Whats your thoughts on tints

RobMorris

Reaction score
Hello

Whats everyone opinion on tints?
Im getting light tints put on my 3 rear windows.
Im hoping it will look good!?
What says you?

Definitely they finish a car off! Not a fan of limo dark but light is nice. Wouldn't have a car without ticking the privacy glass option!

I haven't had a car without them.

I have limo back on the rear three and 25% on the driver and passenger doors.

Looks amazing!!

Went light tint on last car, but tint on Black Editions is much darker. Makes car look less fussy, and can help reduce heat within cabin if you have solar tints so double win!

so long as they aren't limo black they are all good i have medium tints on the rear of mine but don't get the fronts done don't like them at all will make it look like a drug dealers car lol

they look great and block most of the sun light in summer days, it also blocks most of the UV. i have medium tint all around (inc.front)

Not sure exactly what tint i have on the rear three (medium I think....not limo black anyway) but it looks great-love it, nothing on front windows.
Go for it!

I have 20% at the back and 55% at the front, i think the legal limit for front tints is 70%

getting my sb done mainly because i dont have rear view dimmer. ( not sure on the whole passenger and driver thing tho )

is it dangerious having the fronts done ( i.e car crash cant get out )

Sorry just my personal opinion and perhaps I am just getting old but I dont like them.I am willing to be convinced by a light tint on the right colour car though.

Light tint all round = win.

Limo black = fail

Dark on rear windows, none on front = Looks like a Van

If you'd asked me 6 months ago i would have said go for it, but now i wouldnt.
Had 20% applied to the rear 3 windows of my old Moro Blue 8P and instantly regretted it.
Got rid of the car a month later so didn't really matter, but yeah, i think they only look good on black cars tbh..

Light tint all round = win.

Limo black = fail

Dark on rear windows, none on front = Looks like a Van

Completely agree with that statement anything light I quite like too much spoils the car. Going to get mine done soon i think.

I have rear factory fitted dark windows on my S-Line SB Lava Grey 170 and i quite like them :)

Anyone know what aftermarket percentage is equivalent to the factory tint?

Tints are the way to go! always get my cars done with 20% from b pillar back

Love my tints and wouldnt have a car without. I have dark on the rears and lights on the fronts, blends it in a bit and I prefer it. I also like dark all round but its a personnal choice.

I'd like this done so what are people's recommendations on where? Am guessing Audi will be most expensive? I'm thinking dark tint on rear side windows and light on the front side.. Think they'd do this no prob?

I'd like this done so what are people's recommendations on where? Am guessing Audi will be most expensive? I'm thinking dark tint on rear side windows and light on the front side.. Think they'd do this no prob?

Audi only tint at factory as far as I'm aware, I assume if you break a window you have to order one tinted from them????

If you hunt about you can get hatch & rear windows done on 3 door for £100 cash (solar UV tints), so it's cheap enough that if you don't like it you can reverse it.

look in my sig, car doesnt look too dark or like a van IMO!
i have been told by other members here at meets its almost murder but its actually medium tints on rear and light tints on front

Tinting front windows is illegal so therefore invalidates your insurance - think about it if you pull out on a biker or car. I had my x3 fronts done but instantly realised it was a mistake so pulled it off , left the rear done 35%.

i would like mine like this any one guess %?
not sure if i should do the fronts as well ( i think i would need lighter tho)
IMG_0898ii.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Tinting front windows is illegal so therefore invalidates your insurance - think about it if you pull out on a biker or car. I had my x3 fronts done but instantly realised it was a mistake so pulled it off , left the rear done 35%.

Think that's slightly incorrect.

You cannot tint the front windscreen. The passenger and driver door you can tint to a certain %. I think the legal limit is about 25% (75% light let through). there is no limit on the rears.

Some police cars drive about with light meters to check windows, if it's above the Legal limit they won't let you drive off until you remove them.

Front windows have to let 70% light through, most modern cars are manufactured with glass already at this level so any tint on top will technically make it illegal

As long as you can be seen in the drivers seat pretty clearly your unlikely to get pulled

Last edited:
I wouldn't go darker than 35%, depends on the interior as black interior will make it look dark.

