Audi S3 2008 Built (8P). Retrofitted Cruise Control. NEW ECU or no ECU?

moley147

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

First time owner of a 2nd hand Audi S3 (8P). Please excuse my newbie ways.

I have just bought an Audi S3 built in April 2008 and I want to stick cruise control on it. I got a price for fitting Cruise Control for £237 fitted including VAT. This is from Hadwins Audi in the Lake District. This includes a new 2 stalk arm and some plastic trim to replace the single stalk plastic cover...............but the engineer said that I might need an new ECU that costs £167. He said that there was no way of telling if I needed the new ECU until it was programmed. If it wont program then I would need to buy the ECU. And that would be after fitting the cruise control so I'd be locked in to buying the new ECU.

I have noticed 3rd party cruise control fitters (using Audi OEM parts) seem to suggest that if I have the Multifunction display that an new ECU wouldn't be needed.

I dont want to fit Cruise control for £237 and then find out its costing me over £400.

So can anyone help me out and tell me if I need a new ECU.

Has anyone had Cruise Control retrofitted to an Audi S3 (8P)?

Thanks for your help

Quickest way to verify is to get someone near you to do a VCDS scan and that will tell you the part number of your fitted controller ECU...

Also, that is a little steep for the kit even without the ECU...

Hi mate, where you based? If you are near London, then look at my signiture, I can fit for you.
Does your car have the trip computer, ie, shows MPG etc? There should be a trip button under your wiper stalk and an up and down function at the end of it? If so, no need for a new module mate. And if you have a MFSW ( multi function steering wheel) you definately do not need a new module!

By the way fella, welcome to forum, we have a great bunch of people here.

Cheers

Danny

Depending on where you are in the country mate, there are a few people who could fit and code the CC for you. For instance, I am way up in Northumberland, there are a few people a little further down in the Northe east, and then there are others scattered about, like Danny and Nige (username NHN on here). Bottom line is; you can get it done by someone on here cheaper than what you've been quoted.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
As Gary said mate, use someone trusted on here, I am sure there will be someone on here for whatever area you live mate.

Jb0o is the closest to you fella, just a nip eastward, he's a top bloke, get you sorted, I've sent him a PM for you & if nobody else is close enough or going past, I sometimes go north for jobs so could look at for you, but JB is closer.

Last edited:
Yep was gonna say jb0o, just re-read your OP. I can second for Jonny, top man, knows his stuff, as does the man above, Nige aka NHN :)
Between them, I don't think there is anything these two guys don't know about retrofits!

Yep, i highly recommend Jb0o, he did mine cruise install one spring day this year and what day it was, lol... top bloke.

I tried to reply late last night (around 1am) but I haven't acquired 15 posts yet so it wont allow me to PM anyone.

So sorry to s3kel, Wesley and jb0o for not replying.

My S3 comes with a multi function steering wheel will volume up/down and some voice activated phone button thing on the right and up and down channel etc, etc on the left hand side.

The trip computer has Actual mpg, average MPG, Miles left in tank, Time travelled etc, etc for trip 1 and trip 2 plus Oil temp, Vin Number, Oil Change and Oil Service and Major Service dates along with some lap time thingymajig.

So I think its up to spec on the MFSW and Trip Computer side of things.

S3h.jpg

Great News. I would've have paid the £237 for Lakeland Audi to do it but now I feel that maybe they haven't done many Cruise Retrofits so maybe another fitter would do a better job.

I have a few other newbie questions about my Audi so I'll write a few more posts and build up my number of post so that I can then contact people about fitting. Wesley is probably the easiest as I go down to Manchester every few weeks to visit my parents but a blast over to the east is tempting too.

Cheers jb0o

A mate who's a mechanic with access to a VAGCOM said he'd install and enable it if I buy the parts.

Wheres the best (i.e cheapest) place to buy a new OEM Audi twin stalk and plastic cover and how much should it cost.

Has anyone got all the part numbers for a 2008 8P S3 etc, etc.

Also does anyone know what the codes are to enable the cruise control. He's got experience of VAGCOM and is a very capable mechanic so I dont think it will be a problem for him.

Cheers

Assuming your S3 is a pre-facelift the part numbers are:

8P0 054 690 - A3 Cruise Stalk Kit - £62.29 inc VAT
8P0 953 512 A 6PS - A3 Cruise Cowling (Black) - £28.68 inc VAT

Coding the Engine ECU:
[Select]
[01-Engine]
[Login-11]
Enter 11463 to activate Cruise Control
[Do It!]

Coding the Steering ECU
[Select]
[16-Steering Wheel]
[Coding]
Change the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to last digit to 4 (Board Computer w/ Cruise Control) or 3 (Cruise Control w/o Board Computer)
[Do It!]

Last edited:
Reactions: disk0
hi everyone. newbie here..

I'm also after cruise control. I'm in Worcestershire. I've got an 09 plate S3 with multi functional square bottom steering wheel and all the computer bits like MPG and all that.

could someone quote me happy?

cheers!

Mike

Assuming your S3 is a pre-facelift the part numbers are:

8P0 054 690 - A3 Cruise Stalk Kit - £62.29 inc VAT
8P0 953 512 A 6PS - A3 Cruise Cowling (Black) - £28.68 inc VAT

Just ordered them from Lakeland Audi. Spot on with the pricing too.

