2.0 tdi (bkd) chocolate turbos

afcjay

Reaction score
Ive been lucky so far with my turbo but have read so many storys about the 2.0tdi turbos that seem to be made of chocolate they way they are giving up on so many cars

my question is why dont Audi reconise they have a major problem with the bkd 2.0 tdi turbos as with the injector looms on the 170s and replace them free of charge of offer a massive discount on parts and labour?

Has anyone been onto Audi about these turbos and if so what was their response?

I hear where your coming from, but Audi won't do it because they would take a massive loss to replace them all, and even the ones that are ok at the moment
I am for it though, Audi should do it, but they won't ha

Have you remapped your motor, i remapped my first A3 and the turbo went bang, my current SB is a standard 140 and (touch wood) its still going strong.

what about the DPF issues? I like to see what Audi say about that? my dpf warning light came on a couple of days ago and now gone but its just a matter of time when it comes back on and then will need replacing!

I split a BKD turbo in half once never seen anything like it before, on a Golf 2.0l TDI

P.s. I was remapped - REVO

Lol there you go then, you can't remap it and then expect it to last the same amount of life, massive respect for managing to split in half though haha. :salute:

i know it would cost them a fortune but as with the injector looms that are being replaced free of charge on the 170s as audi have realised its a major design fault.

surely the same can be said for the chocolate turbos?

Have you remapped your motor, i remapped my first A3 and the turbo went bang, my current SB is a standard 140 and (touch wood) its still going strong.

as i say mines fine touch wood and has not been remapped but it seems everyone with a bkd has to replace the turbo at so time or other with some going with as little as 50k on the clock.surely this isnt right and is a major design fault?

what about the DPF issues? I like to see what Audi say about that? my dpf warning light came on a couple of days ago and now gone but its just a matter of time when it comes back on and then will need replacing!

i made sure when i bought my 8p it was a dpf free model as id read about so many problems with them blocking up to be honest so i wont have that problem thank god

it sounds as if unless you do alot of motorway miles its best to steer clear of dpf models

by the way,did Audi just come out and hold their hands up over the 170 injector looms or was the pressure put on them by a motoring organisation and demand/suggest audi replace them free of charge?

Turbo and DPF problems just seem to be par for the course now and accepted by most these days. My last car was a 56 plate 320d and the Mitsubishi turbos on them were terrible. It seemed like 1 went a day on the e90 forum, they couldn't be reconditioned because there were no available spare parts and the cost to replace was cray. At least with Audi the parts to repair can actually be bought and the repair costs less than £4k.

If the service of your car has been upheld with a main dealer then it should be that an appeal for a goodwill gesture can be submitted and I have indeed used this myself in the past. Unfortunately manufacturers will do all they can not to pay for parts if they don't have to. I doubt very much that you would be any better or worse with any other manufacturer.

My BKD turbo went a week after buying the car from a garage so i got it replaced for free through warranty. If you are worried about it just get yourself a warranty through warranty direct or something. I have a policy that covers all wear and tear items pretty much for peace of mind.

P.s. the car was on 57k when it happened.

My BKD turbo went a week after buying the car from a garage so i got it replaced for free through warranty. If you are worried about it just get yourself a warranty through warranty direct or something. I have a policy that covers all wear and tear items pretty much for peace of mind.

Me also, who are you with?

How much do you pay for the warranty ? and would your turbo still be covered if you've had it remapped?

How much do you pay for the warranty ? and would your turbo still be covered if you've had it remapped?

I'd be interested too seeing as my turbo's going to go pop any day now!

£312 for the year, no idea about it being remapped, mine isn't.. To be honest i don't think they'd know anyway as your take the car to a garage of your choice.

I know what your saying about getting a warrenty for piece of mind but should these turbos really be giving up at such low miles.I mean 57k the cars not even run in!?

The days of diesels doing 200K miles without a hitch are long gone. I'm afraid the advancement of technology and requirements of high efficiency and low emissions have made our cars less reliable. 56k for a turbo is low but not shockingly low.

Anyone that is arranging a warranty please make sure that the turbo is covered. Most of these companies will NOT cover the turbo in their standard policy.

Last edited:
Anyone that is arranging a warranty please make sure that the turbo is covered. Most of these companies will not cover the turbo in their standard policy as it's such a common thing to go.

Already done

[h=3]No hidden extras[/h]'Unlike other warranties we make no extra charge for the high risk parts that often go wrong like air conditioning, anti lock braking, turbo charger and four wheel drive.'

I know what your saying about getting a warrenty for piece of mind but should these turbos really be giving up at such low miles.I mean 57k the cars not even run in!?

Don't buy into 'it's an Audi it's not run in until 100K' that's rubbish mate, facts are these cars aren't the most reliable on the road, they have just been marketed in a certain way to make you think they are bomb proof and bullet proof, there are some cars which will have been problematic from day one and others not, with us all using this forum you'll always here about problems, you won't hear about all the thousands which have ran trouble free motoring for years, all I'm saying is, things go wrong, they more technical and complicated cars get the more costly they are to put right, but because people use forums to get help with issues with their cars you here about it more.

Already done

No hidden extras

'Unlike other warranties we make no extra charge for the high risk parts that often go wrong like air conditioning, anti lock braking, turbo charger and four wheel drive.'

Who are you with?

i wouldnt say the bkd was that advanced in the diesel world and the turbo is basic (nothing we havent seen before)

i wouldnt say the bkd was that advanced in the diesel world and the turbo is basic (nothing we havent seen before)

We have all seen and heard of turbo's before but the way they work is advanced.

warranty on my car is going to cost almost as much as the damn parts... most companies wont give me warranty because of high mileage :(

We have all seen and heard of turbo's before but the way they work is advanced.