I am keen to do tinting (rear windows only) on mine A3 but put off by the insurance. Spoke to insurance (direct-line), and according to them it is a modification to the car either you go for higher premium otherwise your policy will be automatically void.

Lastly they said:

If the tint is to the manufacturers standard specification and the work was carried out by the manufacturer we have no problem.

Yesterday spoke to Audi Wolverhampton they said we do not do any tinting nor recommend doing it.

What to do? Any suggestions or advise???

I am keen to do tinting (rear windows only) on mine A3 but put off by the insurance. Spoke to insurance (direct-line), and according to them it is a modification to the car either you go for higher premium otherwise your policy will be automatically void.

Lastly they said:

If the tint is to the manufacturers standard specification and the work was carried out by the manufacturer we have no problem.

Yesterday spoke to Audi Wolverhampton they said we do not do any tinting nor recommend doing it.

What to do? Any suggestions or advise???

I've never told my insurance company about tints, for 2 reasons, if the insurance adjuster had a look at the car he would not be able to tell if they were a factory option or not and my car looks standard otherwise so they would not be suspicious...obviously if you car looks like its out of fast & furious that's a different story...

Also, if I had to make a claim after an accident I could always as a last resort rip the tints out quickly

have a look for black edition cars at scrappies. i know of a couple people here that have bought the black edition rear windows and just had them fitted.

i have had tints on all my cars and not really had a problem with them at all... only been asked to take the front window tint off once but that was because i was driving through a bad area while the police were pulling over any old car to do random checks on it

I've never told my insurance company about tints, for 2 reasons, if the insurance adjuster had a look at the car he would not be able to tell if they were a factory option or not and my car looks standard otherwise so they would not be suspicious...obviously if you car looks like its out of fast & furious that's a different story...

Also, if I had to make a claim after an accident I could always as a last resort rip the tints out quickly

Hmmm... again, there is a chance of insurance policy going void if something major happens and they find the modifications and the person involved in an accident not in condition to rip the tints out quickly.

have a look for black edition cars at scrappies. i know of a couple people here that have bought the black edition rear windows and just had them fitted.

i have had tints on all my cars and not really had a problem with them at all... only been asked to take the front window tint off once but that was because i was driving through a bad area while the police were pulling over any old car to do random checks on it

Cheers, Hope not too difficult to find the rear ones for Audi a3 2008. I think that will be classified as manufacturer standards. Hopefully fitting by manufactures does not make much difference??

Any idea how much and from where? PM if possible.

yes the black edition privacy glass are actually blackened out glass not tints, so there is nothing that you can peel off... its just how the glass is made so totally OEM.
the way i see it with insurance companies is if the extra equipment that i have fitted is OEM parts then how do they determine if it is a mod or not? all they have to go on is brand names and different coloured parts (suspension springs, brakes)
if i fitted 19" speedlines on the car i wouldnt declare it as its an Audi alloy so its not in my eyes a mod, its simply oem equipment that they should cover.
in the end its just a way for those scamming ******** to get more money off us!

Reactions: A3-8PA
yes the black edition privacy glass are actually blackened out glass not tints, so there is nothing that you can peel off... its just how the glass is made so totally OEM.
the way i see it with insurance companies is if the extra equipment that i have fitted is OEM parts then how do they determine if it is a mod or not? all they have to go on is brand names and different coloured parts (suspension springs, brakes)
if i fitted 19" speedlines on the car i wouldnt declare it as its an Audi alloy so its not in my eyes a mod, its simply oem equipment that they should cover.
in the end its just a way for those scamming ******** to get more money off us!

Cheers Ash, Makes sense. any approx cost estimate???

Just a point worth mentioning and clearing up a few inconsistencies on this thread. Tinting the front passenger side/drivers side windows, and obviously the front windscreen is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL REGARDLESS OF ANY SORT OF %. Some cars come with a factory tint on these, but they are normally just a greenish/blue tinge rather than a grey/black tint. Traffic police cars carry a light measuring device which allows them to determine how much your tint allows natural light filter through, if it fails the roadside test, they have a number of options available to them in regards tohow they deal with the matter, from removing it there and then, to reporting you for summons!