s3 vs r32

kevin88

Reaction score
i got a s3 10 plate and drive my relative r32 other day which is a 06 plate, i wana say how comes it feels like r32 actually feels so much quicker? both car is original

total different power delivery but there is no way its quicker. Im suprised you feel this way. everytime ive driven or been in a R32 i think they feel slow. Lethargic

seriously? thing is what i thought was r32 just has that massive pull all the way through, but my s3 is like smooth, still pretty quick but dont get that buzz lool

What S3RYE said.

With the r32 the power/throttle response will be more instant due to no turbo to spool. But there is no way it's quicker, it weighs more(~1590kgs versus S3 ~1460) and has less power.

Well I ran 13.8 quarter and 5.2 0-60 at york raceway with a cat back and remap on my 3.2 , don't know what an 8p s3 will run but that gives a general idea , also 60-100 mph in 8 seconds ( got a YouTube vid I can link up if you want)

yeh that be cool if u still got that youtube video, just tht i been driving a r32 for a few days and it relly got me thinking r32 is actually quicker than s3 but on the book it does say s3 is supose to be quicker.. both cars is dsg as well, maybe its me in the head probably the fact i been driving it for quite a while now gettin use to the speed too

In real world terms, a healthy R32 against an S3 on the road, dont think there would be much in it to be honest! my 2001 S3 was mapped to approx 265 bhp and there was hardly anything between it and my pals 06 R32! so your 10 reg S3 is 265bhp, unless its mapped?? should be fairly close to the R32 your using! only one way to find out!!!!!!!:yes:

Having lived with a 3.2 for 4 years and a S3 for a few months the 3.2 is probably quicker in day to day use. Its far more tractable and the power is more linear . Thats why everyone remaps an S3 because they are a real dissapointment but once mapped then its a different matter but only at illegal speeds etc.

I had some fun with a mapped R32 and my S3 was still quicker standard.Ive owned both the MK4 and MK5 R32's and i loved them both but got rid after a years worth of ownership.Ive had my S3 over a year now and i have no compulsion to sell it.Its a much better car day to day and huge fun.

The S3 feels quicker (as standard) from the kick in the back from the turbos, but in reality I'd say there is very little difference day to day.

Where the S3 shows a clean set of heels is when its properly modded. Stage 2+ S3 against my mates Mk4 R32 Golf.....:bye:

I respect the R32 engine, over the years it's gone from a VR6 2.8 with about 174bhp in the Mk3 Golf up to the V6 3.2 pushing 250bhp. It's always sounded fantastic, but then you think about BMW's 3.2 M3 with 321bhp (albeit a straight six - CSL I think is 361bhp), and you wonder if there was anything left in the old girl. A mate has just has just had a V6 A3 supercharged by Turner Developments (set aside £9k) and it's now pushing into the mid 400's, so there is tuning potential there.

The S3 with a few hundred quid remap happily pushes 310bhp+ and it's all good. The V6 offers different thrills, no lag, linear power, and it's still a rapid car, it comes down to horses for courses really.

I just cant see how you can get 5.2 Seconds from an old 3.2 ?

To put that in perspective thats 1.5 seconds quicker than stock, .5 second quicker than a S3 and only .5 second slower than a RS3. with 100bhp less and a lot more weight.

Last edited:
I thought only the White DIS shows mph?

How did u enable it on yours? Wouldn't mind having that :)

Watch it be something really simple, making ME look simple lol

Always going to be haters lol , I don't really care , the vid shows what it can do but to be honest that's slow for me anyway considering my old cars and no
Matter what you have there is always something faster

No one hates you mate, I just wondered how you got those 0-60 times out of a A3. TB fair the video dosnt mean a lot unless you think your car is really doing 60mph when it says 60mph.

Last edited:
its 1 mph out at 60 according to tomtom and iphone gps,without sounding like an ********,either you had a bad 3.2 or i have a good one,or there is a bit of elitism now you have an S3,either way,the video is proof

I thought only the White DIS shows mph?

How did u enable it on yours? Wouldn't mind having that :)

Watch it be something really simple, making ME look simple lol

on the end of the wiper stalk bud,push the button,it will give trip1,trip2 then MPH then check/set etc where you can see the oil temp and chassis codes and reset the trip values

I got 5.0s out of a low mileage S2+ S3, so either your car is an anomaly, or you're a driving legend. I was only getting 5.4s with Stg1 (all at Brunters).

its 1 mph out at 60 according to tomtom and iphone gps,without sounding like an ********,either you had a bad 3.2 or i have a good one,or there is a bit of elitism now you have an S3,either way,the video is proof

I dont think i had a bad A3, it was giving just over 250 bhp on the rolling road after a remap and + 25 lb/ft extra torque. It was DSG which is quicker than manual as well unless you are hitting 60mph in first :)
I'm not sure why you think having an s3 is elitism ? given my post No. 8 on this thread.
We will just have to accept you have a stock 3.2 thats probably the fastest in the world and 1.5s quicker than stock and as Warren says...you are a driving legend as well. Congratulations :)

I dont think i had a bad A3, it was giving just over 250 bhp on the rolling road after a remap and + 25 lb/ft extra torque. It was DSG which is quicker than manual as well unless you are hitting 60mph in first :)
I'm not sure why you think having an s3 is elitism ? given my post No. 8 on this thread.
We will just have to accept you have a stock 3.2 thats probably the fastest in the world and 1.5s quicker than stock and as Warren says...you are a driving legend as well. Congratulations :)

LOL,clearly....

