Caught doing 98mph :(

Ghetto

Reaction score
Was taking a friend and his girl back home from a night out last night. It was 2am and there wasn't a car on the road. I was going too fast..One of my passengers asked me to slow down, and I did. I then passed a petrol station where a police car pulled out and followed me for about 2 miles. I was then pulled over to be told he caught me at 98mph and I have to go to court.
I really am gutted, and i feel like **** at the moment.
I'm really worried about how this is going to effect my insurance premiums.
Anyone have any advice (apart from slow down! I've learnt my lesson :p)

Man you was lucky that your friend told you to slow down when they did, or that could have been a years ban.

As for your insurance premiums, well you'll just have to wait and see what the outcome of the court will be. I don't think points make a great deal of difference, but not 100% on that.

Don't worry too much, it could have been worse; ban, car written off, friends hurt or killed, etc. it's only a fine at the end of the day.

Good luck Ghetto, and always look on the bright side of life.

Oh, and slow down.

Seems a bit harsh at that time surprised you didn't get a fixed penalty.

Insurance depends more on age and location and car than points unless it's serious like drink driving or dangerous driving. If your over 30 Liverpool Victoria don't even count points only bans and even then not for speeding.

You'll need the help of a solicitor in court. Providing you have no previous, plus it was late, no traffic etc you'll either be looking at a short ban (1-4 weeks) or a hefty fine plus 6 points.

All this proves is that the obsession with speeders in this country is a waste of time!

I'm assuming your license is clean at the moment?

In your favour it was dry, the roads whre empty and you where only doing 98mph, not the end of the world.

Going to court is easy, nice and straight forward and not nearly as bad as it sounds. It'll only be magistrates who you are up in front of and they are only members of the local community - not solictors or anything like that.

I've done it loads of times, dress smartly, be polite. Everything will be explained to you and the magistrates as you go.

I'd imagine you'll get 3 or maybe 4 poits plus a fine. Possibley a small increase in your premium.

Put it this way I have 9 current points for speeding and my isurance doesn't cost me the earth.

It's a bummer but hey it could have been much, much worse!!!!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and don't worry.

J.

yup, agree there, i have 9 points too, my premium (for the bike, car is acompany one) came down this year!! you do need to tell the insurance company though, not that you need telling, but a friend didnt and needed to claim the following year and got nowt...
if you have a good policy then speeding points dont normally count,
good luck, and chin up it's not that bad, 2mph off the 100... been that things would have been different....

[ QUOTE ]
Have a look here.

I've done alot of research on the subject since being caught, have a read.

I think though that you'll end up with 4/5 points and a £2-300 fine.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev that link is an absolute goldmine. I think it would be appreciated by all if you posted it as a thread in its own right.

Good stuff!

Just log it in your favourites , you never know when you may need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have a look here.

I've done alot of research on the subject since being caught, have a read.

I think though that you'll end up with 4/5 points and a £2-300 fine.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev that link is an absolute goldmine. I think it would be appreciated by all if you posted it as a thread in its own right.

Good stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mate, someone on here gave it to me when I got caught, so credit to them.

Kev.

Hope it all goes well, you need to show remorse..... they like that.

When do you go to court, have you a date yet?

STEVE

Ghetto - the police have already given you a verbal NIP - I believe you are only waiting for a court date and that could take up to 6 months?

I got ****** done today in southampton by one of those so called safety cans... Just waiting to get the summons(I'm assuming I got done I was going a tad over the posted limit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), theres go all hope of getting a clean license again

[ QUOTE ]

I got ****** done today in southampton by one of those so called safety cans... Just waiting to get the summons(I'm assuming I got done I was going a tad over the posted limit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), theres go all hope of getting a clean license again

[/ QUOTE ]

get a relative to take the points if you can - I've done this twice and there was no comeback.

It makes me mad for some reason.

I just spent 400 quids on a Road Angel 2 because I want to be more aware and not be caught out doing 2 mph downhill over the limit.

