Rusty Discs

TTLAW

Reaction score
Guys,

Can any of you 3.2er's out their let me know if you have rusting front brake disks. I dont mean the brake surface but the main hub. Mine are getting quite bad. I have had three TT's and never suffered this before.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,
I had this problem with My A4 hubs, its probably the acid in the wheel cleaner that makes them oxidize and start to rust...

If you are into DIY then try this....

I spent a day taking each wheel off, cleaning the inside of the wheel of brake dust and tar, gentlly removing the rust off the hubs etc with a small brass wire brush from halfords, cleani and remove all the grit etc with spray brake cleaner and then painting them with high temperature paint.

Looks the biz!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
I had this problem with My A4 hubs, its probably the acid in the wheel cleaner that makes them oxidize and start to rust...

If you are into DIY then try this....

I spent a day taking each wheel off, cleaning the inside of the wheel of brake dust and tar, gentlly removing the rust off the hubs etc with a small brass wire brush from halfords, cleani and remove all the grit etc with spray brake cleaner and then painting them with high temperature paint.

Looks the biz!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.

I have never used acid based wheel cleaner. I am considering asking the dealer to sort the problem under warranty. I don't think I should be painting the hubs within 6 months of delivery. The rears are showing no signs of rust at all.

Steve

Mine were quite bad also and I always wondered if that could be a design fault.
Also I think the front are suffering more from heat and that could lead to some "colour" difference with the rear, but yeah I never found that reassuring
Never took it to the dealer tho, as I know they would have told me that it's perfectly normal....

I can vouch for the wheel cleaner making the discs go bad - happened to me yesterday! What a horrible sight that was, clean wheels with tyre shine applied to the rubber, and brown/orange discs hiding behind. Yuk!

Discs are cast iron and always do this after washing. After a 200 yard drive with a few brake applications they will be shiny again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry guys,

It is not the disc surface but the non contact surface that is rusting.

Steve

Mine do... So i shall paint them with som capiler color... Silver.

Try hammerite for the hubs, its fine and much cheaper than caliper paint. Use the Hammerite gloss for best results......

Mine has this as well, are you referring to the actual Hub ? Looks a bit unsightly but I also think the dealer may not be very helpful, I had this problem previously on a Seat Leon Cupra which showed signs of rusting after 2 months of ownership and was told it was normal, rejected the car anyway due to a long list of other problems. I will probably go down the DIY route but not until I check out the dealers response..