DSG - Not Quite Perfect

Daft Old Sod

Reaction score
My 2007 3.2 is fitted with a DSG box & I thought it was a marriage made in Heaven, Auto on my motorway runs & boring day to day stuff, Manual at most other times, & Sport (or is 'S' for smile?) when I fancy having a play. Found a huge short coming today though. Heavy rain meant plenty of deep standing water across the local Dartmoor roads, weather was foul so stuck the box in auto for a steady trundle in to the gym. Sadly the box didn't have a clue how to cope with the speeding up & slowing down caused by large puddles in the road, this led to it constantly hunting gears, was like driving a bucking bronco. Anyone else experienced this? Problem solved by knocking the box in to manual. Been a bit of a DSG bore amongst my mates but now willing to admit it ain't quite perfect!

I am not too sure what you mean, if you see or hit a large puddle, you would take foot off the accelerator till you are out of the water, so why would it be hunting gears and driving like a bucking bronco?

I have driven through some big puddles etc, and never noticed any short falls with my DSG

Sounds more like the ESP messing things up not the box. If you hit puddle fast enough to trip the ESP then you cant blame the box for trying to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Mine behaves very well in auto (D), wet or dry, never experienced anything like that.

I would do a recalibration with vcds, can work wonders tbh, resets everything, did mine today, it helped, also have you had a dsg oil service, if not then get it done, that alone can make a vast difference.