Cold start problem and expulsion with smell burning white smoke

Variante

Reaction score
The point is that a few months ago I noticed that my car will cost a little start in the morning, last month I changed the battery in Audi workshop and last thing has gotten worse, because now begins the third and start "tac,tac,tac" with the engine and white smoke from the exhaust. The rest of the day starts perfectly the first time and does not vibrate and smoke check. I pray you opinions and suggestions seriously, because I want to fix the problem before it gets bad weather, as I walk down hill.

I know this is a widespread problem in the engines BKD, but I have not found a good answer on the solution.

Thanks and regards.

Incidentally, my cylinder head is 03G 103 308 B code and does not consume coolant.

Starter motor maybe a bit lazy when cold?

Yes, it can be. I hear a slow metal "tack, tack, tack" in the front before starting. But then, what about the much white smoke?

Last edited:
You think so? Why not burn fuel well? What can be wrong?
thanks for reply

Ok friend, i will review the part. About this, when the starter motor fails, i think it is recorded in the vag-com...

anyway still do not understand why always the case in the morning, what do you think?

Last edited:
Because the engine and oil are very cold (It hasn't been on to keep warm, and night time is coldest time), the starter motor has to work harder.

In the day the engine and oil aren't as cold, and if the car has been on then they are warmed up, so the car will start easier.

I get it better. I thank you all people your help.

Greetings from Spain

Finally, there is here some manual about changing the starter motor in the Audi A3 TDI not automatic? Thanks

Hiya Mate
Just to clarify does it only struggle to start on the 1st attempt in the morning? correct
Do you get the strong diesel smell all the time or just in the morning? If its all the time and it smells like strong burning diesel it can be the glow plug module/glow plugs
I had the same issue with my bmw 330d and turned out to be the glow plug module

Hiya Mate
Just to clarify does it only struggle to start on the 1st attempt in the morning? correct
Do you get the strong diesel smell all the time or just in the morning? If its all the time and it smells like strong burning diesel it can be the glow plug module/glow plugs
I had the same issue with my bmw 330d and turned out to be the glow plug module

The burning diesel smell is only the first time in start in the morning. After all day the start is fine and no smoke. Thanks

hmm..If its your starter motor best thing to do is when it struggles to start smack the starter motor and if the engine fires up then its defo the starter motor. If its not the starter motor i will Certainly have the glow plug/module inspected :uhm:

Today I noticed that when I put the contact in the car at any time of day, appears briefly witness the heaters (orange spring). But in the morning, on first boot, car parks this witness never for a moment. Otherwise it would make sense right?. Do you think this may have something strange or should be?

Today I discovered oil dry on the boards of the EGR valve and gas inlet butterfly. Any suggestions on this problem? I need an answer, thanks.