not really any more i can do to prove it so...i dunno,guess i must be a liar and a wizard with forging videos..im sorry for upsetting you :shutup2:

LOL,clearly....

not really any more i can do to prove it so...i dunno,guess i must be a liar and a wizard with forging videos..im sorry for upsetting you :shutup2:

Video is clearly not forged - I've watched it twice! Not taking anything away from your car or your legendary driving skills here but I doubt very much if your DIS speedo is accurate to 1mph - even GPS via Tom Tom & smart phones are going to be out by at least 1mph at 100mph and probably at 60mph too. 1Hz GPS chip to blame I'm afraid - what you need is an external 10Hz GPS receiver for accurate timing. Also, having watched the video the second time I also think 8 seconds is being optimistic, I would say it's closer to 9 seconds. I suggest timing software such as racechrono combined with the 10Hz chip above or a Vbox for your true time.

So to sum up you've probably gone from 58mph to 97mph in 9 seconds which is still respectable for a 3.2.

As for the S3 0-62 times stock is 5.7 seconds which is probably going to be 5.5 seconds for 0-60mph

In addition, some people have been known to make such videos pointing down a steep hill with a tail wind:moa:

ok....sorry for upsetting the S3 owners.....clearly something wrong with my speedo ,god forbid my car is really that quick :asskicking:

I just cant see how you can get 5.2 Seconds from an old 3.2 ?

To put that in perspective thats 1.5 seconds quicker than stock, .5 second quicker than a S3 and only .5 second slower than a RS3. with 100bhp less and a lot more weight.

Certainly I couldn't drag those times out of my old 3.2 either.....

delusion [dih-loo-zhuhn]
noun
1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.

i love this forum,guess i should have stuck to jap cars,their owners are generally a not so elitist and up their own ****

all hail the S3,nothing compares

i love this forum,guess i should have stuck to jap cars,their owners are generally a not so elitist and up their own ****

I don't think most people here are like that...admittedly some are,and that will always be the case with any car,including Japanese ones.

The S3's big problem is that it isn't the car it could have been,but I guess that wouldn't have fitted into Audi's corporate range plans,and would possibly have rendered an RS3 unlikely in the extreme.
It needs a good bit of work to extract the potential,but then you can say that for the RS3,TT-RS and so on.

Last edited:

That's just plain silly.
Turn up at Inters next year and show the S3's up

the thing here is i have owned seven skyline in my past,started with an R33 GTR and joined the GTROC,then bought an R34 GTT for Jayne,then we decided to start up another business and decided the best option was to sell the cars to free up the money,long story short we bought a GTST R33 (the lower model) about 6 months later and the GTROC was not a nice place to be,they were so elitist it was unreal so i decided to move to the skylineowners forum,why on earth they thought they were better than you as they had a GTR was beyond me,there are many many gtst's out there that can wipe the floor with a GTR,it just brought that back to me here,seems if you have a 3.2 and show its a tad faster than an S3 you are clearly mistaken and there is some issue with your speedo or you are just a liar...

the thing here is i have owned seven skyline in my past,started with an R33 GTR and joined the GTROC,then bought an R34 GTT for Jayne,then we decided to start up another business and decided the best option was to sell the cars to free up the money,long story short we bought a GTST R33 (the lower model) about 6 months later and the GTROC was not a nice place to be,they were so elitist it was unreal so i decided to move to the skylineowners forum,why on earth they thought they were better than you as they had a GTR was beyond me,there are many many gtst's out there that can wipe the floor with a GTR,it just brought that back to me here,seems if you have a 3.2 and show its a tad faster than an S3 you are clearly mistaken and there is some issue with your speedo or you are just a liar...

Maybe I was unlucky with mine,as although it has a lovely engine,it simply wasn't as quick.

Not far off,but then with 230 odd bhp Vs 260 ish,you'd expect it to be close,but the power/weight ratio alone was telling.

I've never found any real issues with other members here,or at VAGOC,where there are some people with truly quick cars,and everyone generally wants to help rather than dish out the criticisms.

on the end of the wiper stalk bud,push the button,it will give trip1,trip2 then MPH then check/set etc where you can see the oil temp and chassis codes and reset the trip values
Still cant figure it lol:unsure:

I dont honestly think its anything to do with a German or Jap site TBH......pop over to the Scoobie site and tell them you 3.2 is quicker than their STI WRX etc..
The point is most of us S3 owners have owned 3.2's and without exception we can agree on most of the excellent qualities of a NA V6 engine from its instant response and smoothness to its brilliant sound. We are Audi fans and dont get a kick out of telling any other audi fans our cars are quicker. We have as much respect for the 140 tdi group as we do the tuned S3 brigade.
Words like elitist, up our own ***** and Haters are not really going to win you browny points here. I could list you a 100 great things about the 3.2, i loved mine for 4 years but it is not quicker than a S3 and certainly not quicker than my Stg1 revo S3. The 3.2 is less powerful and heavier. It cant defy the laws of physics.

Reactions: pinterovski
This is all a bit childish! reminds me of the vauxhall corsa forum or saxo forums:p
We all love our Audi's whatever model...

This is all a bit childish! reminds me of the vauxhall corsa forum or saxo forums:p
We all love our Audi's whatever model...

yep,i give up now lol

The reset button? how do i get the MPH up??

pressed once it will show trip2,pressed again it will show mph,pressed again it will show a menu where you can check engine oil temp,chassis code and reset all trip computer values

will do a short vid to help you (as long as im not told its fake haha...no no,sorry (please take that as a joke))