Auto lights and Wipers - Central electrics question

jin2

Reaction score
Hi all,
as i am in need of having my windscreen replaced, I thought I would retro fit the auto lights and wippers.

My car is a 54 plate 2.0 tdi Sport, with Dsg.
The central electrics Vag number is: 8P0 907 279 A 17byte coding (I think the A revision means Highend)

After much searching around on the web I have found answers to most of my questions, the one that I realy need answerd is:
Will my central electrics modual support this function ?

Do you have access to VCDS? If so have a look on your CE module and look on byte 0 for rain sensor installed check box.
I believe that the F module and onwards support this but I I'm happy to be corrected

Ok I had a look today, I can see the long coding helper screen, there are some check box's (some are ticked some are not) but there are no labels to tell me what the check box's do.

I assume my label file for this modual needs amending?

Oh my vcds ver is 10.6

Ok, so after using my mates newer version of vcds the options for the central electrics modual now have labels :arco:

For my byte 0 I have:
A) Rain-/Light sensor installed (bit 6)
B) coming-home active (bit 7)

I assume that because I have these options I can infact install the auto lights and wippers ?

A is not high end, thats not to say it does/doesnt support the feature, C module supported this feature, as does its superseding parts F, K & P, also possibly a B given that was the initial released high end.

Now the issue here is, vcds may show it as a codable option, but it may not support it, you could try coding it & see if it rejects, which inturn usually means either it isnt detecting the connected device or it doesnt support.

Rather conflicting info from RT tbh as in the label files it shows A as high end & points it to the high end coding tables, but also says its a medium board & audi state it isnt high end just by working out via part numbers & superceding etc & I know 100% the A goes to a D & that wasnt high end.

Also A was very early on release so it may not have coding for the option anyway, it was a 17byte module iirc.

Only true way to now is to connect temp the sensor etc & see if it codes up & works as such.

Ok, so just tried to set the rain-/light sensor installed bit, it set and accepted the coding.
after it accepted the coding i check around and found no problems, after starting the car and testing the wipers, mirros windows ect, i scaned the cra again, the central electrics unit tells reports the following error.

02071 - Local Databus
004 - No Signal/Communication

and the coding screen is blank, so i can not undo the change.
Would this error just be reported because i do not have the mirror and rain sensor conected ?

CE errors dont neccessarily come up immediately after coding or clearing an existing code, so best to come out of module, turn of ignition, turn back on go back in, then check.

Your now reported errors are 1 of the things I advised could happen & the reason.

Ok, did that, it is still reporting the error.
Just a stupid question, but how would i correct the error if it does not go away by its self ?

You just have to disable the bits & it will clear, after you've manually cleared the faults shown already that is.

Ok, so I cannot talk to the module to recode it and the coding caused it to stop talking to the rest of the car.
Manually removing the error code does not allow me to talk to the modual, every time I come out of the modual and back in it's back.
Hmm, is it pos that I have killed the modual? If not what else could it be ? As it should not just stop talking to the rest of the car of no reason.

As I'm not there I cant really know what you've done, assuming you can communicate with other modules ok, have you unplugged battery or the module for a period to try & fix comms, also what version of vcds are you using?

I am using vcds 10.6, I will try disconnecting the battery tomorow, thanks for the help though, think I will leave this mod though.
Yes I can talk to all the other moduals in the car.

Is anyone else in this situation? Or did someone, by now, find out if the 8P0 907 279 A module is compatible with Auto Lights/Wipers and CH/LH functions?
I am changing the windscreen soon and have just bought an autodimming mirror, so i am going to try this in the next few days..

I checked today and the option appears on VCDS. It lets me check the box and apply the modifications, but afterwards it gives an error about not finding the rain sensor. So it might work, the only questions and problems i've read are about CH/LH.
Anyway, i'll post the updates as soon as i've made some progress.

If it codes & gives you dis warnings of system not functional then yes it will be possible to fit.

I checked everything today.

The CE is a 8P0 907 279 A.
So, the light and rain sensor - 4E0 955 559 A - is good. I checked it on another car with rain and light sensor from factory and it works. It even sees it in VCDS, with the brighteness levels. (0..7)
On my car, in VCDS, the brightness only appears "ON", even if i cover the sensor or put it in the sun. And it doesn't seem like it sees it.

The wiring - must be good - the auto dimming mirror is working, it had the same earth point. I even moved the earth to OEM grounding point just near the bonnet release lever, as others stated that the earth was the cause for the errors.

Still nothing, the problem is still there.

And it seems that it's common on 8P0 907 279 A. I have the same problem as the OP, after the car gives the actual errors on VCDS, sometimes the car stops talking to the computer. The coding screen is blank and i can't do anything.

The only solutions is disconnecting the car's battery.

So i'm left with it as it is, whenever i put the light switch in the Auto Position, the error appears on the DIS and disappers when i manually use the Lights..

Any possible solution? Can the CE be the problem?
Thanks..

It may just be that the module you have does not support the feature... It's not uncommon and I Have seen another car with the A module that uses a different type of light sensor and dimming mirror.
I should have someone that is selling up their C rev module next week or so which I know supports the auto lights as he already has that in his car.
PM me if you are interested in it and I can get you the details you need

Ok, it's official, the A rev module doesn't support the rain and light sensor. It was meant to only support the light sensor, back in 2004.

I hope to test a N module soon to see if it works..will be back with updates.

Just installed a C module, 21 bytes, everything works ok, no more errors. :yum: