2.0 TDI now Superchipped.

I

imported_Spin140

Took my car to the S/chips HQ at Buckingham yesterday.

Briefly, as I will be posting a more comp review, car was RR before and after producing 153bhp + 250lbs as standard increasing to 180bhp + 295lbs of torque.
I witnessed the process from start to finish and any fears about removal of the ECU and possible contamination were soon put to rest. I have taken digital pics of the process and also have the dyno plots with a view to posting the results for all those interested.

More importantly the car now feels far more responsive, it drives in a very similar style as before but with more urgency with no loss of refinement, in heavy traffic it feels no different but put your foot down and it has been totally transformed. I had considered my car to be quick prior to the remap but it is now in a different league, very difficult to put into words but simplified you can really feel those extra ponies but only when required.
In 6th gear at 80mph if you floor it the acceleration is nothing short of phenominal, you are pressed back into the seat and really have to be fearful of losing your license.
The remap has changed my car from a good car into a great car, I will be putting a few more miles on her over the next week so will post an update accompanied by the dyno plots.

Oh and for the sceptical ...

Funny thing is Guys not a Corsa or burberry cap in site just the usual 'low class' vehicles that some members of this forum associate with S/Chips, you know BMW 5 series, 2.0T FSI Sportback, VW racings project 'Caddy' and the odd A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Spin140

Congrats mate. Looking forward to detailed write up + pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not sceptical at all, although you were at the headquarters, so maybe they ban the corsa boys from there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

nice one Spin, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

what's the delivery and power band like compared to standard?

I've got mine booked into RSD now, but I am glad to hear you had no chavs to contend with!

Nice one, think i know where I'm going very soon....

Hehe - Spin and I appear to have had our cars mapped at Superchips the same day....

I've not had mine RR'd though - may have something planned in the next couple of weeks but I can vouch for what Spin has said regarding the characteristics of the new map.

I've modified my driving this morning by changing up earlier - and indeed I got improved fuel economy this morning by doing so.I've got to try and save fuel for the times when I put my foot down! That seems to have happened a lot during the last couple of days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Incidentally didn't see any Corsas at the superchips HQ in Scotland - although I did see an Impreza that had been slightly chavved up - does this count??

Hi Spin,

The remap sounds awesome, I'm really insterested in getting mine done. Just wondering what mpg you were getting before and what you're getting now you've got the superchip remap? Is there much difference?

I currently get 48mpg over a full tank, thats with a mixture of driving with the flow of traffic and other times going pretty hard.

6th gear sounds amazing!!!!

Hi Spin,

the remap sounds awesome.... does anyone know what this does to the clutch life? putting all that extra torque may reduce its life?

what does this do to your audi warantee? can you turn it back to standard when you take it to the stealers?

sorry for these boring and far too sensible questions but just thinking about all the options!

thanks all..
yans.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Sounds amazing Spin, well done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Be good to compare the superchips with the Oettinger, anyone.

Japper
I thought the guy Ricky Gauld,just outside of Huntly,was a superchips agent ???
Not often I'm right,but I could be wrong.

Bowfer - there are agents in a few places across Scotland for Superchips but Falkand Performance Centre are the headquarters for all things superchips I believe - they are the ones who authorise the agents?

You know,I'd love to go down the superchips route but it's a company car.I would feel obliged to tell the company about something so 'permanent' and I've a feeling the MD would grumble about warrantees and insurances.

Which is why I still favour the tuning box option.
Neither the dealer nor my MD need know it's there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Japper
I thought the guy Ricky Gauld,just outside of Huntly,was a superchips agent ???
Not often I'm right,but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know bowfer, but cheers for the info. Actually came back through huntly on my way back from Craigendarroch on Sunday. So tempted to stop off and enjoy what's left of the skiing up in the hills.

I had my A3 2.0TDI done by Superchips last week also and it put out 194bhp on the RR.

The before figure was 155bhp and an a totally seperate RR a few months before she put out 153bhp so I have no real reason to doubt Superchips 194bhp.

Totally different car. Traction light flicks on full power in the wet even in 3rd.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the wear on your clutch this should also not be a problem as your car will not be remapped with excessive power/torque as it is S/chips policy to leave in a fair amount of tolerance, contrary to popular belief they have the ability to tweak the map to suit customer requirements. The life of your clutch is also dependant on your driving style/technique but there are many remapped cars out there with mega miles on them and the original clutch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true, but a chap I work with has a Seat Leon Cupra TDI with a REVO remap to 190bhp and 300lb/ft. He complains that the clutch often slips under hard acceleration because there is so much torque. Nothing actually wrong with the factory clutch, but it just can't handle the power. He's currently seeking an upgrade.

"You picked up your car yet matey ?"

Not yet !
Pam at Speccy has spoken to her PDI guy and he's going to see if he can get it done today.
I'm pushing them as my A4 goes away tomorrow.
Got my new digital camera ready to post photos of it on here.
I think I might be the first sportback S-line on here ???

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true, but a chap I work with has a Seat Leon Cupra TDI with a REVO remap to 190bhp and 300lb/ft. He complains that the clutch often slips under hard acceleration because there is so much torque. Nothing actually wrong with the factory clutch, but it just can't handle the power. He's currently seeking an upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same engine in my previous Golf as the Leon, typically the clutch on the 150PD is good for a max of 300lb, I too suffered the occasional clutch slip with my original superchip remap which equated to 196bhp and too much torque, they remapped my car for free, reduced the power output (183) & max torque and the issue was resolved, hence the importance of having the correct map, power isn't everything it's the drive that counts IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is an upgraded clutch available for the 150PD from 'Sachs' which is good for 350lb apparently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same engine in my previous Golf as the Leon, typically the clutch on the 150PD is good for a max of 300lb, I too suffered the occasional clutch slip with my original superchip remap which equated to 196bhp and too much torque, they remapped my car for free, reduced the power output (183) & max torque and the issue was resolved, hence the importance of having the correct map, power isn't everything it's the drive that counts IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Oh and is the uprated clutch from sachs a recent thing?, as for ages the problem was nobody did a better clutch to suit dual mass flywheel, an essential on diesels.