I really do try to keep to the implied limits but more than often you are more of a hazard going that sloww holding the traffic up with people up your chuff!!!!!

If your doing 40 in a 30 then fair enough, get done.

Have any of you lot been in an M3, 30 feels criminal.
This thing makes me laugh....

On speed awareness courses the instrcutor goes on about stopping distances and how long it takes to stop at 30. When my dad went on one he had everyone in stitches because he said " ok then if you in a Austin Mini and im in my porsche 911 Turbo whos gonna stop 30-0 quicker"?

It was worded better than I just put it but you get the idea...

DM - ramble ramble

Dave, I know what you're saying, but the limits are there, it's your choice if you break them or not, if you do, you have to be prepared to take the points/fine/ban.

You are afterall in control of your vehicle, you have to play within the rules or expect to be pulled up if you don't.

Kev.

Yes I know, but even though in control of the car. Your telling me you have never once gone 1 mph over? If so would you be deemed to be incontrolable of the car.... And the same applies at night where there are less than 50% hazards available.

I know you probably agree in some sort of fashion, and yes I have to abide by the rules or put up with the files/points. It just isn't being adopted to suite the roads/cars/drivers....

Not flaming here, just posting

I know you're not flaming, this is a discussion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I never said that I don't speed, I said that if you do, you have to be prepared to take the consequences, also, I never said that if you were over the limit you were out of control. My comment was mean't to be read as you are in control of what speed you travel at, therefore you are in control of if you break the limit or not.

I totaly agree with your comment about road conditions, traffic conditions and time of day argument. But unfortuantely for all of us, the limits are they, we know what they are, if we break them, we can only blame ourselves.

Kev.

agreed..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Imagine the situation... Audi A4 and a Porsche Boxster playing on an open dual carriage way, not one other car on the road, if any car came up, slowed to 70mph, passed, then booted it again. Clear dry day, little traffic...

Then letter through the post from the police telling me what I already know... my car goes fast!

Am I bitter!?

Well, there was only one person with their foot on my throttle that day and it was me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev.

The main problem is the inappropriate use of speed and even more the inappropriate use of speed limits. Several sections of the A1 dual-carriageway near me have recently had a 60 mph speed limit imposed. Totally unnecessary as the stretches are no more dangerous than the rest of the road. And you guessed it. Now they have added speed cameras - more revenue collectors.

Speed limits where appropriate are OK but the excessive use of inappropriate limits brings the whole system down.

I have driven quite a lot on German Autobahns. Generally there is no speed limit, but where there is it is there for a specific reason and drivers know this and generally obey it. But where there is no reason for a limit, none is applied and drivers are allowed to drive at what they consider is an appropriate speed for their and their cars ability. Hence it's not unusual to be driving as 120-130mph only to be passed by a Porsche 911 doing 150-160 mph or more quite safely. Because cars can and do travel faster the outside lane of most autobahns is kept as an overtaking lane. On many stretches lorries are restricted to the inside lane only.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I do firmly believe that the 70 mph speed limit on motorways is ridiculous and many of our speed limits are far too low for modern cars and are therefore totally ignored.

would that be the ones coming up from Debenhams on the dual carriageway with a 30mph limit?

Got done there myself about 3 years ago by a plod on a ped.

[ QUOTE ]
heheh like your style.

Autobahn all the way in most areas. GERMANS RULE, well they didn't us.

Anyways they STILL RULE!!!! hehehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

just remember guys... points mean prizes +++

You wont get done even by a camera van for +2 mph.

The standard rule is the speed limit +10% + 2mph.

i.e. in a 30mph limit you will only be penalised if caught at 35mph or over! 79mph in a 70 limit etc!

I know as i stopped and had a 40minute discussion with one of the cops sat in the back of a camera van. He was keen to show me the laser device and gasto device he can hook up in areas where the road is marked for distance.

Gave me great insight in how to best install my garage door opener - thanks copper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sorry Nervus but it depends where you live.

