Tomtom 3 on a PDA

shresh

Reaction score
Website
none
Hi all,

I know there have already been a cpl of discussions this.

But now that I'm looking at this for myself, I want to check out how everyone's getting on with their systems.

My main question is wired or bluetooth GPS receiver? Whatever I go for will be hardwired as much as poss - I'm just looking at what works best signalwise.

Also, I want to have Anand's soon to be released 'choose your gauge' software on the PDA as well. If this was through a bluetooth connection, could I have a GPS bluetooth and phone bluetooth system running simultaneously?

cheers in advance

Hi shreash

I have an iPAQ 2210 and a Globalsat 318 Bluetooth GPS. The iPAQ is hard-wired using a Brodit mount and the GPS is kept out of sight in the boot and fed by the boot mounted 12v socket that came as part of the luggage pack. I do not have any 'routing' software as yet but I do have Memory-Map's 1:50,000 OS maps for the UK and use them to track my position rather than give me a route. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and the bluetooth connection between the two has worked faultlessly.

As far as the routing software is concerned, TomTom have just shown TomTom 5 at the CeBit exhibition in Germany and it should be available soon. Also other software people have also shown new version of their software including a new version of Destinator called PN (for Personal Navigator) which is also getting very good write-ups.

If your want to know more about these new packages and indeed see reviews of most of the existing packages go to the Pocket GPS World web-site at www.pocketgps.co.uk

I have tomtom 3 installed on my XDA2 using a Tomtom GPS bluetooth reciever and it works perfectly!

Never had any problems with signal....

Go for it, you wont be disappointed!

Remember to get a decent memory card though, I use a Kingston 512 SD and its great!

Hope this helps
Rich.

I went for the ipaq 4700 purely for the 480x640 resolution screen. Tomtom doesnt yet support this resolution or landscape view which is a shame but I have heard this is coming in the new version.

I went for a wired gps this time, unless you wire the bluetooth ones to a power source they're a pain to keep charging.