Brighter main beams

JaminBen

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their main beam bulbs for something brighter / whiter? I've searched the forum and haven't come up with anything...

Going from the (xenon) low beam to (halogen) high beam doesn't seem to yield much gain in terms of reach / brightness. Any suggestions?

TIA

-Ben

I don't have Xenon dip beam, but I have chnaged both my dip and main beam bulbs to Philips Vision Plus which are supposed to give 50% more light than a ordinary halogen bulb.

I find them a definite improvement over the ordinary bulbs.

I'm running Xenon's on mine, for the main beam I use Philips Sportzblue bulbs in the H7 fitment

They are rated at 80w so strictly not legal, but hey, full beam shouldn't be used to dazzle other road users!

Also noticed that the H7's I took out of the car were only rated at 55w, now I know for a fact that other cars with a H4 bulb, and 2 filaments in the one unit, were rated at 55w (dip) / 60w (full) so the choice of bulb by Audi does seem to be a bit off!

I have the xenons too and the side lights/full beam are very yellow in comparison.

There's a fairly white sidelight/beam available and lots of guys over on uk-mkivs.net have it.

I *think* they're called PIAA or something like that.

[ QUOTE ]
I have the xenons too and the side lights/full beam are very yellow in comparison.

There's a fairly white sidelight/beam available and lots of guys over on uk-mkivs.net have it.

I *think* they're called PIAA or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have xenons (unfortunately) but I have replaced the dipped beam with some PIAA Xtreme White H7's, which have a much sharper, crisp white light,though the should at £65 a time!! The side lights have been replaced by the Phillips Blue Vision bulbs you get free when ordering from PowerBulbs. Changing the sidelight bulbs makes all the difference.

Can you change them on the Xenon equip'd cars? It would be nice to get rid of the yellowish side lights.

I wanted to change the indicator blbs with some silver ones to get rid of the orange and there's no room around them...

J.

I went out and bought four PIAA bulbs, expensive but well worth it, very close to HID out put and on main beam as well.

As people have said the Dipped and Main beam bulbs (both h7) are very easy to change. The side lights are not so easy. The driver side one is the easiest to do out of the 2. You need a long thin set of pliers. They just need pulling back and they should pop out.Once out it is very easy to change them.

**TIP**

I found when changing the side light on the passenger side it was easier to take out the main beam bulb first so you can see what your holding on too with the pliers.

hope this helps

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]
It sure does!

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Now I just have to make up my mind as to which bulbs to purchase.

Thanks again,

-Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you want from the bulb. Do you want a HID look, clearer light output or a combination of the 2?

IMO/experience the Osrams and Phillips bulbs don't change the look all that much, when looking at the lens, also on modern cars the light output is not that much better than the standard bulbs. You need a bulb that has a fairly high output with a slight blue tint on the glass (not too much other wise the light output will be restricted)

I personally think that the PIAA xtreme whites give the best results. Just a shame about the price!

Going from memory,the way autoexpress rate the bulbs is by measuring the distance they light up a kerb.
The Osrams lit up 58% more of the kerb than standard.
That's the kind of thing I'm after.
I don't necessarily want brighter.
I just want the cut-off to be less abrupt.

Am I making sense ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Over the years I have tried most of them, always come back to the PIAA bulbs, huge improvement over what is fitted as standard. It does work out expensive to fit all four (they are all H7's) but I need to drive down small dark country lanes and find it well worth the money. They did have a reputation for early failure but I have NEVER had one go. Perhaps shouldnt have said that. They are easy to change, note that the bulb clips in and out follow the instructions in your handbook...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

can't see the 10% refund and free side bulbs on the site, can you point me in the right direction.

thanks

migzy

sorry, just spotted it, goign blind with my old age.

Cheers

migzy

Just as well you're ordering brighter bulbs then.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

had changed to the osram on mine (bought from powerbulbs as well with the free bleue vision philips lights that I could not be bothered to fit - I still have them actually) and did not find much difference (didnot have xenons). Only a little bit whiter but the light does not go further than standard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I think it's to do with the design of the car headlamps really. Even our polo does light up the road better!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I misunderstood the way the bulbs are tested.
The Osrams did not light up 58% more road,as such.
They were found to be 58% brighter than standard at a distance of 50 metres.
Still,should be a useful improvement and only £45 spent,after all.

They're probably from Vagparts..

I had them on a Golf and they're good - and bright but not a patch on OEM xenons.

[ QUOTE ]
although they aren't european branded hella/philip (£240 if you want hella), they still provide you with true xenon brightness

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these for main (high) beams?

When I searched this forum regarding bulbs, I came across an interesting thread, that mentioned the fact that xenons fitted in non-projector-style lenses don't really do much in terms of reach...