Engine mounts

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been advised that i need to replace all 3 of my engine mounts. now the quote i have been given for all 3 mounts (parts only) is £187.50! is this reasonable or just way too much?

Also this is from an independent garage, not Audi... but the mounts are from Audi direct.

can anyone direct me to a cheaper place for 3 new mounts?

Last edited:
Sorry for not having an answer for you, but could you tell me what symptoms you experienced which led to these having to be replaced?

Engine mounts are pretty pricy mate. OEM ones are about £70-£80 each. And the labour is even more pricy!

I had to change two mounts on my last A3 and audi quoted.......................... £500 parts and labour.
In the end (after a bit of aguing about a related issue) they changed the two mounts and only charged me for the parts. This cost £150.

wow £150 for 2 then the £187.50 for 3 sounds about right...

@Agent_trig... my engine rumbles and judders and i have been told my mounts are worn down badly and need replacing. have been told this by 2 different garages now.

Mine failed and I replaced them with ths mounts, 100 times better, I fitted them myself, easy peasy, just got to be strong to move engine round

@Agent_trig... my engine rumbles and judders and i have been told my mounts are worn down badly and need replacing. have been told this by 2 different garages now.

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if this explains the rumbling sound I've been getting. Although no garage has picked up on the engine mounts yet.

Are they easy to check?

Yep, sounds about right mate. Eurocarparts non OEM mounts would cost you about £130 for three, so £187 for OEM sounds right.

They did realise you car is a diesel, right??? :laugh:

Mine failed and I replaced them with ths mounts, 100 times better, I fitted them myself, easy peasy, just got to be strong to move engine round

i heard that on the diesels i would need oem ones otherwise i would feel the natural rumble from the engine all the time?

If your gonna replace all 3, could do with uprated ones? But maybe not necessary on a road car. VW Racing do them.

I need to replace my gearbox mount also. Will get it done soon.

well i want to get this done this week as i have been putting off mods until i get the car sorted... no point in modding a car that doesnt feel right.
the garage is currently waiting on me to give the go ahead but with different options out there i want to make sure i get the right ones on the car...

just to reiterate, i have a 2.0 TDi and i dont want to try and get 'better and stonger mounts' that just end up making the vibration still go through the engine

well i want to get this done this week as i have been putting off mods until i get the car sorted... no point in modding a car that doesnt feel right.
the garage is currently waiting on me to give the go ahead but with different options out there i want to make sure i get the right ones on the car...

just to reiterate, i have a 2.0 TDi and i dont want to try and get 'better and stonger mounts' that just end up making the vibration still go through the engine

Just go for the audi mounts.
How much are you paying to have them fitted??
Have you tried Russell Automotive in NW London? Supply and fit?
They will be able to quote you in full over the phone.

Get them done soon, i was advised by VW that my corrado at the time could do with a new engine mount. Before i even booked it in the engine mount broke when i came out of a corner, causing the oil filter to rest on the cross member. 3 mile from the garage all the oil came out of it and i had to get the engine rebuilt costing me more money.

Thats a very reasonable price.....uprated ones can cost a lot more,and for OEM,thats not bad at all.

ok well it sounds like its not a bad deal... that being said i just want to double check with anyone that may know... will these mounts work on a 2.0 TDi and not cause more vibration into the cabin?FR3 Complete Engine Mounting System 1.8 TFSI 2.0T FSI/TDI - THSFR3-MK5CMPneed to decide quickly if i am going OEM or THS?
AFAIK there is a kit for the 2L model,but you would be best advised to give THS a call first......you will notice a fair bit more vibration coming through,as these are a lot stiffer than the stock mounts.

ihave heard mixed reviews, some say its better than OEM and some say it will cause more vibration in the cabin... i really dont want any more vibration especially when the car is idle... feels like a really bad massage that gives you a head ache.

for diesels the dogbone mount will cause too much vibration and would recommend OEM mount with powerflex insert. So you'l only need the two top engine mounts.

Ash ......Does it only happen sometimes or is it a thing where it only happens sometimes ? As Mine happens like after a good 1 hour drive sometimes...... I start to feel the vibrations.. coming through the cabin ....:think:

mine happens as soon as the engine is warm... its getting worse now and the garage recommended i get it done asap. i want to do it this week just want to make sure im getting the right stuff.

Thats what my movement is like in the video! Needs sorting asap, so alex would you stick with OEM mounts for a TDI?
Put it this way.....I'd be very wary of getting stiffer mounts on a diesel,and I think the other comments here pretty much bear that out.
Even on a petrol engined car,you would find these things add a lot of very noticeable thrash and vibration....if you don't mind that,or expect it,it won't be a problem,but otherwise it could be very irritating.

mine happens as soon as the engine is warm... its getting worse now and the garage recommended i get it done asap. i want to do it this week just want to make sure im getting the right stuff.

And it's nothing to do with the flywheel ? As I've heard it can cause this....

for diesels the dogbone mount will cause too much vibration and would recommend OEM mount with powerflex insert. So you'l only need the two top engine mounts.

so what is this powerflex insert? i have heard that the powerflex dogbone mounts are not good for vibrations on the TDi's either??
this is so confusing!

And it's nothing to do with the flywheel ? As I've heard it can cause this....

it may well also have something to do with the flywheel, but i always thought if it was a flywheel issue then it would stop/calm down with the clutch being dipped in... that has no effect on my car. only thing i can tell that calms it down is when the AC is on... but as i have been told my mounts are worn i am replacing them anyway...

so what is this powerflex insert? i have heard that the powerflex dogbone mounts are not good for vibrations on the TDi's either??this is so confusing!it may well also have something to do with the flywheel, but i always thought if it was a flywheel issue then it would stop/calm down with the clutch being dipped in... that has no effect on my car. only thing i can tell that calms it down is when the AC is on... but as i have been told my mounts are worn i am replacing them anyway...
The Powerflex insert is just a polyurethane replacement for the nasty rubber OEM item.....stiffer,and lasts much longer,but yes,you will notice a bit more vibration.

I think I have the flywheel issue ...As when my AC is on it goes away ......:(

i dont think powerflex do a mount for the 2.0 TDI
just been looking and nothing comes up for that engine... might just go down the route of 2 new THS top mounts and OEM dogbone for now... its about a £20 part so not breaking the bank.

if anyone knows of a good dogbone mount for a 2.0 TDI i would appreciate it.

I can recommend the ths engine and gearbox mount, but the lower mount shakes the car too much, soo oem bush with powerflex insert ( diesel one) and it fine, well better than oem mounts

ok so i went with the THS top mounts and the OEM dogmount... i didnt get he powerflex insert as i wanted to try it with a fresh new oem first and if i dont like it then i can replace later.
from other comments on the net i heard that the powerflex is still a little stiff and causes vibration which is what really ****** me off... i dont mind the engine itself shaking a little just dont want to feel it in the cabin... i prefer comfort over power and thats the way i would like it to be, comfortable.

its in the garage today getting fitted so i will report later on the outcome.

Nath come n sit in mine I've got ths mounts with lower oem mount with powerflex insert, there's a slight vibration but nothing noticeable really

Jord, if today the bad vibration and judders i have had in the car hasn't calmed down i will go for the powerflex insert and see what its like... i just hope that the issues i am experiencing is down to the mounts.