back off your pedal pressure or you end up braking 'too much'.
It can be disconcerting as it goes against what you're expecting and anticipating.

Imagine sitting on a bus and setting the volume on your i-pod.
Imagine the person next to you adjusting it and saying "I think it should be there".
it's the driving equivalent of that,sort of....

Did the LCR have EBA if it did mine never worked? I find the EBA on the A3 a pain and have needed to re-adjust my braking tecniche, it's very similar to the TT.

Cheers bowfer, you are quite right - had no idea what EBA was until now.

I had to break blimmin hard on the A1 the other day - came over the brow of a hill at a hefty pace to be greeted with a complete standstill ahead. Slammed on anchors v hard, brakes performed so well I was able to roll up to the car in front rather than squeal to a stop as I first feared. Didn't feel anything supernatural on the brake pedal then.

Maybe some people's are set too sensitive?

I tell you what would be scary.
EBA without ABS !
There'd be skidmarks all over the place,and not just on the road....

[ QUOTE ]
Did the LCR have EBA if it did mine never worked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, certainly did... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I tell you what would be scary.
EBA without ABS !

[/ QUOTE ]
Not possible, they are one and the same system. EBA is an extension of the ABS system.

Well I tried my damdest to get this to kick in today with no joy at all. Either i'm soft on the brakes or my EBA is switched off or your guys have got a sensitive one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
****** Americans..they're to blame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beware the confusion: it's all the ****** british lawyers who moved to america that are to blame.

I've tried provoking the EBA, to no avail. Tried fast, strong jabs at the brake, tried fast "lift from throttle-slam on brakes", tried braking hard on corner entry, after turn-in, and nothing but great, predictable behavior!?!

Could there be a difference in software between different models, TDI, TFSI & 3.2?

[ QUOTE ]
Well the local dealer begs to differ with you guys !
I even spoke to an ex-VW mechanic I knew at the time and he confirmed it.
If you hit the rev limiter on the Golf Gti Turbo it shuts the turbo down.
It used to be an ignition reset (turn off the ignition,turn it back on,end of problem) but they made it a dealer reset instead.He didn't know why they did this as it was a pain for them as well.
I lost count of how many times I had to go in with it.

I ended up hating that car with a vengeance.It promised so much but delivered so little.
It wasn't fit to wear a Gti badge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'll take your word for it then, my car and the demo that I had for a week whilst mine was in being repaired must have both been busted then as neither of them did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.