Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Angry HUGE vacuum leak Help! :(

Hey Guys, few weeks ago i went to check the oil noticed that my engine is sucking a lot of air, when i took the engine cap of the engine would almost die/turn off and would shake.

Ive looked around and needed to know has anyone else experienced this, had the vagcom checked it and returned nothing. ANY Advice would be appreciated.

Been driving for weeks now accelerate is terrible at low revs ive been getting around 190km half a tank is that normal?

Last edited by a3rider; 17th November 2011 at 07:07.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Engine size / fuel type / age / mileage??????????

Give us a clue!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    A3 2.0T quattro 2006 around 72,000 km Petrol of course.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Have you checked all the levels and seals for leaks or split pipes??

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    yeah i have, cant see anything that will cause such a vacuum leak.

Status
    Next step would be to check all your hoses. Have you tightened any jubilee clips recently that may have cut into pipe work? (easily done).

Check the TIP as sometimes oil gets between this pipe and the turbo and can cause it to rise off it's flange which may compromise the seal to the turbo housing. Might also be worth checking inter cooler hoses too. Appreciate DV is a pain to check on 2.0T, but have you checked it recently?

Would a knackered PCV cause vacuum issues??? Not sure, but if you try the others and find nothing try the Jonny C PCV delete to see if it creates any improvement for not much money.

Would be useful if you could get someone to VCDS scan the car to make sure it's nothing less obvious.

Cheers
    W

4th Gear

Status
    Sounds like it could be PCV valve in my opinion. With a knackered pcv valve, at idle the inlet would be creating a vacuum in the crankcase and when you take the oil cap off it would allow unmetered air to enter the system possibly causing the unstable idle.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Neutral

Status
    the thing is the idling remains fine when i take the engine cap off./

4th Gear

Status
    You said when you take the cap off the engine almost turns off?
    Full VCDS

Neutral

Status
    yeah it does, but when i go and check the bar sits at 1000 rmps idling normally :S

4th Gear

Status
    It will idle normally with the oil cap on because the oil cap in effect seals the crankcase therefore stopping the unmetered air entering the system, whereas when you take the oil cap off there is nothing stopping the engine from sucking unmetered air through open oil filler through the crankcase and then through the pcv valve.
    Full VCDS

Neutral

Status
    idling remains at 1000 rmps with cap off or on i just checked it.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3rider View Post
    Hey Guys, few weeks ago i went to check the oil noticed that my engine is sucking a lot of air, when i took the engine cap of the engine would almost die/turn off and would shake.

So what you are saying is when you take the cap off it almost dies and shakes, but then continues to run at 1,000rpm.

You're going to get a pressure change within the system if you just take the cap off whilst it's running, so I'd expect to see a fluctuation in the running of the engine.

120 miles from half a tank of fuel does seem on the low side, but not unachievable if your caning it about the place.

To be honest these kind of issues are very hard to determine on a forum without seeing the car in the flesh, there are so many variables that can throw things out it's never as simple as a 'magic identifiable fix'

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    So what you are saying is when you take the cap off it almost dies and shakes, but then continues to run at 1,000rpm.

You're going to get a pressure change within the system if you just take the cap off whilst it's running, so I'd expect to see a fluctuation in the running of the engine.

120 miles from half a tank of fuel does seem on the low side, but not unachievable if your caning it about the place.

To be honest these kind of issues are very hard to determine on a forum without seeing the car in the flesh, there are so many variables that can throw things out it's never as simple as a 'magic identifiable fix'
    yeah it remains constant at the 1000 rpms, if it was idling problem i would know how to fix it, but this isnt something ive experienced before so any advice or any past experience would be appreciated, And the thing is i've been driving to the best of my ability changing gears at 3000rpms and super good driving and still i get crazy consumption. but thanx. i guess ill check everything mentioned tomorrow when i have time