Later climate control unit in 2004 car?

PhilPD

Reaction score
Hello all

I read somewhere that a late spec (chrome knob) climate control unit would not work in an early (2004) car.

Is this true? I converted my car to double din today for my RNS-E, and thought I would try a late spec single din control unit I had lying about. It appears to be working ok?

Anyone have any information on this? Have I been misinformed, or have I just not noticed something not operating properly? Or perhaps there are different versions of the facelift climate unit?

Would be interested to hear your views,

Thanks.

Can you shed any light on what doesn't work? I have just been out testing it and cannot find any issues?

Interested to hear the answer if anyone has one as this is something I'd like to update in my car.

There are technical differences that will not allow it to function properly, it may give you the impression its working if you dont change the direction of the air via the climate buttons, but once that is changed, it will be fairly obvious.

There are no coding options for the Hvac 08, there is a basic setting option, but that wont fix this issue, as its mechanical & wiring.

Do your research before assuming something will work, I spent ages on this, checked the wiring schematics which as you can imagine are a fair few wires on each version, I even created a spreadsheet to show the differences to myself when I come to swap the heater system over.

There is no way in hell your units are working fully.

Remove the glovebox, check the 2 motors behind this which have blue plastics, the big flap thats controlled via the 2 motors will not move properly as it did on the prefacelift climate.

Sorry but you're wrong, it will not function fully.

Impossible to fully work with a 54 reg car, totally impossible, as I have tested my research on a 54 reg, you IMHO misunderstand how the climate should work & when the AC button should be lit, they didnt change climate/heater system components until mid 07, 08 onwards, so its impossible to function properly in your car, that is a fact, even ELSAWIN advises the changes after I found the issues & did some more reading.

Exactly, it wont be working as per the facelifts do, the led would be working in reverse.

No, definitely not, I have proved this on a 54 reg car myself, I can show anyone the proof if need be.

What happens is, when you initially plug it in, it will appear to work properly, but as soon as you tell it via button presses to move the big flap behind glovebox, it will be stuck after that & wont move back, given the 2nd motor isnt in use on facelifts, hence the plastic orange cam system which N8 will confirm is behind his 08 glovebox.

This is what he said.