08 S3 Rattle between 2700 and 3000 RPM

BaDD Boi S3

Audi S3-REVO-Digital Designs
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone experienced this rattle on their 2.0 TFSi motors and what the possible causes could be?

Basically when you accelerate slowly through the rev range at the above mentioned engine RPM there is a rattle but as soon as the car boosts its gone?

It would do this in any gear as long as the accelaration is steady, if you plant it you do not notice the noise but it might just be drowned out but the performance exhaust? Best way to explain the sound is if you think of a Diesel motor sound whilst between the mentioned RPM, if you play with the accelerator in this range the sound is there when you push down and gone as soon as you release the pedal.

I have read that VW owners have a noise between the revs mentioned and some Audi owners also experienced this noise and tat VW released a TSB stating that its the wastegate and that a weight needs to be attached to resolve the issue.

Would you say that the noises are the same and that I would need to get my wastegate looked at or am I experiencing something else?

link to the TSB = http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5107473-FYI-Technical-Bulletin-on-all-2.0T-engines-from-2008-to-2010

Thank you in advance

Hi Guys,

to add to crunchie's question would this sound develop over time or would this be there from the get go?

My car was supper quiet and now started this after it went for the 70k km service?

Thank you in advance!

Thought this problem was 8P3 only??

Not sure TBH, was led to believe it was '08 cars that this issue started with, but unsure of whether 8P3 in manufacture at what point in the year, or whether it was in response to a change of spec to 8P3. The main dealer should be able to tell from the VIN bumber whether this TSB affects this car.
As much as I'd love to confine it to a particular range of cars, with various production lines and parts sourcing for different models you can never quite tell (at the consumer end) what gets put in what and when. This car is in South Africa and they were still making Mk1 Golf's up until about 2 years ago, so whilst I'd hope a 8P2 spec is the same in the UK as it is anywhere else I'm genuinely not sure for international production consignments!