jessie 123

jessie123

Reaction score
hi all. new to this. a3 170 s. line tdi quattro dpf knackered due to town drives 07 plate had it 6weeks now. its going to long life next week to remove dpf +remap cost 600 quid is this a good idea or not. my wife wants to get rid no chance.thanks for any replies in advance

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Shame about DPF problems so early. Did you buy the car from a dealer or privately? If it was a dealer, you may be able to have it replaced under warranty. Although, I think the DPF isn't covered, you may be able to argue that it happened so early on since you owned it.

About having it taken off, you need to double check that it won't affect you with the new MOT rules coming out. Other things you need to take into account is if you drive into Europe, because I understand that you won't be allowed in certain cities in Germany because it's been taken off. From a personal point of view, I'd leave it on. I quite liked the fact that no smoke at all came out of the back of mine. But again, that's a personal opinion.

Usually if the DPF light comes on, you can regenerate it by going on a motorway for a few miles. This will clear it up and all will be fine. If it's gone into limp mode (I ignored my DPF light for 3-4 days and this happened), then it's completely blocked and it needs replacing.

Hi

I work for a fleet company and we have had nothing but problems with the DPFs on VWs Audis ect people dont blast the car enough to clear the dense filter so it clogs up, lilcoz is correct in saying you can get it charged again but its only a temp fix... the only thing that keeps it clear is motorway driving our leasing companies have stopped paying out now because its down to driver error.. our contact at VW explained to me he has to sit down private buyers and explain the concept and driving style needed as believe it or not you can actualy purchase the same cars with out that filter ( higher emissions)

DPFs from the dealer are around 1k including fitting so in all fairness its more then worth taking it out.. for the time being unless you are traveling abroad ect.

as for the 600pound to take it out and map.. thats a disgrace taking it out meens only replacing it with a bit of pipe..as far as i am aware and turning it off via vag com? (gussing here)
and if you would like a remap or need one... go see this guy www.bigfishtuning.com his name is John and he knows his stuff

thanx for your reply. ive looked at decat pipes and they arent cheap + removal of dpf +fitting decat+ the remap. longlife make there own exhausts on site. i dont know if its a vagcom they use or something else. the guy i bought the car off is paying half.just bought it 6 weeks ago had to change e.p.s what a difference it made to performance like a new car the this happend a day later.took it on the motorway and blasted it for 40 miles then went into limp mode

I suppose its better than nothing that he's paying for half.

Another common fault that brings the DPF light on is the exhaust pressure sensor. Mine went and I had to have it replaced. I thought it was the DPF but it wouldn't regenerate. I don't think it goes into limp mode though if its the pressure sensor. So more than likely the DPF for you.

just seen your pics mint motor. maybe one day i"ll have one.at the moment really happy with my 170 quattro cant wait to get car done and see the difference

hi coss. can the warning lights be reset then can they come back again

If the fault is still there, then the warning light will come back. If the DPF is sorted, and then the fault code cleared, then you shouldn't see the light. Unless it happens again. I'll try and dig out the thread I did when it happened to me...

just seen your pics mint motor. maybe one day i"ll have one.at the moment really happy with my 170 quattro cant wait to get car done and see the difference

Thanks dude. I took exactly the same steps. Started off with the 170 Quattro, and a few years down the line, now I've jumped up to the S. I was more than happy with the 170! Loved driving around in it!

As for the difference, you'll love it! The torque it chucks out is impressive after the map!

thanx coss all advice was great not botherd about a bit of black smoke. just keep the wife happy driving my quattro lol.as i dont get a chance to drive it much as its for her work. i dont know if the dealer i bought it from knew about it or not but happy he"s helping me out
seems genuine enough.thanx again mate