Cheers

Ian

Who's closest to me as i will be looking to retrofit cruise control some time after christmas when money permits? Oh and could you PM me some prices? Cheers

Hi,

I hope somebody could clear up / help me with my 60 plate S3 (Black Edition)?
Ive retro fitted Cruise control, bought a module (Just incase) which wasnt needed as my car has the same Unit fitted.
I was going to book my car in for its first service with Audi and have the Cruise control programmed at the same time.
I emailed Audi (Derby) about the service and programming the Cruise control to which i got this reply....

DearMr Goode

Thank you for contacting us regarding the service on your S3, REG, ***60***

In regards to the service the cost would be £295.20 including parts labour andVAT. This includes oil, oil filter change, pollen
filter change and full inspection of the car.

With regards to the cruise control it is not something we can do. Having spokento the service manager it is not actually possible to
code the system even though it is the right module. This is a matter of that itis not technically possible to do rather than we are
unwilling.

If you have any more questions or would like to book in, please do not hesitateto contact me and we can arrange something.

Kind Regards

Alex McCarney

Is this correct?????

Hi,

I hope somebody could clear up / help me with my 60 plate S3 (Black Edition)?
Ive retro fitted Cruise control, bought a module (Just incase) which wasnt needed as my car has the same Unit fitted.
I was going to book my car in for its first service with Audi and have the Cruise control programmed at the same time.
I emailed Audi (Derby) about the service and programming the Cruise control to which i got this reply....

DearMr Goode

Thank you for contacting us regarding the service on your S3, REG, ***60***

In regards to the service the cost would be £295.20 including parts labour andVAT. This includes oil, oil filter change, pollen
filter change and full inspection of the car.

With regards to the cruise control it is not something we can do. Having spokento the service manager it is not actually possible to
code the system even though it is the right module. This is a matter of that itis not technically possible to do rather than we are
unwilling.

If you have any more questions or would like to book in, please do not hesitateto contact me and we can arrange something.

Kind Regards

Alex McCarney

Is this correct?????

Utter twaddle mate. It most definitely is possible to code it in. They just don't know what they are doing. Whereabouts in the country are you? There is a myriad of guys on here with the tools and the exceptional knowledge to do this for you at a fraction of what you would pay the dealer (if they knew what they were doing)
NHN
jb0o
Danny
s3kel
Wesley
B5NUT

to name a few (sorry if I have left anyone off that list, they were just from memory)

Post up where a bouts you are and one of them will respond and sort it for you.

Utter twaddle mate. It most definitely is possible to code it in. They just don't know what they are doing. Whereabouts in the country are you? There is a myriad of guys on here with the tools and the exceptional knowledge to do this for you at a fraction of what you would pay the dealer (if they knew what they were doing)
NHN
jb0o
Danny
s3kel
Wesley
B5NUT

to name a few (sorry if I have left anyone off that list, they were just from memory)

Post up where a bouts you are and one of them will respond and sort it for you.

Hi!

Thanks for your swift reply!
Im between Derby and Nottingham.

I may have a job up your way soon if interested.

Cheers for your help! What do i do now? :)

Last edited:
Just wait for Nigel to arrange something with you, or to point someone else in your direction if he can't get to you. I'd do it for you but you're a bit of a hike away lol

Just wait for Nigel to arrange something with you, or to point someone else in your direction if he can't get to you. I'd do it for you but you're a bit of a hike away lol

Ok, thanks again Gaz :D

In the end i bought the VAG-COM HEX-USB+CAN package and did it myself!
Works a treat, just had to adjust the code in the streering options and everything works spot on on! :)

Hi guys I'm new to the forums having just purchased my first Audi an Audi a6 1.9 tdi auto ive been looking online to try and find some info on fitting cruise control and trip computer online found it was possible then found this thread, i live in grimsby lincolnshire if any one in the area or anh were Near by as I don't mind travelling could do the work got me could quote me a price for both jobs or either or I would appreciate it

Cheers bazz

I'm up your way soon mate, so could look at it for you, I'll PM.

Hi all,
I'm picking up my A3 on Tuesday night (can't wait!).

Would anyone be able to fit cruise control please?
A3 2.0 TDI Sport (2005).
It had a trip computer but not a multifunction wheel.

I live in Hertford (work from home some days) but also work in Gerrards Cross, Bucks (if that is more convenient).

Thanks!!

Dannykn9 is your man, he's not far from you, excellent cruise fitter. Look further up this thread for his info.

Hi all,
I'm picking up my A3 on Tuesday night (can't wait!).

Would anyone be able to fit cruise control please?
A3 2.0 TDI Sport (2005).
It had a trip computer but not a multifunction wheel.

I live in Hertford (work from home some days) but also work in Gerrards Cross, Bucks (if that is more convenient).

Thanks!!

Hi mate, I replied to your email.

Many thanks Mike, will see you soon fella.

Big thanks to Dannykn9 for fitting my cruise control tonight!

Good job and a damn good price!
And a really nice guy to boot!

Hi, im also new to the site. I have recently bought a 3 door Audi A3 58 plate. It is the standard model and doesnt come with the trip computer. Since buying it i have looked into getting it fitted and no garage, including Audi believe it is possible. I have read on a lot of forums thats it is possible with the correct equipment, which i dont own. Would anyone be able to help me with this? Thank you.