Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Mayonaise on oil cap - diagnostic help please.

Hi, I've a 2006 2.0T, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a white film on the inside of the oil cap, I wiped it off and after approx 1k miles I've re-checked, there is the beginnings of another thin white layer of oil/water mayonaise. There isn't very much and I haven't noticed the coolant drop, but it is definately building up again.

I've read several posts on this forum and it sppears it could be the headgasket or the oil cooler, is there an easy way to diagnose what the problem is?

Thanks.
    Current Garage:
    Audi A3 2.0tfsi - the daily
    Honda '89 Mk2 CRX - true love
    Honda '91 4gCivic - track project

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    that is a possible cause or do you do lots of short journeys as that can cause it? my trip to work in the morning is only 3 miles so im always wiping that creamy crap off of my cap!

Neutral

Status
    Yeah, I mainly do short trips. How do short trips get water into the oil?
    Current Garage:

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah its the coolant/water getting into the engine. A pressure/compression test I guess is the only way to find out!
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

Status
    Short journeys mean car doesn't warm up properly and I had a similar issue. Catch can cured it. but for general running around I wouldn't recommend one. Try and take it for a good run once a week.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    yer read up on the 2.0T engines you should try and give it a good thrashing occasionally. Also if you are unable to try and drive at a constant speed at 3000RPM so it stops carbon build up.

Monitor it so it doesnt get worse but try and do a few longer journeys.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

6th Gear

Status
    my misses old seat leon 1.8t 20v use to do the same and its still running fine 2 years on.
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

2nd Gear

Status
    its more than likely condensation in the oil as you dont get it to full temp on short journeys,go give it a good run

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep a close eye on it and make sure I do a few longer journeys , Think I'll also get the cylinder compression tested for peace of mind.
    Current Garage:

1st Gear

Status
    It a common/normal thing really once the outside temps start to drop this time of year.
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

Audi Heaven

Status
    Yeah mine does it with short runs... A good long weekend blast soon clears it!
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

"Fire up the Quattro!"

Status

My Social Networking

Add Audi-Rog on Facebook
    Also check you have the right viscosity oil in your car, mine did it all the time during the winter. Then realised the garage had been putting the wrong oil in! Then put the proper recommended (expensive) oil from Audi in, stopped doing it so badly.

I remember when I first saw mayonaising in the filler cap, I thought I'd bought a car with a failing Head gasket! Then read the threads on here and breathed a huge sigh of relief!

As said already just take your car out on a decent weekly run, that should help clear any moisture. (keep an eye on it though)

|Audi S4 B6 4.2 V8..gone|A3 TFSI Q S line..gone|
    |Current: Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG
    S line|BBS Carlitos|

|K&N Panel Filter|Superchipped 265 BHP|
    |Link
    :FREEMAN:detailing Milton Keynes|

A3 Sportback 2.0 T FSi

Status
    Just done a weekend clean up on my 2.0T FSi and when I checked the oil it was just at the half way point so thought I'd top her up. To my horror I found a large quantity of sludge on the oil filler cap, its a cream colour with a ting of green.
    Their is no loss of coolant, nothing on the dipstick.
    My journey to work is 10 miles, is this short enough not to clear the condensation?
    I was worried my head gasket might be going!
    How long do they last anyway? Mys car is an 05 with 63k on the clock.
    Car was serviced by Stoke Audi 5 weeks ago so would have thought they would have highlighted something.

Thanks.

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbarratt View Post
    Just done a weekend clean up on my 2.0T FSi and when I checked the oil it was just at the half way point so thought I'd top her up. To my horror I found a large quantity of sludge on the oil filler cap, its a cream colour with a ting of green.
    My journey to work is 10 miles, is this short enough not to clear the condensation?
    Car was serviced by Stoke Audi 5 weeks ago so would have thought they would have highlighted something.

Thanks.
    10 miles isn't long enough especially in the winter. The car needs a good 50 mile constant drive to get to temperature to clear the sludge. It's normal at this time of year.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbarratt View Post

Thanks.
    depends on how you drive,if you are stuck in traffic at 30 mph all the time then you will not get the condensation out and will build up the mayo

A3 Sportback 2.0 T FSi

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marknjayne View Post
    depends on how you drive,if you are stuck in traffic at 30 mph all the time then you will not get the condensation out and will build up the mayo
    No it's quite a fast run with many sections at around 50 mph.

I am off to Preston next weekend which is 56 miles away mainly down the M6 so I will see if this clears it - fingers crossed.

2nd Gear

Status
    First thing I would do is drop the oil and get some fresh stuff in , as a matter of course I change mine every 3-4k miles

A3 Sportback 2.0 T FSi

Status
    It was serviced at Stoke Audi 5 weeks ago so had an oil change then along with 60k spark plug change and MOT. Its on the annual Service Plan (rather than long life).