1.9tdi keeps cutting out!

pandoo1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
got a little problem, just been recently driving my first a3 and when im driving at low speeds (20-30mph) and i'd leave it in 3rd gear the car will just cut out completely, so basically stall!
Why does this happen? It could be potentially dangerous!
Thanks

Please help :( It could be bad! I hope not though.

I havent got a clue what that is, Im totally new to the audi scene :(.
I was going round a corner the other day and the car completely cut out, which meant it was very hard to steer and break!

what revs are you running when it cuts out?
how old is the car?
when was it's last service?

My first thought would be when was the fuel filter last changed...

mate its just cause its 1.9 tdi in a mid range gear doing low revs they arnt great and will cut out its not the car misbehaving its your driving habits its happened to me a few times they need revs thats why a map is on the cards for me very soon

mate its just cause its 1.9 tdi in a mid range gear doing low revs they arnt great and will cut out its not the car misbehaving its your driving habits its happened to me a few times they need revs thats why a map is on the cards for me very soon

I'd be surprised if it was simply that. Modern diesels don't just stall very easily when in the gears. They'll quite happily remain idling in third at least anyway as long as the brakes aren't being applied to force it to slow further, or a steep hill of course. The torque will fight the stall.

My 1.9TDI is and was(b4 remap) strong enough to do that so I would expect most others would too.

Always best to maintain a good rev range when driving though of course. Labouring the engine doesn't help it's life expectancy.

Apparently my car has been remapped (Previous owner did it), it does seem nippy! I'm still confused why the car does that, the car will stall at about 1500rpms in 3rd at about 20-25mph. Only got it fully serviced 3 weeks ago aswell!

Apparently my car has been remapped (Previous owner did it), it does seem nippy! I'm still confused why the car does that, the car will stall at about 1500rpms in 3rd at about 20-25mph. Only got it fully serviced 3 weeks ago aswell!

That doesnt sound right maybe its the map mate???