Two modifications not working! (Cruise and coming home lights)

PhilPD

Reaction score
Evening all

I'm not having much luck. Firstly I have fitted cruise control to my 2004 3.2 with steering controller 1K0 953 549 A. I have coded the steering controller and the engine ecu, and run the additional wire to the blue plug under the dash, yet it doesn't work. I have read in a couple of sources that on my controller the 'set' button is not recognised, and instead you set the cruise speed by pulling the lever towards you and pressing down. I have tried pushing/pulling etc and it just won't work. In the measuring blocks of the steering controller I can see that it is recognising on/off/resume/accelerate/decelerate but no sign of any 'set'. Now, I'm wondering if the stalk is wrong. Does anyone know if there are variations? Given that my steering controller part number starts 1k0, I'm wondering if the MK5 golf cruise stalk (which is integrated into the same stalk as the indicators, similar to the mk1 A3/mk4 golf) may work? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Secondly, I tried activating the coming/leaving home function. I don't have the light sensor, so I ran the repair wire as per this guide: cominghomelights - Audi Retrofit

Sometimes (rarely) the lights come on when I unlock the car - usually if I have recently left it (almost as though the ecu's are still 'awake')? But the rest of the time, they don't work.

They have never stayed on when I've left the car.

Am I being thick? There is a fault code stored along the lines of "light sensor open or short to ground", but I sort of expected a fault code of sorts. Once again, any thoughts would be great.

Don't think it will be the stalk. You pull it towards you to switch on, then let go, then push down to activate. You aren't pulling towards you and pushing down at the same time by any chance are you ?

Only other thing might be that one of the pins may have bent as you were installing the stalk. Worth a check.

If the steering module and engine module accepted the coding and you can see it operating in measuring blocks then it would appear to be ok. The A3 stalk is integrated into the indicator stalk when fitted so not sure what you mean with that comment !

Sorry - no idea about the ch/lh lighting.

no idea on the cruise sorry but for the ch/lh lights is it a good earth if not it prob won't work properly , I'm going to be doing this soon all the coding is done just need to get the repair wire for it

The Cruise Stalk is fine, the problem could be, in my opinion, one of two things. Either the wire from PIN13 of the black plug to PIN4 of the blue plug isnt a secure connection or your clutch switch has gone.

Have a look on VCDS in Engine module at the Compenent field and ouf there is a 'G' in the final character of the second to last segment then this means the Cruise Control coding has been accepted by the Engine, which means the wire has a secure connection.. Which means its the clutch switch.

As for the CH/LH lights, you need a new CE module as the one you have installed wont accept that retrofit fully, I have done the same retrofit in my 2004 A3 and it performs in exacty the same way.

Don't think it will be the stalk. You pull it towards you to switch on, then let go, then push down to activate. You aren't pulling towards you and pushing down at the same time by any chance are you ?

Only other thing might be that one of the pins may have bent as you were installing the stalk. Worth a check.

If the steering module and engine module accepted the coding and you can see it operating in measuring blocks then it would appear to be ok. The A3 stalk is integrated into the indicator stalk when fitted so not sure what you mean with that comment !

Sorry - no idea about the ch/lh lighting.

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to use the stalk as you describe but no joy. I will double check the pins if I don't get anywhere without stripping it!

Re the stalk integration, I didn't describe it very well. On the A3 the stalk is integrated in that it is all part of the same unit and must be changed with the indicator stalk. On the Mk5 golf there is just one stalk which operates the indicators etc, but also has a rocker switch on the end for the cruise control.

no idea on the cruise sorry but for the ch/lh lights is it a good earth if not it prob won't work properly , I'm going to be doing this soon all the coding is done just need to get the repair wire for it
Hello. Thanks for the reply - I double checked the earth and checked the repair wire for continuity, so I'm confident it's not that. Good luck with yours, I hope you have better luck!

The Cruise Stalk is fine, the problem could be, in my opinion, one of two things. Either the wire from PIN13 of the black plug to PIN4 of the blue plug isnt a secure connection or your clutch switch has gone.

Have a look on VCDS in Engine module at the Compenent field and ouf there is a 'G' in the final character of the second to last segment then this means the Cruise Control coding has been accepted by the Engine, which means the wire has a secure connection.. Which means its the clutch switch.

As for the CH/LH lights, you need a new CE module as the one you have installed wont accept that retrofit fully, I have done the same retrofit in my 2004 A3 and it performs in exacty the same way.
Thanks for the reply... it's nice to know I'm not alonewith the ch/lh lights. I think I'll just bin that idea for now... unless I see a cheap knocking about!

Re the cruise control - That's interesting... The G has appeared (I tried thedeactivating the cruise and then reactivating and the G vanished and reappearedrespectively). So, if the additional wire run from the cruise stalk to the blueplug was not installed correctly, this 'G' would not appear?

Would the clutch switch chuck up any errors? Does it have a purpose other thanto cancel cruise control?

Thanks again

My understanding is that the wire being ran from PIN13 of the Steering ECU to PIN4 is the communication between the main Engine ECU and the Steering ECU. I would have thought that coding in the 11463 without that wire in place the 'G' wouldn't appear as the coding would be refused... though on the other hand the coding could be accepted without any problem and when the process for that coding is executed it then returns a fault, which is saved in the ECU log.

The latter seems silly as coming from a programming background it would be simple to incorporate a method whereby if a certain function is coded, the prerequisites for that function are looked up to see if they exist, and if not the coding is denied.

The simple way to test this would be to code in Cruise Control onto a vehicle without the wire and see if the 'G' pops up. I've actually got some work on a '04 A3 this Saturday which wont have the wire so I'll perform the coding then and let you know of my findings.

There are unfortunately no faults codes for the clutch switch. You can test whether it is the clutch switch at fault without costing you a penny... Locate the clutch switch and you'll see a plug with two wires going into it, using some wire, bridge these two wires together to bypass the clutch switch. If the Cruise Control now works you know it is the Clutch switch and you can order yourself a new one, they cost around £14 from Audi iirc.