Im not having a pop at you but if that is the case surely it is a design fault with the engine/turbo that Audi should be looking at in that case?

Surely car companys dont just design/make a engine without testing on a large scale before putting it on the car market?

At the end of the day its the vag group that are putting their name on the line soit would be in their best intrested wouldnt it?

Im not having a pop at you but if that is the case surely it is a design fault with the engine/turbo that Audi should be looking at in that case?

Surely car companys dont just design/make a engine without testing on a large scale before putting it on the car market?

At the end of the day its the vag group that are putting their name on the line soit would be in their best intrested wouldnt it?

Audi don't make the turbo's i think it's Garrett.

I think you are missing the point a little. The problem isn't a design fault with VAG cars in particular but rather modern Turbo diesels from ALL manufacturers. My dad had a Vauxhall astra TDI that needed a new turbo at 47K miles. I work with a guy that has a mondeo on it's second turbo at 100k, it recently required injectors and is starting to grumble for a new clutch. I've also heard of loads of current shape BMWs blowing turbos at between 60k to 90k.

I'm not saying it's acceptable for this to happen. It's just that you seem to think that it's a problem with VAG cars and the BKD version in particular when in reality it's a problem across the board with all manufacturers.

but whoever makes them is irrelevent if Audi choose to use them on their engines and as i say the engine turbo must be tested on a large scale before putting the car into production

Audi wouldnt just design a engine a throw a turbo on it hoping it wount self destruct after a few thousand miles would they?

Mate i totally understand what you're saying. Other turbo's on other types of engines within the VAG range are more reliable. No idea why they use them, but they do, maybe something to do with they are tied into a long term contract with the turbo maker to make and supply for Audi so they know they can also make the 2.0L TDI cars? The turbo's on the 170s are a different type again and they don't seem to go pop as much as the ones on the 140.

I think you are missing the point a little. The problem isn't a design fault with VAG cars in particular but rather modern Turbo diesels from ALL manufacturers. My dad had a Vauxhall astra TDI that needed a new turbo at 47K miles. I work with a guy that has a mondeo on it's second turbo at 100k, it recently required injectors and is starting to grumble for a new clutch. I've also heard of loads of current shape BMWs blowing turbos at between 60k to 90k.

I'm not saying it's acceptable for this to happen. It's just that you seem to think that it's a problem with VAG cars and the BKD version in particular when in reality it's a problem across the board with all manufacturers.

I'm not missing the point, i understand they go wrong, the more complex and the more boost running through a diesel turbo the faster the turbine spins and they more its stressed which leads to failures.

I've had an Astra SRI 150, remapped too. Never had a problem however my mates SRI running the same map popped the turbo!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are literally millions of BKD engines the world over in Audis.Golfs, Skodas and Seats. There will be a large proportion of those that do not have turbo problems because not everyone drives hard all the time. A recon turbo costs £400 plus fitting and I also had one replaced with Warranty Direct. The bill was £750 and I paid £200 because the car had done 75k and I had to contribute to the parts, oil etc. etc.

Audi would argue that there is not a problem with the turbo, unlike the injectors and wiring loom on the 170's.

That engine is now discontinued in favour of a more efficient common rail engine with even less emissions we have yet to see what the inherent problems may be with that !!

Yup Garrett make the turbos. The reason VOSA got involved with the injector/injector loom issues was because it was potentially lethal (I.E. Engine just stops and you lose brakes/steering etc.).
As long as the cars make it past warranty i doubt the manufacturers will bother about issuing a recall.

There are literally millions of BKD engines the world over in Audis.Golfs, Skodas and Seats. There will be a large proportion of those that do not have turbo problems because not everyone drives hard all the time. A recon turbo costs £400 plus fitting and I also had one replaced with Warranty Direct. The bill was £750 and I paid £200 because the car had done 75k and I had to contribute to the parts, oil etc. etc.

Audi would argue that there is not a problem with the turbo, unlike the injectors and wiring loom on the 170's.

That engine is now discontinued in favour of a more efficient common rail engine with even less emissions we have yet to see what the inherent problems may be with that !!

What he said ^^^

Mate i totally understand what you're saying. Other turbo's on other types of engines within the VAG range are more reliable. No idea why they use them, but they do, maybe something to do with they are tied into a long term contract with the turbo maker to make and supply for Audi so they know they can also make the 2.0L TDI cars? The turbo's on the 170s are a different type again and they don't seem to go pop as much as the ones on the 140.

Like you say,ive never known to have heard of some many problems with turbos on vag cars in the past.

Ive had quite a few myself in the past and have never known anything like the bkd turbo even when remapped they were still strong.With the amount of bkd turbos giving up,i wouldnt dream of remapping mine and if i did i would be upgrading the turbo at the same time

Like you say,ive never known to have heard of some many problems with turbos on vag cars in the past.

Ive had quite a few myself in the past and have never known anything like the bkd turbo even when remapped they were still strong.With the amount of bkd turbos giving up,i wouldnt dream of remapping mine and if i did i would be upgrading the turbo at the same time

That's why i haven't remapped this one mate.

You watch now, when i get my car scanned tonight by Mike, i'll get a boost or turbo fault haha.

I'm not missing the point, i understand they go wrong, the more complex and the more boost running through a diesel turbo the faster the turbine spins and they more its stressed which leads to failures.

I've had an Astra SRI 150, remapped too. Never had a problem however my mates SRI running the same map popped the turbo!

I didn't mean you, I meant the OP, you were just quicker to reply to the previous post than me :)