I know someone who was done for doing 76mph in a 70 limit.

The +10%+2mph is a guide only and you can indeed be done for doing 1 mph over the speed limit!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

It's a horrible wait for the court date mate, just don't get caught again between now and the court appearance.

It's no good standing in court saying how sorry you are if you've picked up another 3 points inbetween being caught and your date.

Kev.

No, there are allowed, by law, to be up to 10% out from your actual speed, either up or down.

I have looked further into the question of the accuracy of speedometers and found the following in the ACPO Guidelines on speeding, and the UK law regarding prosecution.
Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0% to +10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph.

So my comment was wrong. It seems that it can be 0% down and 10% up.

that's what i thought.

Ghetto, crack open a bottle of bubbly for the old ****, he might have a case!
(sorry dude, presume he's still with us)

[ QUOTE ]

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0% to +10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why anyone who gets pulled by the police and gets nicked is always told how lucky they are. eg:

You are driving along at an indicated 95mph. Blue lights, and the copper informs you that he has timed you at 86mph, but that he "knows you were doing much more than that". The driver accepts the fixed penalty in the mistaken belief that he was doing 95 and the copper in his kindness has decided to let him get away with an 86mph ticket. Obviously this is nonsense, but police use it all the time to pacify offenders, gain a brief rush of gratitude, and to increase the incidence of drivers who admit to speeding. If the police officer was really that kind he would let you off with a warning.

And don't believe the "I've got no choice but to nick you" line. I was nicked on a Saturday at 5am on the South Circular near Blackheath on an Aprilia RSVR doing approx 120mph in a 50 limit, and was let off with a warning. Thats real kindness.

Police patrol vehicles have to have a 'certified' speedometer which is much more accurate than a normal cars speedo, so they know exactly how fast you were going.

The continuing accuracy of these speedometers is not a foregone conclusion. They have to be checked regularly by means of a patrol car being driven and timed over an approved measured mile. This has to be recorded by the officer doing the check in his/her pocketbook.

I was caught doing a pretty high speed up the m4, got pulled over had a chat with the 2 coppers. I was in my R32 at the time and one of them was into his cars and asked what it went like. I said thats a pretty stupid question seeing as you;ve just nicked me for tanking it. I said I would let him have a go if he let me off my ticket. They laighed told me to slow down and that was then end of it.

500 yards up the road and I was off again... I never learn!

There are some very sound coppers out there

[ QUOTE ]

However Karcsi when you say
"That means if you are going too fast to notice a camera, then you were going to fast to react in time for any other unexpected event."

I was caught doing 98mph 800 yards down a straight motorway at night, I didn't even see the copper! So this doesn't apply in all situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I was thinking that as I was writing. But that 'should' rarely happen - what's the purpose of the camera/police car checking your speed there when there is clearly no high risk of an accident? It comes back to the age old question, are the cameras/police there to prevent an accident by preventing speeding in specific high risk locations, or just to catch you speeding for a quick buck?

i will join in with this, i also got caufgt doing 98 mph. 98.9 in fact, i got a 220 quid fine and 5 points, hav i stopped speeding? no. but i am a lot more aware and looking out for them. it hurts when u get caught. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
True. I was thinking that as I was writing. But that 'should' rarely happen - what's the purpose of the camera/police car checking your speed there when there is clearly no high risk of an accident? It comes back to the age old question, are the cameras/police there to prevent an accident by preventing speeding in specific high risk locations, or just to catch you speeding for a quick buck

[/ QUOTE ]

Any pretext about preventing accidents went out of the window long ago. I think it is much more the latter item - 'just to catch you for speeding for a quick buck'

I see they intend to use camera vans in the Wiltshire section (j14-j18) of the M4. No doubt they will soon be all over the motorway system.

I don't understand the hype over the motorway camera's in Wilts. They've been using them in Wales for over two years. In one 2 hour period when they first came into being they have over 250 motorists at over 80mph. A licence for South Wales Police to print money.